Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David2144

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Have a mid-2010 macbook pro and I installed a vertex 2 like 3 years ago. It's still running fine somehow but I don't want to risk losing my data. Am I paranoid or should I get a new ssd? preferably one that is sata 2 since that's the limit of this chipset.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Have a mid-2010 macbook pro and I installed a vertex 2 like 3 years ago. It's still running fine somehow but I don't want to risk losing my data. Am I paranoid or should I get a new ssd? preferably one that is sata 2 since that's the limit of this chipset.

Why not doing regular backups in a cheap external HDD? When your Vertex 2 definitely fail there will be even more reliable SSDs...

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

OMG just make a backup. How can you worry about your data and not have a backup? That is just stupid, sorry...

I don't know if they still make SATA 2 only SSDs. But any SATA 3 SSD should do fine, and you can still benefit from it later if you change your machine (though this is less likely now with all the new Macs having blade SSDs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.