Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 29, 2014, 12:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Beats Music' to Remain on Android and Windows Smartphones

At Re/code's inaugural Code Conference, Apple SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue*confirmed that Beats Music will remain available on Android and Windows Phone after Apple's acquisition of the company. This will make Beats Music Apple's first app for a non-iOS smartphone platform.
Quote:
Some of these things, like iMessage, are really integrated deeply into the hardware. Those types of opportunites are more difficult to do with other other hardware, but we'll keep providing some services to other platforms. Like Beats, for instance. It's on Android now and we want to keep it that way.
In March, Billboard reported that Apple was considering launching an iTunes app for Android in an effort to take advantage of Android's large marketshare to increase declining music sales.

Beats Music is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Beats Music' to Remain on Android and Windows Smartphones
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:10 AM   #2
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Smart move! And I can also see iTunes for Android coming, sometime in the future.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:12 AM   #3
borneo76
macrumors member

keep your friends close and your enemies closer
borneo76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 12:31 AM   #4
HiRez
macrumors 601

I remember when Apple bought the company that made Shake software, they said it would continue to be available for Windows. And it was, for a year, then the Windows version went away.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

No brainer. Easy money.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 01:21 AM   #6
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

In what way is iMessage "deeply integrated into the hardware"?
The Phazer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Tim098
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
I think what he meant is deeply integrated into all Apple products, and not the 'hardware' per se. I for one and amazed at how iMessage keeps in perfect sync across devices and even attempts to smartly notify you on the most probably device currently in use at that moment, before the notification arrives on the other devices.
Tim098 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:33 AM   #8
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

I wonder what happens to the likes of HTC One with Beats audio speakers/algorithms?
Old May 29, 2014, 02:45 AM   #9
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim098 View Post
I think what he meant is deeply integrated into all Apple products, and not the 'hardware' per se. I for one and amazed at how iMessage keeps in perfect sync across devices and even attempts to smartly notify you on the most probably device currently in use at that moment, before the notification arrives on the other devices.
The notifications are sent to all devices, but once a message is "read" on one, the other devices suppress their notifications. That's the smart part about it. That's the one huge advantage that iMessages has over Viber, WhatsApp and Skype for messaging. I just wish it was as fun as Viber. WhatsApp is okay, and Skype sucks for text-based messaging.
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Apple should give them itunes aswell. Whatever happened to serving cold water to someone in hell?
Ballis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:50 AM   #11
Mildredop
macrumors 6502

Beats Music has such a tiny number of users, especially when compared to Spotify and the like, that this really isn't a big deal.
Mildredop is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:45 AM   #12
patent10021
macrumors 68000

Sun Tzu
Old May 29, 2014, 04:52 AM   #13
cube
macrumors G3

I have Deezer "Made for BlackBerry", Spotify for Android works on BlackBerry, Qobuz for Android from the Amazon Appstore started on BlackBerry but did not test further (I want to get some better headphones before starting the free trial because the point would be to get a lossless subscription).

Not interested in checking out if another lossy service works when I have 50% discount on Deezer.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 06:02 AM   #14
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Apple can keep beats off Android for all I care. Knowing Apple, iTunes will be a requirement in a years time for Android owners. No thanks! I don't want that fustration you guys go through. It's bad enough that I have to deal with it for my wife's iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kaos View Post
I wonder what happens to the likes of HTC One with Beats audio speakers/algorithms?
Algorithms? More like a EQ setting and a red beats logo on the back. HTC wised up and dropped beats and went with boom sound; front firing speakers that actually sound better than muffled back/bottom speakers.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:20 AM   #15
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Apple can keep beats off Android for all I care. Knowing Apple, iTunes will be a requirement in a years time for Android owners. No thanks! I don't want that fustration you guys go through. It's bad enough that I have to deal with it for my wife's iPhone.

----------

Algorithms? More like a EQ setting and a red beats logo on the back. HTC wised up and dropped beats and went with boom sound; front firing speakers that actually sound better than muffled back/bottom speakers.
What's do horrible about itunes? The PC version sucks, but everything can be done OTA. No difference between it and Google Play.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 10:04 AM   #16
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
Sun Tzu
McRib Sandwich
jonAppleSeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:07 PM   #17
fr33 loader
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneo76 View Post
keep your friends close and your enemies closer
More of, 200,000 subscribers down to 75,000 subscribers without Android, and down to 5,000 after the free 30-day trial. .
fr33 loader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:52 PM   #18
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
What's do horrible about itunes? The PC version sucks, but everything can be done OTA. No difference between it and Google Play.
Don't you see the problem? You need software on you computer to transfer content to the iPhone. On android you plug and play without conversion, put your files anywhere you want and can even remove your sd card to transfer huge amounts of content without the device.
And Google play is just an app store; there is no software installed on your computer. You can however remotely install apps from a browser directly to your device without picking it up.
I even do backups of my apps and data directly to my sd card (physical or partitioned) or to the cloud. Or I can just copy and paste the backup folder to my computer.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 03:15 PM   #19
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Don't you see the problem? You need software on you computer to transfer content to the iPhone. On android you plug and play without conversion, put your files anywhere you want and can even remove your sd card to transfer huge amounts of content without the device.
And Google play is just an app store; there is no software installed on your computer. You can however remotely install apps from a browser directly to your device without picking it up.
I even do backups of my apps and data directly to my sd card (physical or partitioned) or to the cloud. Or I can just copy and paste the backup folder to my computer.
I haven’t plugged my phone into my computer since I set up wireless file transfers last year sometime… Do people still do that? I thought everything was in the cloud these days.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:05 PM   #20
sprezz
macrumors member

Fair enough, in the end it's all profit for Apple anyway...
sprezz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:27 PM   #21
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChang View Post
I haven’t plugged my phone into my computer since I set up wireless file transfers last year sometime… Do people still do that? I thought everything was in the cloud these days.
Try transferring 8 gig 1080p MKV files wirelessly which my Note 3 can play silky smooth without conversion. With usb 3.0 it takes a minute or two. Wireless would take forever. Plus with wireless transfer you still need software. At work such software is banned from installation. Itunes is banned from my work place.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 04:54 PM   #22
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Try transferring 8 gig 1080p MKV files wirelessly which my Note 3 can play silky smooth without conversion. With usb 3.0 it takes a minute or two. Wireless would take forever. Plus with wireless transfer you still need software. At work such software is banned from installation. Itunes is banned from my work place.
Ha! Um… no thanks. Mobile screens are way to small to watch movies on, personally. Even the Note. But I’m glad you’ve got a system that works for you. Personally, I haven’t had any issues with iTunes since they released version 11, while my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 crashes every day or two for no discernable reason whatsoever. To quote the signature of someone on these forums who’s name escapes me at the moment, “personal use case. Nothing else matters."
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You can have your entire library at your disposal without even owning a computer. I do agree that being able to use a Micro SD card is a huge advantage for some Android devices (most actually), but everything else you mentioned is not applicable. The iCloud, and various other cloud services make owning a PC unnecessary for an iOS user. Of course if you jailbreak or side load software, you will need either a Mac or PC.

----------

Quote:
Your earlier point was about iOS users having to connect to a computer anytime they wanted to transfer data, and that claim was completely false. Now you've moved the goal post to brag about how fast it is to transfer data from a PC to your Note 3 via USB 3.0. You are correct (it is fast), but that was not your original argument.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 04:30 AM   #24
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
so deep they can't even troubleshoot
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 04:55 AM   #25
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
Sun Tzu
Capitalism actually.
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion