Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Have been trying Parallels just to use as a gaming side and nothing else, seems to run nearly everything I throw at it at the moment, so all good.

This is on another drive by way of testing, can I move Parallels as a whole as is working with all software onto another drive ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you mean the virtual machine that is created by Parallels? I believe you can just drag and drop it to the new location and then double click it.

I did that for my VMware stuff and it works fine.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Agreed with maflynn about moving the VM file from one directory to another - I moved three I use to a Shared directory as I access them in 4 different user profiles on one Mac. I've done this with a few PCs and Macs since Parallels 4, and am now using PD8.

The only modification I'll add is to change the Parallels Desktop startup Virtual Machines Folder from the default to the VM's new directory/folder. Then you're good to go.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Not only can you move them, you can make copies. Create a test machine where you can screw around with stuff and if it gets hosed just delete it and make another copy from your stable version. Works great for development environments.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Not only can you move them, you can make copies. Create a test machine where you can screw around with stuff and if it gets hosed just delete it and make another copy from your stable version. Works great for development environments.

Indeed.
I personally like to create a Snapshot, do my thing and then delete it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
So it can be done, what exactly do I need to move ?

Silly question maybe but I want to get it right so as not to mess things up.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The PVM (Parallels Virtual Machine) file - as you would any other document file, via a mouse drag or Copy-Move Item Here Command. Then tell Parallels where to find it... QED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.