Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 28, 2014, 03:32 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Offer iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini on Japanese Carrier NTT DOCOMO Starting June 10

Apple announced today that it will begin offering the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini on Japanese carrier NTT DOCOMO starting Tuesday, June 10. Both tablets will be compatible with the company's nationwide Xi LTE service, as users will be able to pre-register for both devices beginning June 2nd at local DOCOMO stores and the carrier's website.
Quote:
"With the addition of iPad alongside iPhone, we now offer the complete lineup of Japan's most popular mobile devices on the nation's most reliable LTE network," said Kaoru Kato, President and CEO of NTT DOCOMO, INC. "We know our customers will enjoy using iPad Air and iPad mini, and anticipate that new customers will look to experience these amazing devices on our high-quality network with our new billing plan."

"We are extremely happy for iPad to join iPhone on NTT DOCOMO's network," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The results on iPhone have been tremendous, and we look forward to delivering iPad to NTT DOCOMO customers."
The iPad Air and Retina iPad mini were originally launched in Japan and a number of other countries last fall. The move also follows the launch of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on the carrier last September, marking the first time that Apple's phones were offered on DOCOMO. Since then, Apple has seen its share of the Japanese mobile phone market rise above 36%, with the iPhone accounting for more than 40% of phone sales on the carrier.

Article Link: Apple to Offer iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini on Japanese Carrier NTT DOCOMO Starting June 10
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:35 AM   #2
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

I'm surprised NTT DoCoMo didn't get both devices last November, shortly after the iPhone 5S' September launch.

Was their LTE network not ready for the added devices, or was this just Apple's tight supplies at the time?

Last edited by macs4nw; May 28, 2014 at 03:45 AM.
macs4nw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 03:43 AM   #3
yousifabdullah
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
I'm surprised NTT DoCoMo didn't get both devices last November, shortly after the iPhone 5S.
Might have to do with Xi, which is different to the LTE we use.
yousifabdullah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 05:20 AM   #4
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

My guess would go into some market protection for SoftBank. But just a guess.
Anyway I changed into mobile wifi router (Xi) and using wifi iPad only. And it work with my laptops too. Much more flexible.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Wow the timing is very interesting. With the WWDC about to get going a week before this takes effect. I wonder what that means in terms of announcements on June 2. It would be wierd to announce new iPads a week before the old ones become available on DoCoMo.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:00 AM   #6
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Wow the timing is very interesting. With the WWDC about to get going a week before this takes effect. I wonder what that means in terms of announcements on June 2. It would be wierd to announce new iPads a week before the old ones become available on DoCoMo.
They aren't going to announce new iPads at WWDC.
goobot is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 07:03 AM   #7
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
My guess would go into some market protection for SoftBank. But just a guess.
Anyway I changed into mobile wifi router (Xi) and using wifi iPad only. And it work with my laptops too. Much more flexible.
I used to do that, but the hassle of having to carry an extra device around (and make sure it was charged) became annoying enough that I went with a KDDI LTE rMini this time around. With 10+ hours of tethering per charge, it actually lasts longer than my pocket wifi did in that capacity, and being always-connected is great. Just my two cents' worth
mavis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
They aren't going to announce new iPads at WWDC.
Was this ever in question?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
They don't typically announce iPads at WWDC. iPhones maybe, but not iPads.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:07 PM   #9
japanime
macrumors 65816

Now I can break free of the Cult of Softbank forever.

So long, Reverend Masayoshi Son.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:41 PM   #10
windowpain
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis View Post
I used to do that, but the hassle of having to carry an extra device around (and make sure it was charged) became annoying enough that I went with a KDDI LTE rMini this time around. With 10+ hours of tethering per charge, it actually lasts longer than my pocket wifi did in that capacity, and being always-connected is great. Just my two cents' worth
I did the same, and I agree.
I like the flexibility but it is a pain carrying so many devices.
Will probably swap my galapagos keitai, mobile router, iPod touch for a (docomo) iPhone when my contract expires. My pockets will be happier!

Had a (softbank) 3G ipad1 and having an always on connection was great.
Wish the LTE contracts were a little more flexible though, a month at a time would be awesome (like everywhere else in the world I believe.)
windowpain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion