Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'm in the process of buying a factory unlocked iPhone from CL. Unlike carrier versions that can be black listed, can factory unlocked iPhones be blacklisted or blocked in any way?

I'm thinking about buying one from a guy who has one that is still sealed in the plastic. Since it is factory unlocked, it can't be tied to any kind of account, correct?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I'm in the process of buying a factory unlocked iPhone from CL. Unlike carrier versions that can be black listed, can factory unlocked iPhones be blacklisted or blocked in any way?

I'm thinking about buying one from a guy who has one that is still sealed in the plastic. Since it is factory unlocked, it can't be tied to any kind of account, correct?

1. Yes, it can still be blacklisted by the carrier it was activated on, if any.

2. If it's new and sealed in box, it wouldn't be. You shouldn't have a problem but I cannot guarantee it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It can be locked by the carrier, even blacklisted.

You really need to check the IMEI or at the least remove it from the box and insert your SIM to confirm you can get it up on your network.

You do not know this person from CL and once you give him the money it is too late.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
I've considered buying an unlocked phone also and I've noticed a lot of listings on craigslist or eBay kind of "hide" the bad IMEI part. You really need to read carefully and ask the right questions. I hope that helps you out!

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I've considered buying an unlocked phone also and I've noticed a lot of listings on craigslist or eBay kind of "hide" the bad IMEI part. You really need to read carefully and ask the right questions. I hope that helps you out!
Well, The phone has not even been registered yet so the IMEI doesn't even show up on Apple's IMEI checker. I do have a sim card ready to go though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, make sure you open the sealed box and test it.
Someone I know last week bought a sealed ipad on CL and got scammed.
Met in public, the seller told him he cant open the box cause then it will be considered used.
Got the money and by the time the buyer opened to check the box was empty and the scammer was gone.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Yes, make sure you open the sealed box and test it.
Someone I know last week bought a sealed ipad on CL and got scammed.
Met in public, the seller told him he cant open the box cause then it will be considered used.
Got the money and by the time the buyer opened to check the box was empty and the scammer was gone.

I met the guy at an Apple Store. I actually had Apple open up the phone and verify the serial numbers matched. It was legit. Time to change my sig again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.