Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I don't think this is app specific, seems to happen with multiple apps on my iPad, like Dropbox and Facebook. I think it is a problem (feature?) of iOS.

When I have a document open in Dropbox, or have opened a link in Facebook, and multitask to another app, when I go back to the app the item I had open is closed and I am returned to the "home" of the app. So for Dropbox that is the folder view and for Facebook it is the News Feed. It seems to happen only if some time has passed, not exactly sure how long it is. This is pretty annoying.

Thought maybe it had something to do with the background refresh setting, (that it needed to refresh in the background to keep the doc open somehow), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there an option in iOS to fix this, I hate having to reopen docs in Dropbox. I can't see applicable options in individual apps...

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Basically the app content is no longer in memory after some time as other things you do on the phone end up needing and using that memory that the app had but no lunger needed as it was in the background, so when you go back to it it's essentially like launching it new where it goes to its usual "home" screen. Perhaps one of the only things that might help in some way is having Background Refresh enabled so that apps can update in the background with updated content, but even then you might still be taken to the usual initial screen in the app when you go to it, it's just that its content would be updated so that you wouldn't have to wait for it to fully refresh and/or get some newer updated content.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
You have too many apps open that are taking up space. If you close them and only open the one's you multitasking then it should multitask normally.

Hopefully Apple will up the RAM on the next set of iPads so that you can have more open at the same time without having to relaunch apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.