Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 29, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Now Available for Mac with Support for Multiple RSS Platforms

A month after a public beta was made available, RSS news reader Reeder 2 has officially launched in the Mac App Store. The original Reeder app was discontinued following the shutdown of Google Reader last July. The new version of the program is compatible with RSS platforms such as Feedbin, Feedly, Feed Wrangler, Fever, and Readability along with support for local and standalone RSS.

Quote:
Other features:
- Themes
- Gestures
- Customizable shortcuts

Sharing services:
- Safari Reading List
- QUOTE.fm Read
- Buffer
- Readability
- Instapaper
- Pocket
- Evernote
- MarsEdit
- Pinboard
- Delicious
- App.net
- Twitter
- Facebook
Reeder also launched Reeder 2 for iOS devices [Direct Link] this past September, which featured compatibility with numerous RSS services, in addition to gesture-based navigation, view modes, and the ability to share stories through a variety of services.

Reeder 2 for Mac is a $9.99 download and is available through the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Now Available for Mac with Support for Multiple RSS Platforms
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

My favourite app on iOS & Mac.

2013 13" MacBook Air +iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Watabou
macrumors 68020

I've been using the beta since I loved the Reeder 1. I'm sort of disappointed that I have to pay again for Reeder 2, when the only features that it has gained are the new rss services and the new design. This is the same story with the iOS version of Reeder (which I had to pay for again for a new design + new rss services).

I think I will fork over once the beta expires though, since it runs a whole lot smoother than ReadKit does, and I do like the little things about it like the cool animations, gesture support. Reeder also looks nicer than ReadKit.
Watabou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
I've been using the beta since I loved the Reeder 1. I'm sort of disappointed that I have to pay again for Reeder 2, when the only features that it has gained are the new rss services and the new design. This is the same story with the iOS version of Reeder (which I had to pay for again for a new design + new rss services).

I think I will fork over once the beta expires though, since it runs a whole lot smoother than ReadKit does, and I do like the little things about it like the cool animations, gesture support. Reeder also looks nicer than ReadKit.
I don't mind supporting the developer for something so great. Would you rather ads pinned around the app?

2013 13" MacBook Air +iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:31 AM   #5
casperes1996
macrumors regular

MacRumors is the funniest

Macrumors is the funniest "news outlet" in the world. Misspelling available. "avaliable" Don't they have autocorrect?
casperes1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:37 AM   #6
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Preferring "Feedly" by now. At least for my uses.
lars666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:37 AM   #7
H.Finch
macrumors newbie

Been trying the beta for a while. The animations are awesome, however, the readability is not (yet). On a 27 inch iMac the lists font sizes are way too small, even when set to 'large'.
Also, scentences are way too long. Caffeinated for example (which has its own flaws) is much better at this. The reading experience should come first. Cute animations, guestures, theme's etc should come after that I think.
Also, the icon should have just been the same as the iOs icon for consistency. This icon looks too much like the 'package' icon of osx itself anyway.
H.Finch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:37 AM   #8
Watabou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Munn View Post
I don't mind supporting the developer for something so great. Would you rather ads pinned around the app?
I don't mind supporting the developer but what part of my comment shows that I want ads? My point was that I fear that the developer will introduce Reeder 3, make up pay $10 again, and abandon the previous version. Sure if that's your cup of tea, go ahead. I think we're seeing this because Apple still doesn't have an optional "upgrade" price that developers can set.

$10 is a bit pricey for an RSS reader when ReadKit is $5 AND has more features so I'm unsure if I want to switch. The Reeder 2 beta has been smoother than ReadKit in my experience but with Readkit getting occasional updates, it's been getting a lot better.

To be clear, I'm not against paying for good software. Heck I've paid for Reeder 1 on the Mac, as well as both Reeder 1 and 2 on iOS!

Last edited by Watabou; May 29, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
Watabou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 05:48 AM   #9
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperes1996 View Post
Macrumors is the funniest "news outlet" in the world. Misspelling available. "avaliable" Don't they have autocorrect?
Apologies about that...fixed now!
Old May 29, 2014, 05:52 AM   #10
balcis
macrumors member

Almost every software looks great on Mac OS X systems; I'm a windows 8.1 user (not loving it, only because financial issues) and whenever I see an app screenshot like this; a drop of tear is trying to make its way out of my eye.
balcis is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 06:01 AM   #11
cycledance
macrumors member

shame on apple for removing rss from safari without any explanation.
cycledance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 06:17 AM   #12
scottishwildcat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledance View Post
shame on apple for removing rss from safari without any explanation.
What difference would it have made if they'd given you an explanation? You'd still be in the same boat.

It's not hard to figure out why they removed RSS functionality from Safari. Same reason they removed it from Mail.app. Applications work best when they're focused on doing one thing well, and even at their popularity peak, RSS feeds were a niche feature that didn't really fit well in either of those applications.
scottishwildcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Argelius
macrumors 6502

Looks nice, but what advantage over Feedly?

I enjoyed using Reeder on my iPad years ago, before I discovered Feedly. The new Reeder app looks great, but I don't see any advantage over Feedly, which is equally beautiful (albeit with a different design aesthetic), cross-platform, and free.

Not sure I see the value in having a separate app for RSS, since my browser is always open and imbibes Feedly with all of the extensions, workflows, etc I'm used to with Chrome.
Argelius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 06:57 AM   #14
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

(sponsored link)
Old May 29, 2014, 07:01 AM   #15
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I've already supported the developer by buying the previous versions on iPhone, iPad and Mac, now presumably I'll have to buy them all over again for a relatively minor upgrade. I love Reeder, but I don't think I'll be continually buying every version.
slicecom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:08 AM   #16
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Just bought it, it's fairly expensive for what it does - and Feedly is a pretty good alternative - but in my eyes Reeder is easily the best RSS reader.

Just wish you could sort by feed rather than all the feeds being jumbled up and sorted by time - or am I missing something?
Old May 29, 2014, 07:19 AM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishwildcat View Post
What difference would it have made if they'd given you an explanation? You'd still be in the same boat.

It's not hard to figure out why they removed RSS functionality from Safari. Same reason they removed it from Mail.app. Applications work best when they're focused on doing one thing well, and even at their popularity peak, RSS feeds were a niche feature that didn't really fit well in either of those applications.
Not to mention that mailing lists have largely taken over much of the same purpose, but without that feature of accidentally downloading a backlog of posts.
Old May 29, 2014, 07:20 AM   #18
Kariya
macrumors 65816

Moved to Feedly which has been stellar for me.
Kariya is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:49 AM   #19
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I love Reeder 2 on my iPhone, but after using Times/Pulp, then the various apps that plug into the Notification Center to deliver updates, then the Reeder Mac beta, and then the Feedly "app", I've decided that I didn't really benefit from having RSS on my desktop.

My 13" screen is also very small and useless for multitasking.

But it was mostly because I found all the badges and notifications distracting.
Old May 29, 2014, 07:50 AM   #20
robertcoogan
macrumors regular

Be even better if Apple would bring back native RSS functionality to Safari.

I wouldn't have to pay money for a third party app just to read RSS feeds.
robertcoogan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 07:54 AM   #21
BD1
macrumors member

Prefer Feedly now. It's a different but for me, preferable way to consume lots of feeds. I really like the multiple view types that can be set by feed (e.g. card, magazine, etc.).

I was a longtime Reeder 1.0 user and really liked it at the time but tried the Reeder 2.0 beta. It feels dated compared to Feedly.

I also didn't like the way the developer treated us and left us hanging and did not communicate well. That said, I would have bought 2.0 if I felt it was worth it but will stay with Feedly (safari).

Also one advantage of Feedly on safari is that safari extensions can improve the experience.

On my iPhone I use Newsify instead of Reeder or the Feedly app.
BD1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 08:43 AM   #22
casperes1996
macrumors regular

No worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamade View Post
Apologies about that...fixed now!
No worry man. To be honest, I kinda like the fact that there's a typo every now and then. It makes it seem more informal, and personal, and while it might not be as professional, it makes this site seem more like a community than a classic news site.

Besides, the simple fact that you reply to me also emphasizes my point of this being more of a two way dialogue than the classic one way "here are the news" deal you have with news outlets.

I get notifications from 9to5Mac, AppleInsider, and of course MacRumors, but whenever a notification pops from 9to5 or AI, I just think: Can't wait to read that on MacRumors. (Assuming you guys aren't first with that specific article).
casperes1996 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 08:59 AM   #23
n-evo
macrumors 6502

Personally I find €9 a bit pricy, especially since the developer has a habit of quickly charging people again for the next "major" update.

Quote:
Pixelmator has given version 2 users a free update to version 3.0 and beyond. Those updates gave us a whole lot more compared to just a few additional cloud services and an new interface. No ads pinned around the app either.

Last edited by n-evo; May 29, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
n-evo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:09 AM   #24
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

$9.99? Damn. Even for previous users upgrading. Think Ill pass now and just use it on my phone.

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 09:10 AM   #25
thelucas
macrumors newbie

Developer Lost Me

When the developer shuttered Reeder for Mac, he mistreated Reeder users with horrible and cavalier communication. Seems like he didn't care about us all that much so I found Feedly. I was still tempted to give R2 a chance - if it was remarkable but to me, based on the screenshots I've seen, R2 looks outdated.

The way the developer handled Reeder users should be a lesson to every future developer.
thelucas is offline   12 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion