Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Anyone use the Amazon Prime Instant Video on your iPad and send it to your TV through Airplay (via Apple TV)? How does it compare to the way it looks using the AV adapter? Because the AV adapter leaves black bars all the way around. You can mitigate some of it by adjusting the picture settings on your TV but it's still not like it should be. Is the Apple TV/Airplay way any better?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a Roku (since Apple apparently isn't going to put a native app on Apple TV for it)?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I have never used the AV adapter, but I can AirPlay Amazon Instant to my Apple TV fullscreen (no black bars). I have no complaints about quality.

However, I had the same problem as you with black bars when I initially hooked up my Apple TV. So you may still need to play with your TV/device settings to get it right. Here is my post about it (with potential fix):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1737148/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Or should I just bite the bullet and get a Roku (since Apple apparently isn't going to put a native app on Apple TV for it)?

It isn't totally Apple's decision. Amazon has to come to the table, too and agree to develop it, which they likely won't since they're pushing their own TV product.

I've been streaming over Airplay to my TV from the Amazon Prime app without any complaints, though I think a lot of it has to do with the source video and how it's formatted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.