Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not a problem. If I don't pay my mortgage, stop driving to work, and stop eating I should be fine.:p

I will continue buying coffee no matter what it costs!

Life without espresso is not worth living!

OK, I was criticized elsewhere for the use of hyperbole...so I'll modify that and say life without espresso is barely worth living.

One final note...this bites!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Not a problem. If I don't pay my mortgage, stop driving to work, and stop eating I should be fine.:p

I will continue buying coffee no matter what it costs!

Life without espresso is not worth living!

OK, I was criticized elsewhere for the use of hyperbole...so I'll modify that and say life without espresso is barely worth living.

One final note...this bites!

They talk about you in the article!

For the most part, coffee doesn't work this way. An estimated 54 percent of American adults drink coffee every day, and tea won't suffice. Coffee is an exotic plant that can only be grown in very specific ecosystems thousands of miles away, but we've come to see it as a daily staple, and many Americans who depend on drinking it will do so regardless of price increases.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
First beer then coffee. And I hear peat is likely to become scarce too, so there goes my scotch.

Bloody hell.

I might have to hitch to MA and scout for a certain flat-topped coffee maniac to mooch off of....

:eek:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
First beer then coffee. And I hear peat is likely to become scarce too, so there goes my scotch.

Bloody hell.

I might have to hitch to MA and scout for a certain flat-topped coffee maniac to mooch off of....

:eek:

Since I narcissistically assume that I am he to whom you refer...come ahead. I'll ALWAYS have coffee, and some very good single malt I am happy to share.:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, yes. I would class myself as yet another of those for whom the term 'inelastic demand' (what a very strange mouthful) could be considered to apply where coffee is concerned. In other words, I'll pay what it asks on the tin, without too much thought, angst or reflection.

Granted, discretionary expenditure in other areas of life may indeed be curtailed, depending on need, want, and means, but not my expenditure on coffee…….

It looks as though Chateau Shrink may yet end up playing host to a number of us……..

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Would imagine this affects the bulk low cost coffee used for instant and supermarket quality beans more than 'decent' coffee?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Would imagine this affects the bulk low cost coffee used for instant and supermarket quality beans more than 'decent' coffee?

Interesting question...I'd like to know that, too.

Since supermarket quality coffee is mostly Robusta and very low grade Arabica (instant is the lowest grade Robusta), it would depend upon where the problems occurred...at the lower altitude farms, further from the Equator, producing lower grade coffee, or do the problems effect the higher altitude farms, closer to the Equator, which produce the high grade Arabicas?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Interesting question...I'd like to know that, too.

Since supermarket quality coffee is mostly Robusta and very low grade Arabica (instant is the lowest grade Robusta), it would depend upon where the problems occurred...at the lower altitude farms, further from the Equator, producing lower grade coffee, or do the problems effect the higher altitude farms, closer to the Equator, which produce the high grade Arabicas?

Yes true I'm not sure.

I guess ultimately its a few extra pounds for us a week compared to basically living or dying for some of these farmers if they didn't get enough money so it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yes true I'm not sure.

I guess ultimately its a few extra pounds for us a week compared to basically living or dying for some of these farmers if they didn't get enough money so it really doesn't matter in scheme of things.

Completely agree. A small penalty for me is negligible...for the farmers it counts big time.

One of the nice things about buying from Sweet Marias is that I know that they are very concerned about their bean sources, and treat them decently. If SM goes up in price...no problem.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes true I'm not sure.

I guess ultimately its a few extra pounds for us a week compared to basically living or dying for some of these farmers if they didn't get enough money so it really doesn't matter in scheme of things.

Exactly. Well said. That is my take on the topic, as well.

If the cost of coffee increases to the extent where I find myself paying a few extra pounds, euros, or dollars for some coffee, and if this serves to improve their lives, or helps remove them from utter deprivation, or alleviate poverty, why then, it is something I have no issue with at all.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Completely agree. A small penalty for me is negligible...for the farmers it counts big time.

One of the nice things about buying from Sweet Marias is that I know that they are very concerned about their bean sources, and treat them decently. If SM goes up in price...no problem.

This is why I love Hasbean in the UK as well. The owner pays the farmers a very fair price for beans, he often visits the places personally to deal with them directly too.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i'll just have to make my own more often once starbucks raises their prices

even then, the big chains have bought futures long into the future and are probably immune from price hikes for a while

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I don't think it will make a crippling difference in stores. Maybe a little upped, but that happens like all the time anyway

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I think your position pretty much sums it up for most coffee drinkers...we just will pay the tab.:)
Exactly, and it's either that or stop drinking. But that's not an option, I couldn't imagine starting my day without my cup of coffee. And certainly not in the cold winter times lol. :rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Exactly, and it's either that or stop drinking. But that's not an option, I couldn't imagine starting my day without my cup of coffee. And certainly not in the cold winter times lol. :rolleyes:

I have a difficult time getting up in the mornings and coffee plus a shower is the only things that help wake me up.

I, too, will pay the increased cost of coffee - gladly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.