Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
New a little help here. Really considering going over to Android from my 5s. Really prefer the openness of the OS, tweak to my liking, and stuff like that. My only concern is I don't know what I actually need to do. Like, I'm not entirely sure how to transfer my iCloud contacts to my Google Contacts. What would be cool is if I could set that up now, have my contacts constantly syncing to that, and whenever I have the money and am ready to make the switch, I can do just that. Also, I have my contacts synced in iOS with Facebook and Twitter. Not sure what kind of impact that will have, but I'll probably shut that off whenever I actually switch over. Transferring my photos would be nice too, although not entirely necessary.

So, how did YOU overcome this? Any tips or tricks?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
There's migration tools that will help you get your icloud information to Google. If you get a motorola device, Motorola Migrate will do just that. You can also sync your facebook and twitter contacts with Android as well. And if you even decide to go back to iOS, Google is much more platform agnostic and everything will sync nicely back with iOS.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Honestly just took the plunge and learned as I went.

May be easier said than done but I really liked the S3 at the time of when I was pondering and tired of the 4 and 4S line so I made the jump.

Having that been 3 years ago now, maybe more I am looking for something new again.

Fed up with Touchwiz on the Samsung devices and it has soured me on other Android experiences such as a Google Play edition or a Stock experience.

I enjoyed the stability of iOS and looking back now can live without the cons of not having them.

Wouldnt say I hate Android as I have really enjoyed my phones but just annoyed or frustrated with the little things that seem to always pop up out of nowhere.

Now sitting back and waiting to see what Apple does for a larger screen and also contemplating a jump to the WP after their recent update.

Good luck with your decision as in the end, its really yours and what works best for you.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, I always switch devices, so the move isn't hard for me. As long as I can transfer my iTunes songs over to my Android phone, I am fine. If the song is iTunes exclusive, then I will use my MacBook to download then transfer it over to my Android device. Of course, I won't have to do that yet, as I still have my iPhone and iPad -- both are in the drawer and never get use. I guess I'll sell them.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I also just took the plunged and never looked back. I did lose over $200 worth of apps (mostly games) but I didn't care. It was rough back then since Android wasn't as mature as it was today. Looking back on it now, I'm glad that I did. My first Android was a HTC Inspire 4G and didn't like it but my parents loved theirs. I switched to an AT&T Capitvate which was a PoS but due to CM, it made it bearable until I got the Samsung S II, which I was awesome.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Lost 5-600 dollars worth of apps music and movies but I'm happy with my Nexus 4. Sometimes I feel as if I will never go back to the iPhone and sometimes I feel like picking up an iPhone 6 if the screen is bigger.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
New a little help here. Really considering going over to Android from my 5s. Really prefer the openness of the OS, tweak to my liking, and stuff like that. My only concern is I don't know what I actually need to do. Like, I'm not entirely sure how to transfer my iCloud contacts to my Google Contacts. What would be cool is if I could set that up now, have my contacts constantly syncing to that, and whenever I have the money and am ready to make the switch, I can do just that. Also, I have my contacts synced in iOS with Facebook and Twitter. Not sure what kind of impact that will have, but I'll probably shut that off whenever I actually switch over. Transferring my photos would be nice too, although not entirely necessary.

What kind of phone? If it's a Samsung, just use smart switch. If you buy from a BBY, the Samsung store will do it for you. Just make sure your phone is backed up to iCloud and know your user id and password.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Go to iCloud.com on you computer and enter your I'd and password. Then go to your contacts and select all then export as vcard and save to your desktop. Then go to your gmail account and go to contacts and import, then select the vcard you just saved. That will bring all your contacts to Google. At this point if you want you can start using Google contacts instead of iCloud contacts on your iPhone, and this will keep them in sync, just set up your Google account on your iPhone and make sure contacts is selected to sync, then go into your main iCloud account and deselect contacts.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Deleted iTunes entirely from my PC which caused 100% CPU usage.

Have a backup of all my media files onto my hard drive and USB flash drive.

Get comparable apps found on Android.

Contacts is all backed up on my Gmail or in vCard form saved in memory.

Sold my iPhone.

Made the switch.

Never looked back.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
The process I used on Friday when I switched to a Nexus 5, where all of my contact/calendar data was stored in iCloud...

Contacts:
  1. Go to iCloud.com and login
  2. Click on Contacts
  3. Press command+A to highlight/select all of your contacts
  4. Click on the gear menu in the lower left corner and choose "Export to VCard"
  5. Login to Google.com/Contacts
  6. Click on More > Import
  7. Choose the VCard file from the iCloud export
  8. Wait a few minutes for the contacts to populate on your Android device

Calendar:
  1. Download SolCalendar to your Android device
  2. Open SolCalendar
  3. I forget if it prompts you to add a calendar or if you have to click settings
  4. Select iCloud as the calendar type/provider
  5. Enter your iCloud email address and password

Email:
Open the mail client of your choice (I'm currently using the built in Mail app) and add each email account. Gmail obviously gets picked up easily. Personal domain addresses (not yahoo, iCloud, etc) will need their own settings added, which can likely be found in your old phone's settings. iCloud email settings can be found here - HT4864, iCloud Mail Server Settings for Email Clients

Apps:
Search the Google Play store, you'll be surprised by how many iOS exclusive apps have since been ported over to Android. So far the only one I've found (from my list of frequent apps) that is still iOS exclusive is the Nike Fuelband app, though I knew that going in.

Aside from that it's not terribly different although I suspect that varies from phone to phone. As of right now I'm not sure I'll keep my Nexus 5 once the iPhone 6 is released but that could definitely change.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Incredibly informative. Thanks for all of the input!! I know someone asked what phone I was getting and I'll probably end up with whatever the new Nexus is or the Moto X+1. I totally forgot Motorola makes a migration assistant, so that's definitely useful to know.

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Incredibly informative. Thanks for all of the input!! I know someone asked what phone I was getting and I'll probably end up with whatever the new Nexus is or the Moto X+1. I totally forgot Motorola makes a migration assistant, so that's definitely useful to know.

The only thing I noticed with the Motorola assistant was it created new calendars and Contact groups called 'iCloud' -- I had to move them back out to the main root level.

The Smooth Sync app is prefect for viewing your iOS calendar & contacts in Android. This way you can keep synching with other iOS users and not have to make a major leap to Google.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
The only thing I noticed with the Motorola assistant was it created new calendars and Contact groups called 'iCloud' -- I had to move them back out to the main root level.

The Smooth Sync app is prefect for viewing your iOS calendar & contacts in Android. This way you can keep synching with other iOS users and not have to make a major leap to Google.

That sounds absolutely perfect. Thanks!

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
In 2012, my then girlfriend (now wife) was on Verizon and I was using an iPhone 4 on AT&T. Since she traveled a lot for work, we really chewed through our limited minutes plans. Verizon was also offering their double data deal for new 4G LTE phones. Add all that up and I ended up with a Droid Razr on Verizon as my first Android phone. Have since flopped between iPhone 5, HTC One, and now Samsung GS5. I enjoy both platforms.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Now that I've decided to switch, I want to get either the Nexus 5 or the Moto X. Probably the Nexus because I like the larger screen. Would it be okay to get one now or should I wait for the new one? I'm not real in tune with Android rumors and new phone release cycles and whatnot

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Now that I've decided to switch, I want to get either the Nexus 5 or the Moto X. Probably the Nexus because I like the larger screen. Would it be okay to get one now or should I wait for the new one? I'm not real in tune with Android rumors and new phone release cycles and whatnot

I am a recent switcher and I tried both phones for about a month. Everyone will have a different opinion but here is what I noticed Nexus 5 vs Moto X;

• Screen - much, much better on the N5
  • Cameras - I think it was about the same. HDR+ mode on N5 is good enough (similar to an iPhone 5)
  • Battery - Big advantage to the Moto X. I have battery anxiety all day on the N5. The Qi charging on the N5 is sweet.
  • Signal Strength - has been good on both. Both phones hold on to calls in areas where my iPhone 5S drops (AT&T LTE).
  • Call Volume - Moto X. The earpiece hole on the N5 is round and if you are not right on top of it, well.... Also, I have noticed the mic issue other people mention with the N5 (muted or muffled mic). Covering the noise cancellation mic has helped slightly. It's the one thing pushing me to a different phone.
  • Pocketability - Moto X. Sure everyone loves the bigger screens but try carrying a Note around in your pocket. Coming from the iPhone, you may car about overall size. The Moto X strikes a great balance between larger screen, one-handed use and low profile in your pocket.

Even with potential replacements on the horizon, I wouldn't hesitate buying either the Moto X or the N5 right now. They are still good phones. If you're not sure you'll like the OS, look at something like the Moto G. Much cheaper and the newer ones support LTE. Your other option is to buy a NiB or slightly used one on Swappa.

Now that I have gotten more comfortable with Anrdoid, I am looking at selling my iPhone 5 + N5 and use the cash towards an HTC M8.

Last edited:

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
make sure you turn off your iMessage :D

This...is not to be overlooked if you use iMessage. And....know how to explain to others how to turn it off for your contact info on their iOS devices, because some will still have issues. I had to walk 5-6 frequent contacts that I used iMessage with through the process of changing my iMessage delivery from 'blue to green' on their iPhones without losing the text history.

A lot of other great advice already. I moved iCloud contacts to Google via Cloudsync.

Made the switch over a month ago to an LG G2, then to a HTC One M8, from using iOS devices since the first gen iPhone.

Still have an iPad, although it sees much less use. And...I find myself hating the home button on it, and frequently tapping the screen for 'knock on'. LOL.

Having lots of fun modding w/custom roms on my HTC M8 (like jb'ing many moons ago)...just did the Viper V4A Audio mod....and wow. Old music is new again!

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
This...is not to be overlooked if you use iMessage. And....know how to explain to others how to turn it off for your contact info on their iOS devices, because some will still have issues. I had to walk 5-6 frequent contacts that I used iMessage with through the process of changing my iMessage delivery from 'blue to green' on their iPhones without losing the text history.

A lot of other great advice already. I moved iCloud contacts to Google via Cloudsync.

Made the switch over a month ago to an LG G2, then to a HTC One M8, from using iOS devices since the first gen iPhone.

Still have an iPad, although it sees much less use. And...I find myself hating the home button on it, and frequently tapping the screen for 'knock on'. LOL.

Having lots of fun modding w/custom roms on my HTC M8 (like jb'ing many moons ago)...just did the Viper V4A Audio mod....and wow. Old music is new again!

I agree, lots of great advice and making this an easy switch for me.

I am a recent switcher and I tried both phones for about a month. Everyone will have a different opinion but here is what I noticed Nexus 5 vs Moto X;

• Screen - much, much better on the N5
  • Cameras - I think it was about the same. HDR+ mode on N5 is good enough (similar to an iPhone 5)
  • Battery - Big advantage to the Moto X. I have battery anxiety all day on the N5. The Qi charging on the N5 is sweet.
  • Signal Strength - has been good on both. Both phones hold on to calls in areas where my iPhone 5S drops (AT&T LTE).
  • Call Volume - Moto X. The earpiece hole on the N5 is round and if you are not right on top of it, well.... Also, I have noticed the mic issue other people mention with the N5 (muted or muffled mic). Covering the noise cancellation mic has helped slightly. It's the one thing pushing me to a different phone.
  • Pocketability - Moto X. Sure everyone loves the bigger screens but try carrying a Note around in your pocket. Coming from the iPhone, you may car about overall size. The Moto X strikes a great balance between larger screen, one-handed use and low profile in your pocket.

Even with potential replacements on the horizon, I wouldn't hesitate buying either the Moto X or the N5 right now. They are still good phones. If you're not sure you'll like the OS, look at something like the Moto G. Much cheaper and the newer ones support LTE. Your other option is to buy a NiB or slightly used one on Swappa.

Now that I have gotten more comfortable with Anrdoid, I am looking at selling my iPhone 5 + N5 and use the cash towards an HTC M8.

You've just convinced me to get a Moto X. That and I can't stop staring at those wood backs!

macbookpro13

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
Remove yourself from Apple's ecosystem as much as you can and move your stuff over to Google's. No reason you have to use iCloud instead of Gmail. All of your contacts can be stored in your Google account as well.

It's incredibly liberating knowing you can buy whatever phone you want and not be pigeon holed into Apple's line of products.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

Why don't you just jailbreak it?? You know there are emulators that came make your UI like android on an iphone right?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why don't you just jailbreak it?? You know there are emulators that came make your UI like android on an iphone right?

Why? Jailbreaking is hardly stable, tweaks fail etc. If someone wants to switch to a more free OS then what's the point in trying to stop them?

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Had my iphone jailbroken. Couldn't do what I wanted without it crashing 3-4 times a day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.