Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
So, in iTunes, I update a playlist, rip or buy some songs, or even create a new playlist, then I select "update iTunes Match" from the iTunes Store menu and...two days later, they're still not showing on my iPhones and iPads. They show up on all my Macs and PCs.
The only way to "update" on iOS is to disable and re-enable iTunes Match. Which means I have to download gigs and gigs of songs to each device every time. What a farce.
Why not just have an "update iTunes Match" option on the iOS devices? So bloody annoying.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
So, in iTunes, I update a playlist, rip or buy some songs, or even create a new playlist, then I select "update iTunes Match" from the iTunes Store menu and...two days later, they're still not showing on my iPhones and iPads. They show up on all my Macs and PCs.
The only way to "update" on iOS is to disable and re-enable iTunes Match. Which means I have to download gigs and gigs of songs to each device every time. What a farce.
Why not just have an "update iTunes Match" option on the iOS devices? So bloody annoying.

That's an odd issue. When I add songs to iTunes Match they show up within seconds.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I have the same issue and I have it even when I buy from iTunes. So annoying!

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

The reason being is that your iOS device should update within seconds - you shouldn't even need to select "update iTunes Match" on your Mac/PC when you make a change.
I see the same thing as Tmelon - adding songs, making / changing playlists, changing any metadata, buying songs in iTunes on my Mac updates both my iPad & iPhone almost instantaneously.
Perhaps worth signing out of iTunes Match completely on your Mac/PC that is your main library and re-enabling?

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
The reason being is that your iOS device should update within seconds - you shouldn't even need to select "update iTunes Match" on your Mac/PC when you make a change.
I see the same thing as Tmelon - adding songs, making / changing playlists, changing any metadata, buying songs in iTunes on my Mac updates both my iPad & iPhone almost instantaneously.
Perhaps worth signing out of iTunes Match completely on your Mac/PC that is your main library and re-enabling?

Really? Since I've been subscribing to Match I've used two different PCs as my "main library", and 3 different iPhones, and an iPad, and I regularly use 2 Macs and a PC at work, and not one of them has ever updated instantly.

Upon ripping a new CD to my main computer (as I prefer to have the physical CD in most cases) I have to do an "update iTunes Match" to get it to sync to the other computers running iTunes (which, to be fair, do update immediately that the sync has finished on the main PC) but the iOS devices have always taken anything from 30 minutes to 3 days to update.

I've been running a little test though - if I update a playlist, that takes a lot longer to sync to iOS devices than if I create a new playlist.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Yep, iPhone & iPad update almost straight away upon any change to existing data in my iTunes Library (playlist creation, editing, metadata, adding / removing tracks to playlist, etc).
Obviously adding new data to iTunes (i.e. upon ripping a new CD) will not appear on the other devices until the iTunes Match process has run (either wait 20 seconds or so upon adding a new CD and the match process will kick in automatically or select "Update iTunes Match" like you are doing).
I've also just done a test and added one of the wife's CD's that was not in my collection. Once the match process had finished it was available straight away on both iPhone & iPad.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I, too, can report that, most of the time, iTunes Match updates with seconds or minutes. I rarely have to force an iTunes Match update.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have mountain lion, do the others who have to wait for a day or 2 for iTunes Match to update for the iPhone have mountain lion as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.