Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I took a bunch of pictures with a DSLR, and then imported them into my iPad 4 (running 7.0.6) via the camera connection kit. I then tried to upload the pictures via Dropbox and its camera upload feature, but I found out that the feature only works with photos taken with the iPad. Is there a way or another app to upload my imported pictures, or will I have to wait until I get home to copy the pictures over?

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I took a bunch of pictures with a DSLR, and then imported them into my iPad 4 (running 7.0.6) via the camera connection kit. I then tried to upload the pictures via Dropbox and its camera upload feature, but I found out that the feature only works with photos taken with the iPad. Is there a way or another app to upload my imported pictures, or will I have to wait until I get home to copy the pictures over?

Doesn't the camera connection kit upload the photos to your camera roll which you can then upload via the Dropbox app? I just tried it and it works fine.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Doesn't the camera connection kit upload the photos to your camera roll which you can then upload via the Dropbox app? I just tried it and it works fine.

What version of iOS are you running? I noticed that the camera kit didn't upload the photos to the camera roll, but to a separate album - imported photos. My camera roll is still intact.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
What version of iOS are you running? I noticed that the camera kit didn't upload the photos to the camera roll, but to a separate album - imported photos. My camera roll is still intact.

I'm on 7.1.1. I'm assuming you're using the Dropbox app?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm on 7.1.1. I'm assuming you're using the Dropbox app?

Yep, the app has been installed for a while now. I wonder if uploading all imported photos to the camera roll is a change apple made for the newer iOS version.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Are the files "optimized" when downloaded to Dropbox? I found my images were cut way down in size after loading onto the iPad and never did it again.

Have the allowed you to now use the larger cards instead of the smaller capacity cards?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Yup, it should work like a charm. :apple:

AHA!

Ok, it turns out there's been a little misunderstanding on my part. What I realized was that after importing my photos via the kit and then connecting my iPad via Lightning to my Mac, Dropbox automatically extracted the photos and put them in Camera Upload.

However, what I was *trying to get at* was how to force the camera upload feature to work WITHOUT the usage of a Mac or PC - all from the iPad. Is that even possible, as the Dropbox app only seems to look at the camera roll, and it's not possible to drag photos into the camera roll from the imported folder?

----------

Are the files "optimized" when downloaded to Dropbox? I found my images were cut way down in size after loading onto the iPad and never did it again.

Have the allowed you to now use the larger cards instead of the smaller capacity cards?

Do you mean SD card capacity? The kit is capable of reading SDXC cards, which means theoretically up to 2TB based on specifications.

As for file optimization, I see no optimization whatsoever. I just popped in my SD card and compared the same photo in both Dropbox and the card, and everything looks the same to me. Do you have any specifications you want me to specifically look at?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
AHA!

Ok, it turns out there's been a little misunderstanding on my part. What I realized was that after importing my photos via the kit and then connecting my iPad via Lightning to my Mac, Dropbox automatically extracted the photos and put them in Camera Upload.

However, what I was *trying to get at* was how to force the camera upload feature to work WITHOUT the usage of a Mac or PC - all from the iPad. Is that even possible, as the Dropbox app only seems to look at the camera roll, and it's not possible to drag photos into the camera roll from the imported folder?

I think by default Dropbox upload only works when your iPad is connected to WiFi. Any chance that the time you connected your iPad to your Mac was the first time it connected to the internet over wifi since you imported the pictures from your camera?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I think by default Dropbox upload only works when your iPad is connected to WiFi. Any chance that the time you connected your iPad to your Mac was the first time it connected to the internet over wifi since you imported the pictures from your camera?

I'm not quite following. Do you mean whether my iPad was connected via Wi-fi when I had connected it to my Mac? If so, then the answer is sometimes yes, sometimes no. Camera Upload via my Mac works perfectly regardless of how I took the picture. However, Camera Upload from the Dropbox app does NOT work with imported pictures, only pictures I took with my iPad. So that leads to my question - is it possible to use Camera Upload with imported pictures?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not quite following. Do you mean whether my iPad was connected via Wi-fi when I had connected it to my Mac? If so, then the answer is sometimes yes, sometimes no. Camera Upload via my Mac works perfectly regardless of how I took the picture. However, Camera Upload from the Dropbox app does NOT work with imported pictures, only pictures I took with my iPad. So that leads to my question - is it possible to use Camera Upload with imported pictures?

I'm asking you if your iPad was connected to wifi BEFORE it was connected to your Mac, at the time you imported your pictures.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm asking you if your iPad was connected to wifi BEFORE it was connected to your Mac, at the time you imported your pictures.

Ah, so I did understand it properly. As mentioned above, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Though I don't think that would make much of a difference.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ah, so I did understand it properly. As mentioned above, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Though I don't think that would make much of a difference.

I think you are still misunderstanding my question. Let me try one more time.

When you imported your pictures to your iPad, was the iPad connected to wifi?

If it wasn't, then that could be why Dropbox didn't upload your pictures.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I think you are still misunderstanding my question. Let me try one more time.

When you imported your pictures to your iPad, was the iPad connected to wifi?

If it wasn't, then that could be why Dropbox didn't upload your pictures.

I think I'm getting it pretty clearly. Sometimes yes, the iPad was connected to the wifi. Sometimes no, if wasn't connected to the wifi.

I think you're misunderstanding my issue. I'm trying to ascertain if I can upload pictures I imported via the camera kit to dropbox camera upload WITHOUT connecting to a Mac or PC - in other words, solely in the iPad, because what I notice is that only pictures taken with the iPad, or screenshots, will be uploaded, as they are in the camera roll, and imported pictures won't.

Camera upload via lightning works fine any time, regardless of whether wifi is active or not.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm trying to ascertain if I can upload pictures I imported via the camera kit to dropbox camera upload WITHOUT connecting to a Mac or PC - in other words, solely in the iPad, because what I notice is that only pictures taken with the iPad, or screenshots, will be uploaded, as they are in the camera roll, and imported pictures won't.

Yes, you should be able to manually upload any photos in your iPad photo app using the Dropbox app. Go into the Dropbox app and tap the 3 little circles at the top of the left pane that lists your Dropbox files. When you select Upload, you should see a list of all your albums, starting with the camera roll.

You should confirm that you're getting full resolution uploads, as many apps and cloud services will automatically, or by default, reduce your photos to 3 megapixel.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Yes, you should be able to manually upload any photos in your iPad photo app using the Dropbox app. Go into the Dropbox app and tap the 3 little circles at the top of the left pane that lists your Dropbox files. When you select Upload, you should see a list of all your albums, starting with the camera roll.

You should confirm that you're getting full resolution uploads, as many apps and cloud services will automatically, or by default, reduce your photos to 3 megapixel.

Well DAMN!

This is what I get for not tapping around enough. Thanks!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
This is what I was talking about and when I tried the camera kit my image files were "optimized" and only a fraction of their original size. It is why I would never sue the iPad to store or move these images.

You are right to be cautious, and better safe than sorry, but it is possible to transfer via the iPad without losing resolution. The key is to test your setup, and always verify.

For instance, I just tested again, and my camera kit setup imports all 24MP of a photo. If I try to upload to Flick'r with the iPad's Photos app, only 3MP will transfer, WITH NO WARNING OF REDUCED RESOLUTION, and no setting to change this. However, my PhotoSync app will transfer photos from iPad to Flick'r (and many other places) with full resolution, if configured to do so.

Interestingly, my SanDisk Media Drive, which I purchased in part to safeguard photos while traveling, only transfers 0.7MP resolution to the iPad(!). But this is clearly a bug that they're taking their sweet time to fix.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You are right to be cautious, and better safe than sorry, but it is possible to transfer via the iPad without losing resolution. The key is to test your setup, and always verify.

For instance, I just tested again, and my camera kit setup imports all 24MP of a photo. If I try to upload to Flick'r with the iPad's Photos app, only 3MP will transfer, WITH NO WARNING OF REDUCED RESOLUTION, and no setting to change this. However, my PhotoSync app will transfer photos from iPad to Flick'r (and many other places) with full resolution, if configured to do so.

Interestingly, my SanDisk Media Drive, which I purchased in part to safeguard photos while traveling, only transfers 0.7MP resolution to the iPad(!). But this is clearly a bug that they're taking their sweet time to fix.

Thanks for the comments. When I have to take extended field trips, I take multiple cards and my laptop just to make sure.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
This is what I was talking about and when I tried the camera kit my image files were "optimized" and only a fraction of their original size. It is why I would never sue the iPad to store or move these images.

Interesting. I'm not near my SD card to compare, but I'll have to try this particular procedure out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.