Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
So I've got an old iphone 4 and I'm planning to hand it over to a friend of mine whos shown interest in it. But I wanted to make sure all my stuff like passwords, links to itunes or other accounts etc, are all wiped off. But I dont want to remove the jailbreak functionality. I was looking at the factory reset but got a little worried. Any advice?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So I've got an old iphone 4 and I'm planning to hand it over to a friend of mine whos shown interest in it. But I wanted to make sure all my stuff like passwords, links to itunes or other accounts etc, are all wiped off. But I dont want to remove the jailbreak functionality. I was looking at the factory reset but got a little worried. Any advice?

What firmware is it on? Do you have valid/complete SHSH blobs?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Firmware is 4.1

Its been so long since I've touched it I'm not sure what you mean by SHSH blobs.

Open cydia and then tap TSS center. Does cydia show it has 4.1 SHSH blobs for your device at the top?

If not, what iOS versions does it say cydia has for you, if any?

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
Open cydia and then tap TSS center. Does cydia show it has 4.1 SHSH blobs for your device at the top?

If not, what iOS versions does it say cydia has for you, if any?

I'm hoping I'm reading this properly... At the very top is says-

SHS: iOS 4.2.1, 4.3, 5.0.1, 5.1

Below is just a bunch of text saying Where is my Ios 6.0-6.1.2?

Just nothing information listed.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Just use ilex rat or semi-restore

Semirestore doesn't support iOS 4.1 (according to the description). Not sure about ilexrat

----------

I'm hoping I'm reading this properly... At the very top is says-

SHS: iOS 4.2.1, 4.3, 5.0.1, 5.1

Below is just a bunch of text saying Where is my Ios 6.0-6.1.2?

Just nothing information listed.

Those SHSH blobs tell you which iOS version you can restore to

4.2.1 can still be jailbroken with redsn0w if you're fine to restore to that version

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
[/COLOR]

Those SHSH blobs tell you which iOS version you can restore to

4.2.1 can still be jailbroken with redsn0w if you're fine to restore to that version

Its a good a firmware as any. Only a slight jump up from what I have at the moment. Will still do the same stuff. Thanks again for the help.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Its a good a firmware as any. Only a slight jump up from what I have at the moment. Will still do the same stuff. Thanks again for the help.

You can grab your SHSH blobs using tinyumbrella. Download iFaith (windows only) and run it, then click build ipsw with blobs. Browse for the 4.2.1 blob you fetched with tinyumbrella

Then select download for me, after that's done, it should starting building the ipsw for you

Once that's done, it'll prompt you to put your device into DFU mode. It'll bring you into pwned DFU mode

Open iTunes, hold shift and click restore. Choose the custom firmware iFaith built for you

After that, you'll be on a clean 4.2.1 and can jailbreak it with redsn0w

If you use a Mac, you can do the building and restoring via redsn0w too (just that I never did that method before so I can't give you instructions)

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
I've been trying to figure this out and have been getting nowhere. tinyumbrella refuses to work like it should. I decided to try and install ilex rat after getting completely frustrated. The forums claim it should work on iphone4 and up without a problem. When I install it though it only lists 10 options. Everywhere I look it shows 12 options, the 12th is the clear everything on iphone except cydia. I need that option. Absolutely hate this phone. I cant understand why I shouldnt be able to just restore/reformat from the options to wipe everything then just redsnow it again like before. Bleah.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I've been trying to figure this out and have been getting nowhere. tinyumbrella refuses to work like it should. I decided to try and install ilex rat after getting completely frustrated. The forums claim it should work on iphone4 and up without a problem. When I install it though it only lists 10 options. Everywhere I look it shows 12 options, the 12th is the clear everything on iphone except cydia. I need that option. Absolutely hate this phone. I cant understand why I shouldnt be able to just restore/reformat from the options to wipe everything then just redsnow it again like before. Bleah.

use semirestore, i don't think iLexRAT was updated for iOS 7 support

http://semi-restore.com/

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I don have ios7. And this program shows only 5 and up. Mines 4.2

i guess worse case scenario, you can dump your 4.2 blobs using iFaith

make a custom firmware stitching your blobs into the ipsw using iFatih

and then enter pwned DFU mode, hold shift + click restore in iTunes and then select the custom firmware. you would then restore to stock iOS 4.2

from there, you can jailbreak again using redsn0w

yes, it may be a bit troublesome but at least you have the opportunity to do this. newer devices don't even have the chance to do so

edit: i noticed i posted on this thread before. let me re-read everything. will get back to you again in a bit

edit 2: what kind of problems do you get when trying to run tinyumbrella? you need to have java installed on the computer to use tinyumbrella

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
edit 2: what kind of problems do you get when trying to run tinyumbrella? you need to have java installed on the computer to use tinyumbrella

Java is installed. The program launches, says verifying libraries. Then quickly flashes Unable to validate libraries. Then Reticulating splines. Then closes.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Java is installed. The program launches, says verifying libraries. Then quickly flashes Unable to validate libraries. Then Reticulating splines. Then closes.

try reinstalling java and redownloading tinyumbrella. one of the two might be corrupt

open itunes
plug in the device
go to your device tab
click on the words "serial number" and it should switch. keep clicking until it switches to ECID
PM me that ECID and i can help make the custom firmware for you

if the itunes you're using doesn't have that feature, run redsn0w
click extras
plug in your device
click even more
click identify
look for "UniqueChipID" and PM me that string of numbers

when i give you the link to download the custom firmware, all you need to do is put your device into pwned DFU mode

run itunes, hold shift (not sure what the mac equivalent is) and click restore
then select the custom ipsw to restore to

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
Well I placed it into the DFU mode. Started up itunes and it picked it up saying it needed to restore etc. Shift and selected the file you sent. Unfortunately after it extracts it gives me an error. I cant seem to get past this. And my phones screen is showing the usb cable pointing to itunes, like I havent plugged it in yet despite itunes seeing it. Not sure what to do at this point.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Well I placed it into the DFU mode. Started up itunes and it picked it up saying it needed to restore etc. Shift and selected the file you sent. Unfortunately after it extracts it gives me an error. I cant seem to get past this. And my phones screen is showing the usb cable pointing to itunes, like I havent plugged it in yet despite itunes seeing it. Not sure what to do at this point.

If you seeing a USB cable pointing to iTunes, it means you're in recovery mode, not DFU mode

DFU mode means your screen is completely black

Hmm, now that I think of it, for iOS 4, you don't need a custom ipsw. You just need to change your hosts file to point to cydia's server and them DFU mode -> shift + click restore a stock ipsw (need to make sure cydia has the SHSH blob for you though)

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
Well after many hours of wrestling this POS, along with plenty of excellent help from darricksailo, I think I've finally got it flashed with a custom firmware. Only problem I have now is I'm stuck at the main screen where its demanding a sim card to continue. The sizes arent the same as my newer iphone 5s sim card so I'm pretty much at a brick wall now lol

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I use a SIM adaptor (purchased off of eBay for $3. or so). I jump around all the time between a 3GS (large SIM) and the 4S along with a 5S, using the same SIM.
It won't solve your problem immediately, but is a solution.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Well after many hours of wrestling this POS, along with plenty of excellent help from darricksailo, I think I've finally got it flashed with a custom firmware. Only problem I have now is I'm stuck at the main screen where its demanding a sim card to continue. The sizes arent the same as my newer iphone 5s sim card so I'm pretty much at a brick wall now lol

That's great! If it's not too much trouble, may I ask what you did to fix your problem and get it to restore from the custom firmware?

if I remember correctly, redsn0w also hacktivates your device when you use it to jailbreak

i think it's only possible because of the bootrom exploit

and like braddick said, you could use a sim card adapter

even on a factory unlocked device, you still need a SIM card in order to activate the phone and use it (at least, from what I see on my device)

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
It's hard to describe what I did that actually fixed it. I did the normal trying to install the firmware through itunes, got absolutely nowhere. Nothing but errors. Read online people saying to uninstall and reinstall itunes, amongst other random stuff. So I moved to my laptop and started doing it there, even using a different cable. It didnt fix it but it seemed to give me different number errors. In the end I flashed it using redsn0ws option. The first 3 times didnt work, but it finally understood what I wanted. So I think not doing it through itunes did the trick.

However any time I tried to jailbreak it from the screen where it demands a sim card, I'd somehow completely destroy the phone in some way, and have to try and reinstall the custom firmware again. Right now I think I'm on 4.2.1...or maybe 4.3.1.. I dont know. One of them. The phone before was unlocked but I guess its been overwritten as the only sim card I have that fits is from a different phone company. It worked in it before. Not now. So I'm in that moment of I THINK I fixed it, but I dont really know 100% without getting past this stupid sim card screen.

I'm going to go ahead with that adaptor and see how I go.

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
It's hard to describe what I did that actually fixed it. I did the normal trying to install the firmware through itunes, got absolutely nowhere. Nothing but errors. Read online people saying to uninstall and reinstall itunes, amongst other random stuff. So I moved to my laptop and started doing it there, even using a different cable. It didnt fix it but it seemed to give me different number errors. In the end I flashed it using redsn0ws option. The first 3 times didnt work, but it finally understood what I wanted. So I think not doing it through itunes did the trick.

However any time I tried to jailbreak it from the screen where it demands a sim card, I'd somehow completely destroy the phone in some way, and have to try and reinstall the custom firmware again. Right now I think I'm on 4.2.1...or maybe 4.3.1.. I dont know. One of them. The phone before was unlocked but I guess its been overwritten as the only sim card I have that fits is from a different phone company. It worked in it before. Not now. So I'm in that moment of I THINK I fixed it, but I dont really know 100% without getting past this stupid sim card screen.

I'm going to go ahead with that adaptor and see how I go.

oh, that's great to hear! try using redsn0w's identify device again and see if it picks up what iOS version you're on

good luck on the sim card adapter!

vlammy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2014
oh, that's great to hear! try using redsn0w's identify device again and see if it picks up what iOS version you're on

good luck on the sim card adapter!

Just checked. redsn0w says its 4.2.1

Can I check any other info with this that might be important for knowing what state this stupid phone is in lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.