Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Speaking at today's Re/code Code Conference, Apple's SVP of internet services Eddy Cue and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine shared some new numbers on iTunes and Beats Music in the wake of today's acquisition.

eddy_cue_jimmy_iovine-800x529.jpg
Apple internet chief Eddy Cue (left) and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine (right)​
Cue mentioned that the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio hit new milestones, with the former selling its 35 billionth song and the latter now including over 40 million listeners around the world.

Speaking on the newly formed relationship between Apple and Beats, Cue noted that Apple's great rapport with artists, data on listening habits, and 800 million iTunes accounts with credit cards attached contributes a great deal. "We think all of those things, when you put them all together, it's on steroids with us together," he expressed.

Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then. By contrast, rival music streaming service Spotify reported earlier this month that it has 10 million paying subscribers worldwide.

Iovine added that Beats made a mistake by not offering in-app purchases from the start, and stated that 5 million people have "visited" the service since it launched. After today's announcement, the Beats Music iOS app was updated with an extended 14-day trial period and a price drop to its yearly subscription to $100 from $120.

Article Link: iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subscriber Base

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I was hoping for Apple to convert the service to some sort of buy up for iTunes Match. Make iTunes Match free, and offer streaming for $49.99 per year. THAT would make waves!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then…..

Article Link: iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subscriber Base

That's actually quite impressive, for an upstart, in an industry that's getting pretty crowded.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
There's just something about actually owning the physical copy that appeals to me so much more than streaming.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
There's just something about actually owning the physical copy that appeals to me so much more than streaming.

You can do both pretty inexpensively.

I only buy physical copies on vinyl, because CDs are pretty pointless at this point. They're just a vessel to get the songs onto your portable music player and then end up on a shelf or in a box somewhere in my case.

Vinyls have a totally different novelty to them with huge artwork and whatnot, so I love them.

I buy the albums I really want to own, and else I just stream.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
The main problem with Apple streaming service is that way too small list of available countries. Even they can't extend for more than years iCloud two-step authentication to more countries while other IT companies have alread done long time ago

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Not a bad interview, but didnt really bring up anything new. Apple like beats, been working together with Iovine for a long time, want the streaming service, want the headphones too, see benefit in Iovine's links to the industry... etc etc. I wasnt expecting revealing their secret plans, but was hoping for something more than the obvioius.

I guess time will tell.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i downloaded the beats music app out of curiosity, and this might not be saying much, but it kicks the crap out of apple's itunes match and itunes genius with regards to speed and recommendations respectively. i actually very much like it

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
i downloaded the beats music app out of curiosity, and this might not be saying much, but it kicks the crap out of apple's itunes match and itunes genius with regards to speed and recommendations respectively. i actually very much like it

Well it's a moot point since Beat is Apple's now.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
As much as Iovine likes to extoll the virtue of "whats next", Beats is irritating. It does not let me input the first choice as it forces me to accept lousy offerings till. I get tired of it and shut it off. I don't see any ingenuity in it Iovine!
And your headphones are not worth the price.
3bn dollars for those two guys to negotiate music royalties is nuts. Apple could have lessen demand, take a smaller profit and labels would sign.

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
I was hoping for Apple to convert the service to some sort of buy up for iTunes Match. Make iTunes Match free, and offer streaming for $49.99 per year. THAT would make waves!

Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits. I think they need to increase the file size limitations with Match since there are people that are using 24 bit sound files and concerts where the file exceeds Apple's limitations and won't allow them to be stored on the servers.

I don't mind paying for Match because it's not that expensive to store on servers so I can have the content backed up safely, I just need them to allow larger files sizes.

As far as Beats is concerned? I just tried Beats Music trial. HATED IT. They paid $3 Billion for this? What a joke. It's awful. Now I see why Beats Music didn't get many subscribers.

I think Cook was stupid allowing Dre and Iodine as part of Apple. Dre is going to damage Apple's reputation amongst the educated crowd of people that are disgusted by Dre's music and the crowd of people he is associated with. Dre isn't a positive representation of the Black Community and it sets a bad example. Iovine isn't what I consider the best the music industry has to offer. He may know what the kids want, but that's not the only crowd Apple has to cater to. I think Apple would have better to have done a subscription service on their own, and if they wanted the headphone market, they could have easily spent far less money in having a better line of headphones created/mfg and just spend more time rather than trying to "BUY" into the market. Since Apple probably sells a large amount of Beats Headphones, it wouldn't be too easy to unseat them. All they would have to do is come out with a few models of headphones, removing the Beats headphones from the stores and putting their own headphones on the shelves instead. They could have gotten a cross section of the music industry that ranges from all of the styles of music to approve and endorse Apple's own design rather than just the rap/hiphop/superficial pop world endorsing Beats.

I think Cook has lost his mind, as far as I'm concerned, he blew it, and there might be some backlash because there are a lot of educated cultured people that do NOT endorse the thug/gang mentality that Dre brings to the table. He is DEFINITELY not a representation of the entire Black culture of America or the world for that matter. He and his buddies are illiterate, thugs that degrade women, each other, and promote a VERY disgusting way of life that Apple doesn't need.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Meanwhile, Iovine announced that Beats Music, currently limited to the U.S., now has 250,000 subscribers since it launched three months ago. A report earlier this month pegged the service's subscriber base at just 110,000 during the month of March, illustrating how the service has grown since then.

But how many of those 250,000 are paying subscribers vs those still on a free trial?

After today's announcement, the Beats Music iOS app was updated with an extended 14-day trial period

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Yeah! Need some more Rap and Pop music when listening to a Trance artist in iTunes radio this all will improve iTunes radio.....:rolleyes:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits.

You are missing the big picture. Music has NEVER been a direct profit driver for Apple. Apple has always used music to sell HARDWARE. iTunes was created to sell iPods. iCloud was created to sell iOS devices, and Macs. Apple creates these free/cheap services that are designed to lock you into their ecosystem and force you into buying their hardware. Apple is merely reacting to industry changes. People want streaming subscriptions instead of buying tracks. Apple could offer it at $49-59 per year, not make any money on it directly, but could use it to drive iPhone, iPod and iPad sales.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Only US?

Not even close to million users?

This has to be scaled fast to make sense.

Also - why not also buy dropbox to improve iCloud?

For headphones - Beyerdynamic is My choice for sound quality.

Last edited:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
5 million may have visited, but with 250,000 signed up thats 4.75million that decided not to go ahead....

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
iTunes Hits New Milestones, Will Help Leverage Growth of Beats' 250,000 Subsc...

Your ignorance is absolutely astounding. If you don't think a man who has gone on to make half a billion dollars on his own as not only a successful recording artist, not only a successful producer, but a successful businessman is a positive representation of the black community, then you're a few crayolas short of a crayon box.

Spotify started didn't start out with millions of subscribers. These guys have been out 3 months and they've got a quarter of a million subscribers already.

I'm a highly educated person and I absolutely love Dre, so your argument holds absolutely zero water.

Yeah, it would also make Apple make no profits. I think they need to increase the file size limitations with Match since there are people that are using 24 bit sound files and concerts where the file exceeds Apple's limitations and won't allow them to be stored on the servers.

I don't mind paying for Match because it's not that expensive to store on servers so I can have the content backed up safely, I just need them to allow larger files sizes.

As far as Beats is concerned? I just tried Beats Music trial. HATED IT. They paid $3 Billion for this? What a joke. It's awful. Now I see why Beats Music didn't get many subscribers.

I think Cook was stupid allowing Dre and Iodine as part of Apple. Dre is going to damage Apple's reputation amongst the educated crowd of people that are disgusted by Dre's music and the crowd of people he is associated with. Dre isn't a positive representation of the Black Community and it sets a bad example. Iovine isn't what I consider the best the music industry has to offer. He may know what the kids want, but that's not the only crowd Apple has to cater to. I think Apple would have better to have done a subscription service on their own, and if they wanted the headphone market, they could have easily spent far less money in having a better line of headphones created/mfg and just spend more time rather than trying to "BUY" into the market. Since Apple probably sells a large amount of Beats Headphones, it wouldn't be too easy to unseat them. All they would have to do is come out with a few models of headphones, removing the Beats headphones from the stores and putting their own headphones on the shelves instead. They could have gotten a cross section of the music industry that ranges from all of the styles of music to approve and endorse Apple's own design rather than just the rap/hiphop/superficial pop world endorsing Beats.

I think Cook has lost his mind, as far as I'm concerned, he blew it, and there might be some backlash because there are a lot of educated cultured people that do NOT endorse the thug/gang mentality that Dre brings to the table. He is DEFINITELY not a representation of the entire Black culture of America or the world for that matter. He and his buddies are illiterate, thugs that degrade women, each other, and promote a VERY disgusting way of life that Apple doesn't need.

Last edited:

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Android for iTunes?

Since Beats was built for Android, does this mean we could see iTunes compatibility with Android or will Apple makes Beats an iOS exclusive? I'm guessing it'll be iOS exclusive but it would be cool if it was the former. At the very least I'm hoping we'll finally get a new, modern iTunes - but then maybe not since Apple's recent UI Moves (iMovie comes to mind) have been terrible.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008

My wife has started to just 'stream' everything from YouTube. All the music is there anyway, there's playlists, and it works really well.

Pretty much everyone's doing that now. It proves that streaming can be a good thing. I am not sure how you'd convince people that they should pay for it, given that they already get it for free, but I suppose I'd start by offering a better service than YouTube. Maybe Beats streaming is that better service?!

Another note: Jesus H Christ, 800 Million credit cards? That's insane. There is so much they could do there...

----------

Since Beats was built for Android, does this mean we could see iTunes compatibility with Android or will Apple makes Beats an iOS exclusive? I'm guessing it'll be iOS exclusive but it would be cool if it was the former. At the very least I'm hoping we'll finally get a new, modern iTunes - but then maybe not since Apple's recent UI Moves (iMovie comes to mind) have been terrible.

I am thinking, and hoping, that they won't be iOS exclusive. I'll stick with iOS personally but I think it's almost always a mistake to limit your whatever added value service to your own platform.

Hopefully Beats will remain an independent subsidiary and do their own branding, marketing, and also services. I am pretty sure they will after all a big chunk of the value of Beats is it's outstanding branding / marketing.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I think subscription is the answer for artist and customers. It's just who's going to do it better and who will have all the artist/albums.
I still think think apple could have done a better or just as good a job without acquiring beats but maybe they were having issues with the record companies getting a deal done so they bought into it. Only explanation I can think of. That and they want to be in the headphone business?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.