Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Let's say I'm on a website and I want to download a video.

It is about 3 GB. I have a 30 mbps internet connection.

My write speed on my late 2013 MBPr is like 575 mbps.

But in chrome under downloads it says like 2-3 mbps.

It still only took like 6-7 minutes, but shouldn't it be faster? At least 30 mbps?

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Chrome is showing you the download speed in Megabytes per second. Your internet is in Megabits per second. 30 megabits = 3 Megabytes.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
First, make sure you are not confusing megabits with megabytes. Internet speeds are usually rated in terms of megabits. Having the video write to your drive at 2 megabytes per second is about 16 megabits per second. You ISP may not be providing you with the marketed speed due to congestion or peek usage. Resulting in a lower write speed. Or it could be that the source server of the video only has a 16 megabit upload speed and it cannot go faster than that or it could be limited to only be 16 megabits per second.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
So what would be the point in having a super fast write speed if it is bottle necked by your internet connection? :confused:

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
so you think the only time that you will use your HD (in terms of reading/writing) is when you are downloading a video?

-_-

So what would be the point in having a super fast write speed if it is bottle necked by your internet connection? :confused:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA

Internet and download isn't the only reason for write speed. High write speed is good for duplicating files, backing up files (especially other SSDs), working with large photo edits or video edits (although in reality those will see little improvements), anything that writes to the SSD.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Internet and download isn't the only reason for write speed. High write speed is good for duplicating files, backing up files (especially other SSDs), working with large photo edits or video edits (although in reality those will see little improvements), anything that writes to the SSD.

Ok, well I barely do any of that. I don't duplicate anything, backup anything (everythings in the cloud for me), or any photo or video edits.

If I save a word document or something which would be like 1 MB or so that should take 1/575 seconds lol.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Ok, well I barely do any of that. I don't duplicate anything, backup anything (everythings in the cloud for me), or any photo or video edits.

If I save a word document or something which would be like 1 MB or so that should take 1/575 seconds lol.

But your OS does this all the time, every time you open an app, close one, open a new window etc etc the OS is writing cache files, status files etc etc so having the high write speed helps make your machine as responsive as it is. Being able to write downloaded videos at SSD speed won't have even been on the designers radar as previous generations of hard drive could already more than keep pace on the fastest effective download available.

Just because you have a 30mbps internet connection doesn't get you a free upgrade to the entire internet, servers under load (or restricting the speed they will allow a single connection), congestion or a lack of capacity in certain places, faults causing re-routing are all reasons why your download speed from a particular site will be slower.

There is a lot of hardware between your computers drive and the drive on the remote server you are downloading from, your download will only run at the speed of the slowest component.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
But your OS does this all the time, every time you open an app, close one, open a new window etc etc the OS is writing cache files, status files etc etc so having the high write speed helps make your machine as responsive as it is. Being able to write downloaded videos at SSD speed won't have even been on the designers radar as previous generations of hard drive could already more than keep pace on the fastest effective download available.

Just because you have a 30mbps internet connection doesn't get you a free upgrade to the entire internet, servers under load (or restricting the speed they will allow a single connection), congestion or a lack of capacity in certain places, faults causing re-routing are all reasons why your download speed from a particular site will be slower.

There is a lot of hardware between your computers drive and the drive on the remote server you are downloading from, your download will only run at the speed of the slowest component.

But it's very unlikely you'll need more than 575 mbps write speed for those files as they are so small!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
But it's very unlikely you'll need more than 575 mbps write speed for those files as they are so small!

The point is, the faster those kind of files can be written, the faster your machine can run. The biggest slowdown in normal running of a computer is writing to disk so if that can be faster, your machine can make better use of the CPU and RAM as it is not waiting for the disk I/O.

Remember what seems "fast" to a human is unendingly slow to a computer CPU.

If you want more detail I'd suggest you do some further reading, there are plenty of good books on how computers work. Suffice to say faster disk read and write speeds are NEVER a problem and ALWAYS a benefit (even before you connect to the internet). :)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The point is, the faster those kind of files can be written, the faster your machine can run. The biggest slowdown in normal running of a computer is writing to disk so if that can be faster, your machine can make better use of the CPU and RAM as it is not waiting for the disk I/O.

Remember what seems "fast" to a human is unendingly slow to a computer CPU.

If you want more detail I'd suggest you do some further reading, there are plenty of good books on how computers work. Suffice to say faster disk read and write speeds are NEVER a problem and ALWAYS a benefit (even before you connect to the internet). :)

I see your point. A lot of people on here say that the Sandisk write spead is 575 while the samsung is 700 but it doesn't make a difference?

I made a video on it actually and it didn't seem to make a difference.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I see your point. A lot of people on here say that the Sandisk write spead is 575 while the samsung is 700 but it doesn't make a difference?

It will make a difference to the CPU but not much of a difference to the human operating it except over time (so certain backup tasks may complete faster etc if the additional speed can be used on say an SSD-to-SSD backup), but in terms of responsiveness both are likely to appear to be equally fast to the user.

Some on here will obsess over such differences but while a normal spinning disk writing at say 80Mbps will obviously see an improvement if replaced by either the 575 or 700Mbps SSDs, the difference between the SSDs will be much less apparent if at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.