Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

didgmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Seoul
Hi everyone, I really like the design and weight of iPad Air, the only flaw is of course it doesn't have Touch ID. Since Touch ID works very well on my 5s and the rumor says it will come with the next Gen. iPad Air. So should I buy it now or wait for the next one? As we know, iPads always come out in Nov. or so. Any ideas?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hi everyone, I really like the design and weight of iPad Air, the only flaw is of course it doesn't have Touch ID. Since Touch ID works very well on my 5s and the rumor says it will come with the next Gen. iPad Air. So should I buy it now or wait for the next one? As we know, iPads always come out in Nov. or so. Any ideas?

You should wait cause by asking seems like you don't need it at all.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA

When is the next one coming out? See what Apple will say next week

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
If the Touch ID is that important to you, it makes sense for you to wait until the iPad has that feature.

I usually trade up with both my iPhone and iPad every two years. I also try to hit timing when there are major differences from the previous model. For the phones I'm on the even number value. I.e. I have an iPhone 5 and really found no reason to trade up to the 5S as the Touch ID was the main difference and for me it wasn't a feature that I was even interested in. The design, size, etc. of the iPhone of the 5S was basically the same as the 5. The expectations for the new iPhone 6 will be another new design, bigger but thinner. For my iPad, I traded up last year to the iPad Air as it had the whole new design and shape. I like having the latest design. However trading up with the new design does have some issues - like not having the accessories you want available at launch date. That's a bit of a drag.

I could trade up each year but don't as I usually don't see features that would make me want to trade up. And with the Apple products they definitely last the two years and more so there isn't a need to trade up unless you want to.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wait.

IPad Air 2 will be everything iPad Air should have and could have been last year. Should double RAM and include TouchID.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

There are rumours that the iPad Air 2 will release earlier this year. However when that will be no one but Apple knows. I also want to upgrade my iPad from my current iPad 3, however because I really like Touch ID and I use my iPad at univeristy and out in public, I will be waiting for the iPad Air 2 which hopefully will come with Touch ID. But if you don't want that feature you could buy an iPad Air now. It depends on your needs.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm faced with the same problem, posted in a different thread. This answer is making the most sense to me.

Well, I speak it as someone who sold his iPad 3 just ahead of the Air launch... And then was disappointed... But had no iPad so had already committed. LOL :(

didgmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Seoul
Thanks for all replies.
The reason I like Touch ID is it makes it so easy to unlock a device with passcode protected. So I think I'll just make a purchase right now then set the passcode time to 1 hour, it will suit my needs. :D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thanks for all replies.
The reason I like Touch ID is it makes it so easy to unlock a device with passcode protected. So I think I'll just make a purchase right now then set the passcode time to 1 hour, it will suit my needs. :D
Is your wallet attached to a bomb ready to go off within 24 hours?!

WWDC is Monday. I'd suggest waiting until then to see what if anything they say about iPads and then make a decision.

didgmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Seoul
Is your wallet attached to a bomb ready to go off within 24 hours?!

WWDC is Monday. I'd suggest waiting until then to see what if anything they say about iPads and then make a decision.

LOL, actually there is no bomb in my wallet. I was going to make my final decision after the keynote cause it's just 2 days left.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Odds are they are not announcing iPads on Monday. Period.

That said, buying a new iPad Air at this point seems silly given where we are in the iPad refresh cycle. So, I'd wait.

Another option is to buy an Apple Certified Refurbished model of the current model as that won't devalue as quickly and will still be sold after the iPad Air is updated.

So, in closing, I'd do one of those two things.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
You should always wait.

Seriously if you bought one today you could return it if a new device was announced (unlikely).

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
I'm on an iPad 2 at the moment and it's starting to slow up considerably. As Apple have now (surprisingly quite recently though) stopped selling it, I'm anticipating support will be dropped for it in iOS 8, but I will definitely wait until the Air 2 or whatever name Apple choose to give it, providing it has Touch ID etc., otherwise I'll have to wait more if Apple only give it a minor update. Personally, I'm definitely not expecting a reveal at WWDC, I think it'll be an Autumn launch, as we saw with the iPad 3 and iPad 4.

I don't see what you iPad 3 owners are complaining about, it's still perfectly fine! ;)

micha10589

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Same here

I'm on an iPad 2 at the moment and it's starting to slow up considerably. As Apple have now (surprisingly quite recently though) stopped selling it, I'm anticipating support will be dropped for it in iOS 8, but I will definitely wait until the Air 2 or whatever name Apple choose to give it, providing it has Touch ID etc., otherwise I'll have to wait more if Apple only give it a minor update. Personally, I'm definitely not expecting a reveal at WWDC, I think it'll be an Autumn launch, as we saw with the iPad 3 and iPad 4.

I don't see what you iPad 3 owners are complaining about, it's still perfectly fine! ;)

Same here, iPad 2 with 7.1 is very slow (my iPhone 4S is almost unchanged). I've been thinking of upgrading to iPad Air, but: I want Touch ID and most every time I change an app I have to reload when I get back. I really hope they upgrade to 2GB of RAM and this fixes the problem.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Same here, iPad 2 with 7.1 is very slow (my iPhone 4S is almost unchanged). I've been thinking of upgrading to iPad Air, but: I want Touch ID and most every time I change an app I have to reload when I get back. I really hope they upgrade to 2GB of RAM and this fixes the problem.

Unfortunately I won't be upgrading my iPhone any time soon, probably not until the iPhone 7, leaving me with no up-to-date devices in terms of the newest iOS until hopefully the Air 2, so my dev account was pretty much a waste of money as I can't get the betas this year. :(

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Ya know, the safest way to approach this is to simply never buy anything. Then you are guaranteed to never feel outdated or whatever it is people feel when their electronics get "old". ;)

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Wait.

IPad Air 2 will be everything iPad Air should have and could have been last year. Should double RAM and include TouchID.

Funny most rumors show 1 GB of Ram. Which is hard to believe but it's Apple so who knows.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Wait.

Yes, because everyday iPad Air users around the globe swipe to open their iPads only to mumble loudly to themselves, "Damn, sure wish this had TouchID."?

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Unless you just need one now, then I would say get a refurb from Apple but personally I'm waiting until they get updated with touch id

dishfan82

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Eh... Touch ID works when it wants to. Sometimes it is spot on and other times it acts if you have never set it up. You could wait and if the next gen air doesn't impress you then get the current air.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
still on my ipad 1 here - but already got the money for the next one. it will probably come out in september/october - hoping for at least 1,5gb of ram (and maybe double the storage for the same price - it's getting ridiculous).

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I just bought an Air because I broke my iPad 3. I don't use TouchID on my iPhone, so I won't be missing anything if they add it to the next iPad. I really like the size of the iPad Air. Would have I bought an iPad Air or the next iPad if I hadn't shattered mine?...nope. I did manage to successfully replace the glass on my 3 last weekend, but I am still glad to have the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.