Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Werewolf01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
I'm trying to pull everything off of my old late-2011 macbook pro onto my shiny new late-2013 macbook pro, including my old Bootcamp partition.

I would prefer, to keep things as smooth as possible, in order to migrate via a clone-and-restore utility (in my case, Winclone), rather than by reinstalling windows from scratch and attempting to manually copy over all the important files via an external hard drive or target disk mode or something.

Everything went smoothly right up until the last step. My issue is in the drivers: any clone I make of my Bootcamp partition still has the drivers for the late-2011 MBP, so when I restore that clone to my late-2013 MBP and am prompted to re-enter my Windows 7 registration key (having used sysprep on the old partition before cloning), I can't click or type anything in order to enter my key because the system doesn't recognize inputs from my keyboard, trackpad, or USB mouse.

I used Bootcamp Assistant on the new MBP to download the essential drivers onto a thumb drive thinking that would help, but unfortunately they have to be installed within Bootcamp via running on a "setup.exe", which I can't do since I can't click or type anything to even get past the registration screen.

When I started running out of options, I tried taking that thumb drive and plugging it back into my old MBP on my old Bootcamp partition to see if I can install the new drivers on the old partition ahead of time, so that when I make a clone, the drivers would already be there--but that didn't work either; trying to run "setup.exe" on the old mac yields an error: "This version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model."

Does anyone else have any recommendations? Is there any way to install the new drivers on the old system so they can be there ahead of time when I clone? Or is the only option to make a new, fresh install using the Bootcamp Assistant and manually copy old stuff over item-by-item?

Thanks in advance.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I don't personally have a newer MacBook Pro but from my research these should be the correct steps

1. Make sure you have the latest version of the BootCamp drivers on a USB stick.
  2. Now go into Terminal and type "diskutil list" make note of which number your Windows partition is.
  3. Now type "sudo bless --device /dev/disk1s# --setBoot --nextonly --legacy" (Where # is the partition you made note of in the previous step)
  4. When your in Windows, Install the USB3 drivers right away (its in one of the subfolders).
  5. Restart and then install the whole Bootcamp driver package.

Your basically booting Windows in a legacy BIOS mode with USB2 support for 1 reboot, after which (the next restart) it will revert to normal. This is because Windows 7 does not support USB3 by default and it gives you a chance to install the USB3 drivers.

P.S. You could also just use DISM to install the USB3 drivers offline.

Werewolf01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Now type "sudo bless --device /dev/disk1s# --setBoot --nextonly --legacy"

I tried this three times, but unfortunately the mouse and keyboard still don't work at the registration screen.

P.S. You could also just use DISM to install the USB3 drivers offline.

As a Mac user my entire life, I am unfamiliar with DISM. Can you explain to me what that is and how I use it?

EDIT: If the issue is exclusively in the USB3.0 drivers, can I possibly download some appropriate drivers somewhere on the web, install them on my old computer's bootcamp partition, then redo the clone-and-restore process?

EDIT 2: Now that I think about it, if possible, I would REALLY prefer to find some way to make my current clone work rather than re-doing the clone and restore process altogether, because I just remembered you can only sysprep an image 3 times and I'm pretty sure I've already done it twice.

Last edited:

Werewolf01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
OK, so with some googling I figured out what DISM is and a general idea of how to use it. As a proof-of-concept trial run, I used my Windows 7 install disk to make a bootable USB install drive. As I expected, at first, the mouse and keyboard weren't working when booting from the install drive. But, after using DISM to install the drivers downloaded with Boot Camp Assistant while the USB drive was "offline," the mouse and keyboard were working fine. So, I know that using DISM will work.

What's the target .wim file that I'm supposed to mount and modify using DISM in my bootcamp partition? When I was doing my trial run on my bootable install USB, I was modifying "boot.wim" and "install.wim" in the Sources folder. But what and where are the target .wim files in the actual partition?

I'm thinking I copy those .wim files and transport them via flash drive to a working windows computer, then use DISM to install the necessary drivers on those files, then transport them back and copy+replace (with a backup of course) back where I found them.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Seems like it would have been easier/faster to just go about it the backup files/clean install way. Then again it's fun to figure this stuff out. :D

Werewolf01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Seems like it would have been easier/faster to just go about it the backup files/clean install way. Then again it's fun to figure this stuff out. :D

It's not as easy as you think! Last time I went through this process I did it the old-fashioned way, and that was just as much of a hassle, that I ended up having to re-download (where applicable), re-install, and re-configure literally every single application on the system.

Besides, I'm so close now I can almost taste it. I know how to use DISM, and I know I can use DISM to successfully install the drivers that work with my new MBP, because I already did it successfully on a proof-of-concept bootable drive.

I just need to know the name and location of the .wim file in my Bootcamp system that I need to change. I've tried googling around but everything I've found thus far isn't really all that clear.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Currently struggling with a similar transfer. My head is wrecked. This is so onerous I'm acutlaly tihnking of returning the new machine. Everytime I try to install I get a different problem. To the point where its nto even worth trying to describe. Total farce. Bootcamp used to just work. Now its a total .....disaster. Shame on Apple for this shoddyness.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Currently struggling with a similar transfer. My head is wrecked. This is so onerous I'm acutlaly tihnking of returning the new machine. Everytime I try to install I get a different problem. To the point where its nto even worth trying to describe. Total farce. Bootcamp used to just work. Now its a total .....disaster. Shame on Apple for this shoddyness.
True that.. :(

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I've spent almost 48 hrs just triyng to install this. If I can't get it done today I'm returning it tomorrow.

Absolute farce.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I had work I was gonna do in that time! :mad:

Basically giving it one more go via bootcamp, then will try one method using rEfit that I had to use on a macbook air before - if it doesn't work after that I'm done

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
It's not as easy as you think! Last time I went through this process I did it the old-fashioned way, and that was just as much of a hassle, that I ended up having to re-download (where applicable), re-install, and re-configure literally every single application on the system.

Besides, I'm so close now I can almost taste it. I know how to use DISM, and I know I can use DISM to successfully install the drivers that work with my new MBP, because I already did it successfully on a proof-of-concept bootable drive.

I just need to know the name and location of the .wim file in my Bootcamp system that I need to change. I've tried googling around but everything I've found thus far isn't really all that clear.

Werewolf01 - the closest thing I can get to working windows is by downloading this onto the windows partition of my old machine:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721

Then wincloning windows to back up. Then using winclone to recreate this on the new machine. Then open windows and run that downloaded file.

This prodcues a "working" windows 7 - however it is really really slow and I don't know why.

I can't get windows to run ont he new machine AT ALL by the offical boot camp install. I keep running into problems

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Wow.

Was getting some error aobut DVD/CD drivers missing. Finally got rid of the error by doing an SMC reset and now can do clean install. Like seriously wtf apple ?

Edit:
Ok works now. I'll not send the machine back. But jesus.......that was way too hard - literally 48 hours to get it working

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.