Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
My iphone 5s went dead some minutes ago with about 60% battery, it wouldn't turn on by simply holding down the power button, so I searched online and found out about trying to turn it on by holding both power and home buttons.

It finally turned on but now it was asking me to connect it to Itunes, which I did and now it tells me it has to restore the iphone which is what iam doing right now.

Question is, why did this happen? Even if it works fine after the restoration should I be alarmed and send it to apple?

Nothing like this ever happened to the iphone or to my ipad.

Thanks!

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
My iphone 5s went dead some minutes ago with about 60% battery, it wouldn't turn on by simply holding down the power button, so I searched online and found out about trying to turn it on by holding both power and home buttons.

It finally turned on but now it was asking me to connect it to Itunes, which I did and now it tells me it has to restore the iphone which is what iam doing right now.

Question is, why did this happen? Even if it works fine after the restoration should I be alarmed and send it to apple?

Nothing like this ever happened to the iphone or to my ipad.

Thanks!

If I had to take a wild guess I'd guess that some of the SSD got corrupted and now needs to be reformatted. If it ever happens again see if you can look at the crash logs.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Update:

It seems the itunes did not do the usual restoration but just reinstalled the firmware and now my iphone is exactly like it was just before it went dead. I can even see the recently opened apps that I went to just before it went dead, so it did not format the whole iphone.

Weird huh?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Update:

It seems the itunes did not do the usual restoration but just reinstalled the firmware and now my iphone is exactly like it was just before it went dead. I can even see the recently opened apps that I went to just before it went dead, so it did not format the whole iphone.

Weird huh?

That's most likely because you had a very recent backup.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
You probably have it setup to backup in the cloud.

Yes I do, but it couldn't possibly have downloaded 10 gigs of apps in 16 minutes, my internet is not that fast lol it would at least take a day

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'm sure they're secretly out to get you, rather than just giving helpful advice by suggesting that you back up your data often.

I'm just asking how the new iPhone coming out should have a relationship with how often I back up? I don't see the relationship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.