Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
I have a 2006 late Macbook Pro2,2 core 2 duo 2.16 2gb ram 160gb hard drive 15 inch and i currently have 10.5.8 installed. When i try to install Snow leopard it says "cant install on this machine" but i have all the system requirements for it. Any reason why it would do this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a 2006 late Macbook Pro2,2 core 2 duo 2.16 2gb ram 160gb hard drive 15 inch and i currently have 10.5.8 installed. When i try to install Snow leopard it says "cant install on this machine" but i have all the system requirements for it. Any reason why it would do this?
Where did you get the Snow Leopard disc? Did you buy the retail version or are you trying to use a grey disc that came with another Mac? The latter won't work.

superspeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Not the grey disk. Is there anyway to reformat the whole hard drive then install snow leopard? I lost my original disk that came with the macbook pro and dont have my leopard disk on me. Would reformatting it on a windows computer then plugging it back in work? i just want to do a fresh install.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not the grey disk. Is there anyway to reformat the whole hard drive then install snow leopard? I lost my original disk that came with the macbook pro and dont have my leopard disk on me. Would reformatting it on a windows computer then plugging it back in work? i just want to do a fresh install.
If you have the retail SL disc, just boot from that and you will be able to reformat the drive and install SL. You can't format your Mac's drive properly with Windows.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can completely erase the hard drive, if you want to.
Boot to your Snow Leopard DVD.
Run Disk Utility from the (Utilities) menu
Click the erase tab.

while you are in the Disk Utility, you can check to see the format of the hard drive. You can't install Snow Leopard unless the hard drive "Partition Map Scheme" is GUID (not APM/APT/Apple Partition Map, etc.
The installer won't let you install directly to a hard drive that is not formatted GUID.

superspeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
The problem is i get the same error even on disk utility when booting it from the disk. "says cant be installed on this computer" which is weird. I clicked and highlighted the partition on the disk utility on 10.5.8 and it shows up as guid. So i am not sure what my options are as i lost my leopard disk to reformatt the drive.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, you misunderstand...

Run Disk Utility, from the Utilities menu - ignore any message that says you can't install (you're not installing anything, just running Disk Utility)

Click the hard drive (the line with manufacturer's info), then click the Partition tab. Change the partition drop down to "1 Partition" and click the Apply button. Double check that the partition is GUID.
When that completes, it should let you install.
This is all assuming that you have a commercial Snow Leopard installer DVD - and NOT a DVD that shipped with a different Mac model. That one would complain that "software can't be installed on this computer", but that would, in no way, affect booting to that DVD and running Disk Utility.

BTW, the link that oldhifi posted is the Apple Store, where you can purchase a real Snow Leopard DVD - which will work if you can't use the DVD that you have now.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
Only $20, and they'll ship it right out to you... :D

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
No, you misunderstand...

Run Disk Utility, from the Utilities menu - ignore any message that says you can't install (you're not installing anything, just running Disk Utility)

Click the hard drive (the line with manufacturer's info), then click the Partition tab. Change the partition drop down to "1 Partition" and click the Apply button. Double check that the partition is GUID.
When that completes, it should let you install.
This is all assuming that you have a commercial Snow Leopard installer DVD - and NOT a DVD that shipped with a different Mac model. That one would complain that "software can't be installed on this computer", but that would, in no way, affect booting to that DVD and running Disk Utility.

BTW, the link that oldhifi posted is the Apple Store, where you can purchase a real Snow Leopard DVD - which will work if you can't use the DVD that you have now.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
Only $20, and they'll ship it right out to you... :D

I think he needs the Apple DVD...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.