Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revan12200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
When a macbook pro has low battery, it is meant to goto sleep, but instead my macbook runs out of power and dies. Is there a way to fix this problem so the computer just sleeps until I connect my charger and it becomes awake again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Early 2011, OS X 10.9.2.

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 5905
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5965
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 885
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 339
Voltage (mV): 12575

System Power Settings:
AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake on LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
Standby Delay: 4200
Standby Enabled: 0
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
Reduce Brightness: Yes
Standby Delay: 4200
Standby Enabled: 0

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I don't think it directly influences your problem, but before troubleshooting I would really consider updating OS to 10.9.3. Who knows, maybe the issue will simply disappear?

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I'd try an SMC reset and see where that gets you. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Otherwise I'm seeing your cycle count is quite high on the battery (885) and it could just be a matter of an aging battery not working quite as it should. After all, 3+ years for a battery is fairly decent.

Revan12200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
I'd try an SMC reset and see where that gets you. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Otherwise I'm seeing your cycle count is quite high on the battery (885) and it could just be a matter of an ageing battery not working quite as it should. After all, 3+ years for a battery is fairly decent.

Should I recalibrate my battery, would that help?

----------

I don't think it directly influences your problem, but before troubleshooting I would really consider updating OS to 10.9.3. Who knows, maybe the issue will simply disappear?

Ok, just doing that now

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Mine started doing that shortly before the battery died. It would be a bit surprising in your case, since the status says "Normal", but at close to 900 cycles and what seems to be less than 80% of the original capacity left (the design capacity is 6900 mAh I believe), it seems your battery is approaching the end of its life.

If you have AppleCare you can check whether you are eligible for a repair.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Mine started doing that shortly before the battery died. It would be a bit surprising in your case, since the status says "Normal", but at close to 900 cycles and what seems to be less than 80% of the original capacity left (the design capacity is 6900 mAh I believe), it seems your battery is approaching the end of its life.
A battery has plenty of life left after it drops below 80% health. I agree that if there is AppleCare coverage and it's below 80%, it makes sense to see if they will replace it free. However, a battery can continue to be used if the health is 70% or 50% or 30%, as long as it continues to hold sufficient charge to meet the needs of the user and doesn't show signs of swelling.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
A battery has plenty of life left after it drops below 80% health. I agree that if there is AppleCare coverage and it's below 80%, it makes sense to see if they will replace it free. However, a battery can continue to be used if the health is 70% or 50% or 30%, as long as it continues to hold sufficient charge to meet the needs of the user and doesn't show signs of swelling.

Yes, I fully agree that a battery remains usable with 1k+ cycles and a lower capacity.
However the OPs battery is showing some signs of malfunction (unless it is a software issue). I've had a few cases where I would get the "10 minutes left" warning and only seconds later the machine would just die, destroying any unsaved work. So if none of the above suggestions can solve the problem, a replacement might be a good solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.