Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it has been a slow start for Apple's product launches thus far in 2014, its flagship iPhone and iPad launches are still to come and it looks like there may be considerably more in the works. That conclusion is based on the level of anticipation shared by Apple's Internet Software and Services chief Eddy Cue at today's Code Conference, as related in a live blog from The Verge.

cue_iovine_codecon.jpg
Walt Mossberg, Kara Swisher, Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine (Source: The Verge)
During a session in which Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher sat down with Cue and Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine to discuss the just confirmed deal and other topics, Swisher asked Cue about how Tim Cook is as a leader.

Cue responded with some of the usual compliments said about Cook: thoroughness, vision, care, and focus. And as if anticipating a follow-up question about when we will see those qualities having more of an impact on Apple's product pipeline, Cue set a high bar for the remainder of this year:
"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."
Cue declined to elaborate on that pipeline, noting only that the products will unsurprisingly be "great".

The first hints of Apple's plans for the remainder of 2014 are likely to be revealed next Monday during the keynote at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, where Apple executives are expected to show off OS X 10.10, iOS 8, a "smart home" initiative, and likely some hardware, although it is unclear how significant those hardware announcements will be.

Article Link: Eddy Cue: Best Product Pipeline in 25 Years Coming Later This Year From Apple

lilhobbes

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
Utah
Ever since we lost Steve Jobs it seems as though everyone has lost hope in Apple. I feel like Eddy is right. Although we haven't seen these products and lineups, I know that great things are coming. I feel like the health industry with health book and the iWatch will be this turning point for Apple ever since 2011.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
my favorite line:
"Cue declined to elaborate on that pipeline, noting only that the products will unsurprisingly be "great". "

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
If Apple does venture into the home automation arena, I'd like for them to acquire Wemo. I recently purchased a Wemo light switch and have been impressed. The packaging was premium, the installation/setup experience was simple, and the switch has been working great!

Not sure if AAPL will get into hardware, but I could see a light switch with iBeacon being pretty automatic and easy to use. Other benefits of the expansive 'home automation' are the endless applications and possibilities.

My top three, in order of preference:
1 - Thermostat (I love our Nest; constantly saving us money over our old thermostat)
2 - Sprinkler Control Box (looking into the rachio)
3 - Light switches / Power Sockets (love the Wemo and could see the power sockets being useful as well)

macs4nw

macrumors 601

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ever since we lost Steve Jobs it seems as though everyone has lost hope in Apple.

Not really. Only the people who need to have their random urges satisfied every 90 seconds, and who thought they were getting it from Steve Jobs, even though they really weren't.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I understand that. Define "pipeline" for me.

;)

Seriously? I didn't think it was a difficult concept... but here goes:

At any given moment there are many products in Apple's labs.

There are products that are near completion getting ready for a Fall 2014 release... other products that are only partially complete to be released next year... and some products in the starting phase that won't be ready for a couple years or more.

It's a constant cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.