Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gryphon69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Faroe Islands
Hi guys/girls
I am running the newest version of OS 10 in my late 2009 iMac. Having bought and going to install a OWC SSD into the DVD bay, how do I move the OS 10 from the old HD to the new one, I just want to move the settings and the operating system and use the old HD for my files.
I use aperture a lot, so maybe I would like to keep the aperture library on the SSD also.
I don't want to install everything again, to much work with activation codes and serial numbers....
Is it easier to migrate from an external back up?
Hope some of you have some experience in this.

Thanks

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
I don't want to install everything again, to much work with activation codes and serial numbers....

It's no work at all if you clone your drive using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. You'll get an exact, bootable duplicate just like your original drive with all activations, preferences and s/n's intact.

gryphon69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Faroe Islands
Migrate OS 10 from the internal 2 TB HD onto the newly installed SSD in the D...

I know, but my HD is 1.3 TB and the SSD is 480 if I remember right, that's my problem, also I don't want to fill up the SSD right away.

----------

If I slim down the HD and clone it over to the SSD, I would still have 2 OS one on the old drive and one on the SSD, I would like to keep both drives in the iMac, but use the old 2TB for storage, I know I can erase everything, as I have everything copied on 2 other HD, I just wanted to know if there is an easier option?

Last edited:

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I know, but my HD is 1.3 TB and the SSD is 480 if I remember right, that's my problem, also I don't want to fill up the SSD right away.

----------

If I slim down the HD and clone it over to the SSD, I would still have 2 OS one on the old drive and one on the SSD, I would like to keep both drives in the iMac, but use the old 2TB for storage, I know I can erase everything, as I have everything copied on 2 other HD, I just wanted to know if there is an easier option?
I can't think of an easier way than slimming down your HD contents and cloning.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Here's a thought... if you boot from a different drive and use iPartition on your HD, you can make a partition of all the unused space on that drive. Then you can copy whatever you want from your main partition to the empty one and slim it down that way. Even if you don't have enough space in the new partition, you can always resize it again using the empty space from your transfers.

Once you have your main partition down to a manageable size you can clone it to your SSD and just reformat that one partition on your HD when you're done.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

----------

I assume all the big data is in specific folders in your user account yes?

Just use the free 30 day trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the contents of the HDD to the SSD. When you start CCC select the HDD on the left like in my screenshot then scroll down and expand the section in your user account. Then scroll down more and uncheck the big folders you don't want to move over. Like in my screenshot I unchecked Movies, Music, and Pictures so none of that would get moved to the SSD.

By doing this you can avoid moving over enough of those large folders to get down to the <480GB you need.

Kb5TKLK.png

gryphon69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Faroe Islands
Thanks for the advise, but I would still have the OS on the HD, how to get rid of that without moving everything off?

----------

Ps... I have superduper and cronosynk

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the advise, but I would still have the OS on the HD, how to get rid of that without moving everything off?

----------

Ps... I have superduper and cronosynk

How much data are we talking about and how much free space is on the drive?

If you have the room you could shrink the existing HDD partition then add a new partition to the end. Then copy the data to the new partition and erase the first partition. Then move the data back to partition one and delete partition two. Then expand partition one back to the full space.

Otherwise you will need to temporarily move the data off to an external of some sort.

gryphon69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Faroe Islands
Moved all the movies & series to an other HD last night, come down to 570 GB.
Will probably export either iTunes library or Aperture Library next.
Then just clone the internal HD over to the SSD, used the time last night to get rid of a lot of old stuff too, on a 5 year old machine there are a lot of items that you no longer use, some programs have not been opened for years:)))
I usually am very organized person and keep my machine in a clean and good condition, but I was surprised how many small programs I had in my program folder that I never use.
Hopefully on Sunday the machine will be up and running again.

gryphon69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Faroe Islands
Migrate OS 10 from the internal 2 TB HD onto the newly installed SSD in the D...

Had time tonight to install the SSD in the iMac.

Using SuperDuper to clone the internal HD to the SSD now,

Clone speed started at only 8 MB a second, but now it just went up to 18 MB.

Will take most of the night I expect, so will will just turn in, and check the computer in the morning, the procedure was not so difficult, but before I started I had to request a chat with OWC as there was no cable with the Ram Doubler,

but I was made assure that it was meant to be, as they have made a new bracket for the SSD, and it fitted straight in, only worry was that one has to use a bit of force to get two of the screws to take when installing the drive bay into the machine again, but pressing it against the back plate, I was able to fasten the screws.

So all good, I hope ;-)

Night everyone

Update ;-)

Started the iMac this morning on the SSD drive, wow what a difference, 30 seconds to login screen, wait a few seconds more and the computer is ready for use.
Before it took nearly 3 min for everything to be responsive!!

The best of all, Aperture only has one bounce on the dock, and seams very snappy ))

Overall I am very impressed with the update, hope this will give the iMac a few more years of use, would like to keep it as a digital hub in the years to come.
I am waiting for Apple to update the MacBook Pro line so I can upgrade maybe later this year and keep my laptop as my work horse.
Will report back if I stumble into any problems with this upgrade.

Happy Computing

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.