Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeezelP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Hi guys

I've found an mbp off eBay fir quite a reasonable . He says there are no defects and has only been " testing software" for work on it.

Does testing software damage a computers hardware in any way? Perhaps of the software is unstable it can cause certain problems ...?

Also the other thing is he is selling it formatted. Could this mean anything?

I understand eBay is eBay so u do so at ur own risk but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated

Thanks guys

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I can't answer those questions, but how much cheaper is it than a refurb that has a warranty from Apple?

DeezelP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
The bidding is started about a grand cheaper than one in refurb. But that could be suspect

Can I ask are the refurbs ok, do they get many people complaining about them..?

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
You don't find it strange that it's $1000 less than a refurbish? So is it selling for around $500 then? Apple refurbs are as good as new.

DeezelP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
You don't find it strange that it's $1000 less than a refurbish? So is it selling for around $500 then? Apple refurbs are as good as new.

Lol I do find it strange. However the price is now upto a grand and it still got a few hours to go.

Regarding the refurbs, if they are as good as new, why not sell them as new? Is there really nothing wrong with them?

Do refurb users hv comps with shorter life spans? Can anyone share experience on them?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Regarding the refurbs, if they are as good as new, why not sell them as new? Is there really nothing wrong with them?

Do refurb users hv comps with shorter life spans? Can anyone share experience on them?

1. There really is nothing wrong with a refurb - it has to pass the same testing as a new machine.

2. They are not sold as "new" because they are not "new."

3. They do not have shorter life spans.

4. Search is a wonderful thing - try it and you'll see innumerable threads asking your exact same questions.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hi guys
I've found an mbp off eBay fir quite a reasonable . He says there are no defects and has only been " testing software" for work on it.
Does testing software damage a computers hardware in any way? Perhaps of the software is unstable it can cause certain problems ...?
Also the other thing is he is selling it formatted. Could this mean anything?
I understand eBay is eBay so u do so at ur own risk but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

The bidding is started about a grand cheaper than one in refurb. But that could be suspect
Can I ask are the refurbs ok, do they get many people complaining about them..?

Lol I do find it strange. However the price is now upto a grand and it still got a few hours to go.

No manufacturer in the right mind will sell you used equipment as 'new', because that would be fraud.

Having bought two items from the refurb store, my experience has been great. One was an iPod, and the other a MacBook Air. Zero problems with those two items, and cosmetically in 'new' condition. The items are however not shipped in the usual shiny new box. You get a full warranty, and the usual 2-week return privilege, as well as the option of buying AppleCare. The savings on maxed-out Desktops and Laptops are typically in the $500 to $600 range.

Not to say that there aren't any good deals out there in the private marketplace, there are, but they usually come with a small degree of risk. Your tolerance for that risk, or aversion thereto, will guide you whether you think it's worth to try to save a little more money, or play it 'safe'.

Feel free to browse the internet re others' experiences with Apple Refurbs, but you will find a predominantly positive experience is the norm. Best of Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.