Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muddy211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I am an android guy, we just left the BB weekend sale and picked up a 5s for my daughter. I have to say it is very nice...I never held one until now. After some snooping around is there any guide or article that shows how to put music and video on her new iphone? She has thousands of songs and a lot of movies on her android tablet/micro sd....trying to figure out how to get those on her phone? Thanks.:D:D:D

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I am an android guy, we just left the BB weekend sale and picked up a 5s for my daughter. I have to say it is very nice...I never held one until now. After some snooping around is there any guide or article that shows how to put music and video on her new iphone? She has thousands of songs and a lot of movies on her android tablet/micro sd....trying to figure out how to get those on her phone? Thanks.:D:D:D

You have to sync with iTunes.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Congratulations to your daughter! You (she) will need to have iTunes on the computer with the music library she wants to sync her iPhone with. The first time you open the program after installation, it should ask if you want it to search for all the music in the computer that you want it to import. Once you have that done, just connect her iPhone and the program should automatically detect; it will check if the phone is on the latest firmware, and you can choose whether or not you want to download it and update now, or later (just choose Cancel). Syncing should take place immediately afterwards.

If the music she/you want on the phone isn't being synced, after the phone is connected and detected, go to the Music tab and select what you want synced on the device (ie, entire music library, selected Playlists..). You can add more music or movies to your iTunes by going to the File -> Import and choose if you want to import by individual file or by entire folder.

Congrats again, and let us know if you have any problems. I think you/she should find the process fairly problem-free. :)

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You could also use Google Music if you want to stick with an Android/cross-platform alternative. Just load the music into the Google Music manager and download the Google Play Music app on the iPhone.

Here's the link for the Play music manager.

Now if she'll want to buy music from her iPhone, iTunes would be the way to go. In which case, follow above instructions :D

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
If she has Spotify I think she just needs to download the app on her phone. Otherwise it's the old school sync with iTunes if they're mp3 files.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
You could also use Google Music if you want to stick with an Android/cross-platform alternative. Just load the music into the Google Music manager and download the Google Play Music app on the iPhone.

Here's the link for the Play music manager.

Now if she'll want to buy music from her iPhone, iTunes would be the way to go. In which case, follow above instructions :D

I tried the whole Google Music Manager thing but that limits you to only streaming, so if you don't have wifi or internet access you can't listen to your music.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I tried the whole Google Music Manager thing but that limits you to only streaming, so if you don't have wifi or internet access you can't listen to your music.
That is true.

But depending on how much music you have it can make sense. I have over 10GB of music (soon to be more) loaded in to Google Play. That's 10GB that is NOT on my iPhone. And as long as I have a WiFi or cellular connection I have access to every song in my library. Add them in iTunes and it automatically upsyncs to Google Play so the whole process is seamless.

If you have a 16 or 32GB iPhone this can make a difference. Not having to pick and choose what music you want and what music you don't is a good feeling.

And for those on plans with caps, knock Sprint all you want, but I have Unlimited and live in an area where streaming isn't an issue either on WiFi or cellular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.