Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merf64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2014
Looks like I messed something up when I was putting my iMac back together after replacing a faulty internal drive. I need something that will override the system CPU fan speed and let me reduce it (it is currently running at max speed). The programs I've found only override HDD and optical drive fan speeds. I've never been able to hear my CPU fan for the life of my mac, so I think just reducing the fan speed to medium should be perfectly safe.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
This is the best I've found, and works under both OSX and Bootcamp. It allows you to slave a fan to a particular sensor, which I've used to kick on my GPU fans a bit earlier since my GPU seems a bit flakey.

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Not affiliated with Crystalidea - just a very happy user.

If you run the apple diagnostics, it should tell you which sensor is having problems, though you might have to google the code to figure out which one its talking about.

Could be a simple case of forgetting to have hooked a sensor back up, or a connector not in all the way.

merf64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2014
Thanks!

Great app! Thanks a lot. Works perfectly. I'll also look into what exactly is going on so I know what the problem is. Definitely don't want anything overheating due to my ignorance.

Thanks!

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Great app! Thanks a lot. Works perfectly. I'll also look into what exactly is going on so I know what the problem is. Definitely don't want anything overheating due to my ignorance.

Thanks!

2009-2011 iMacs cannot have the drive replaced with a non-Apple OEM HDD; otherwise the sensor trips and the fan(s) go full-speed. The 2009-2010 iMacs can have their sensor cable replaced with one that works; the 2011 model cannot because the sensor is built into the SATA cable. Third-party HDD's do not have the Apple propriety firmware in them that the sensor connects with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.