Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Hi gang. I am hoping someone can answer my question. I have been considering purchasing an unlimited data plan off a buddy who originally got it with his iPad 1 from way back when. I am curious if people have had success using this data plan to tether/use an iPad with one of these unlimited plans as an unlimited data mobile hotspot.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Definitely won't work. If you do jailbreak and tether you run the risk of losing it and they can tell and will gladly take it away.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have a att iPad unlimited plan on my rmini. It's jb with tetherme. No issues at all. Tether all the time. You can use them with the att liberate mifi if u want. I'm also selling one at the moment.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Does anyone know if you can use an smartphone unlimited data sim in an iPad or mobile hotspot (AT&T). Thanks

carrobm

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I have a att iPad unlimited plan on my rmini. It's jb with tetherme. No issues at all. Tether all the time. You can use them with the att liberate mifi if u want. I'm also selling one at the moment.

How do you get this to work with a mifi liberate? I tried to change the IMEI number on the account webpage and it said that my device wasn't supported. thanks for the help!

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
My iPad unlimited plan works fine for me in a AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G. I've recently gone to putting the sim into my Nexus 5 to tether. The Elevate has the annoying problem of getting hot which shuts off charging. The Nexus 5 makes a fantastic hotspot.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.