Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 30, 2014, 12:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Bolster iTunes Radio With Localized Ads, Content

Apple has plans to add both targeted local advertisements and broadcast radio stations to its iTunes Radio music service in the coming months, according to a report from The Information. The move will boost its advertising efforts and introduce new content on iTunes Radio, better positioning it to compete with market leader Pandora. Apple is also expected to begin advertising its own iTunes content through the iAd network.
Quote:
In a move that strikes at the heart of Pandora's advertising business, iTunes Radio is expected to enable locally targeted advertising later this year, according to ad buyers who have spoken to Apple. Apple may begin promoting iTunes with "house ads" on its iAd mobile advertising network, an unusual move for the company.
Apple has reportedly contacted broadcasters like Cumulus Media, the second largest operator of radio stations in America. Cumulus serves approximately 150 million listeners in 110 metropolitan areas and could potentially bring multiple local stations to iTunes Radio. Apple made its first moves towards introducing local content on iTunes Radio earlier this year with the launch of the National Public Radio (NPR) channel, which will eventually include local stations offering a mix of live and taped news.

Since the launch of iTunes Radio, Apple has had a renewed focus on advertising, redirecting its iAd team to monetize iTunes Radio through advertising sales. While the company has signed deals on a national level with several high profile companies like McDonald's, Nissan, Pepsi, and Procter & Gamble, local ads are new territory.

The addition of local ads could significantly boost the revenue iTunes Radio pulls in, which is a major threat to Pandora. Pandora currently focuses heavily on local ads with sales teams located in more than 35 markets around the United States.

In April, Apple moved towards expanding into Pandora's local advertising territory by making it easier to create and buy iAds on its network. While a developer account was previously required to create an ad campaign, that restriction has now been removed, making it simpler for advertisers large and small to create ads for the platform.

Apple's efforts to bolster its iTunes Radio revenue through local content come as the company works to acquire Beats Music, a paid streaming music service that delivers content on demand. With both iTunes Radio and Beats Music, Apple is hoping to boost its overall music sales, which have waned in recent years.

Article Link: Apple to Bolster iTunes Radio With Localized Ads, Content
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 12:57 PM   #2
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Where's iTunes Radio outside of the US and Australia? It's not early 2014 anymore.
stuffradio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 12:57 PM   #3
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

sounds interesting? i'm quite liking itunes radio
Old May 30, 2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

I switched back to Pandora

I like Pandora's personlization better, I use iTunes Radio when I want to listen to an unrelated playlist, like the Top 40, Dance mix, etc... But when it comes to **my** stations, it's Pandora
Tiger8 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

This sounds especially convenient now. How many will be making the switch?
Old May 30, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

I would love to have more local ads.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Cool-hopefully they'll carry great stations such as KCRW (89.9 FM)!
Old May 30, 2014, 01:27 PM   #8
mrfrosty
macrumors 6502

Yeeehaaawww now why not localise it outside of the US and get other countries using it too. If they can't get licences to do that what can they get.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:27 PM   #9
madwalker
macrumors newbie

I'd be interested to see iTunes Radio in the UK and elsewhere first. Maybe apple should concentrate on that before thinking of making changes. We can't enjoy the capability without being given it first!
madwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 01:32 PM   #10
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Screw the ads. How much do I have to pay to not get advertising? I've been on advertising overload for years, and can't take it anymore!
Old May 30, 2014, 01:37 PM   #11
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Yuck. The constant Nissan ads are one of the biggest annoyances about iTunes Radio. I would have just given them the $25/year to get rid of them if it also included unlimited skips (like AOL Radio allows on it's paid tier). Without unlimited skips, I couldn't stomach paying Apple. In comes Beats Music which I'm loving thus far.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
rentalanimal
macrumors newbie

So mo lo, bro

So not only is apple making the world a better place, but they are also going to be LO MO SO! Or is it MO LO SO?
rentalanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 01:56 PM   #13
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Butts Headphones!

Great. Not only will it be laced with ads, but every other ad will be about Beats. Ugh!!!

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 01:56 PM   #14
needfx
macrumors 68020

chomp away, no one cares about innovation nowadays anyway
needfx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:03 PM   #15
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwoodrocket View Post
I would love to have more local ads.
Yeah, they really need a way to enable ads for iTunes Match subscribers (or just not block them).
Old May 30, 2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Shlooky
macrumors member

What about Canada? How difficult is it to bring iTunes Radio here?
Sigh!
Shlooky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:08 PM   #17
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlooky View Post
What about Canada? How difficult is it to bring iTunes Radio here?
Sigh!
it's too cold, forget it
needfx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

No iTunes Radio, no ads...at least in the rest of the world.
Old May 30, 2014, 02:17 PM   #19
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Screw the ads. How much do I have to pay to not get advertising? I've been on advertising overload for years, and can't take it anymore!
$25 a year. Buy iTunes Match and you get no ads.
Old May 30, 2014, 02:24 PM   #20
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyturbouk View Post
sounds interesting? i'm quite liking itunes radio
So far it's not doing it for me..... I can stand listen to it every couple weeks for half an hour tops.

After half an hour it just repeats the same songs over and over. It also seems to ignore my wishes and keeps playing songs that I flagged for "Do not play again"

If I want more local ads I turn on FM radio..... for me Pandora is currently better.
BigHonkingDeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:25 PM   #21
MacMikePro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Um $25 a year, it comes ad free with iTunes Match, which will let you stream your personal iTunes music from the cloud as well as being like a back up of your entire library. So basically you get ad free iTunes Radio, all the benefits of iTunes Match, AND it's cheaper than Pandora.
iPod Shuffle 4GB and TV 3rd Gen
MacMikePro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:50 PM   #22
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

How about bringing it to canada
jmh600cbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:56 PM   #23
perealb
macrumors regular

At this moment, the best music service is Spotify. I'm a subscriber and I love it. I know it's not like Pandora or iTunes radio but you can create a radio based on a playlist or song. I will try Beats again but when I used it before, I didn't like its inflexibility. I like the idea of curated playlists that the people from Beats are talking about. Spotify already has that, though. It's more or less like a curated radio statio that both Pandora and Slacker have, except that in Spotify you are able to see all its songs and play any particular one at any time you want. I've had iTunes Match for few years now but it seems something very outdated now that I have access to over 20 million songs. I will not be renovating iTunes Match when it expires. One thing that I miss from iTunes Match (or using iTunes) is the smart playlists that I relied on the past, but this concept doesn't fit well with Spotify. They need to come up with something similar.

Last edited by perealb; May 30, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
perealb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 02:57 PM   #24
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
I like Pandora's personlization better, I use iTunes Radio when I want to listen to an unrelated playlist, like the Top 40, Dance mix, etc... But when it comes to **my** stations, it's Pandora
My stations freezing and permanently refusing to play after 5-10 plays is ironically what got me into trying Pandora (granted that was months ago). I tried Last.fm but at the time it couldn't find much music I was interested in, I may have to try it again now that my tastes have changed up a bit.
Old May 30, 2014, 03:11 PM   #25
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
I know how they could make a little more money out of iTunes Radio...

That's a point, maybe they'll announce iTunes Radio rolling out to a bunch of other countries at WWDC?
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion