Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Fujitsu to make 1.8-inch drives

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Fujitsu to make 1.8-inch drives
Description:: Toshiba is getting a new challenger in the mobile hard drive market

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:26 PM   #2
bbyrdhouse
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to bbyrdhouse Send a message via Skype™ to bbyrdhouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Fujitsu to make 1.8-inch drives
Description:: Toshiba is getting a new challenger in the mobile hard drive market

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
1.8 inch drives? Is this the size drives they use in the iPod?

I wish there were a portable hard drive the same form factor size as the 60Gb iPod.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:36 PM   #3
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrdhouse
1.8 inch drives? Is this the size drives they use in the iPod?
Yes. They're really bigger than that (about 2.1 inches), drive makers like to quote the sizes of the platters inside instead of the boxes. Then again, they also like to quote everything in inches, even though nothing's been built that way since the 1980s. Go figure.
Quote:
I wish there were a portable hard drive the same form factor size as the 60Gb iPod.
They exist, but they tend to sell for as much as if not more than iPods. The iPod drives are basically the same PC Card drives that notebooks have used for years.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
bbyrdhouse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
...They exist, but they tend to sell for as much as if not more than iPods. The iPod drives are basically the same PC Card drives that notebooks have used for years.
Do you have any links or any names? The smallest one I can find is still about twice as thick as the iPod and at least an inch or two longer and wider.

Wouldn't it be neat to have an external H/D that was "chromed out" like the back of the iPod. With a USB 2 connector.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Any idea when there will be an 80GB 1.8 inch harddrive?

Or a single platter 40GB?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrdhouse
Do you have any links or any names? The smallest one I can find is still about twice as thick as the iPod and at least an inch or two longer and wider.
When I cared about that, I just ended up buying iPods. They were invariably cheaper than the bare drives. Since oh, about half a year ago, I came to the conclusion that 2.5" drives were the way to go, the size and weight penalty isn't enough to care about and the capacity for the money is a night and day difference.
Quote:
Wouldn't it be neat to have an external H/D that was "chromed out" like the back of the iPod. With a USB 2 connector.
I liked them better when they had FireWire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharewaredemon
Any idea when there will be an 80GB 1.8 inch harddrive? Or a single platter 40GB?
Those have been out for a while, such as Toshiba MK8007GAH and MK4007GAL. It's a mystery why Apple haven't used them.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:59 PM   #7
bbyrdhouse
macrumors 6502

Although, I just came across this drive from Transcend. http://pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/prod-...storejet-3.jpg
The link to the product page is here http://pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/memor...hard-drive.asp

This drive is very small and uses the 1.8 inch hard drive.
Price for 40Gb = around $260
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
maya
macrumors 68040

Spinning HDD in a small package is sooooo 1990's, lets get down with the flash drives.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion