Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Hi,

I have a 2010 15" MacBook Pro running 10.9.3 and for the past week I have been having issues with Wi-Fi. Sometimes (I can't find what causes it to stop working), it will stop working completely. What happens, in details, is:

-Wifi and Internet works
-Internet stops working, all page loadings hang
-I shut off the Wi-Fi and when I try to turn it back on it looks like this
Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 7.10.05 PM.png

So what I do is I delete Wi-Fi from my network connections, apply changes and then re-add it and it sometimes fixes it for a few minutes. Sometimes it then stops working. Sometimes my whole system becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot. I even got a kernel panic.

Otherwise I reboot and hope it works after I reboot, because it doesn't consistently fix the problem, sometimes my Wi-Fi acts as if it was functional, but it doesn't detect ANY network (and I am well within reach of my Wi-Fi network). That's how it looks:
Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 7.12.14 PM.png

What I tried so far:
-Resetting PRAM
-Repairing permissions
-Deleting all locations
-Deleting all network preferences (by deleting the SystemConfiguration folder (I think that was the name, but I'm not sure, it's been a few days, but it did reset everything))
-Reinstalling OS X (the soft way, I did not format, only went in recovery to reinstall)

WHAT CAN I DO? It's the most frustrating problem I've experienced with my computer so far and I hope I won't have to pay 600$ for a new motherboard because I don't have that money right now...

Is there something else I can do that I did not try?

Thanks!

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Sounds like either the antenna connections have come loose or your airport card is on the way out. Thankfully it is a separate board from the logic board so it doesn't require the replacement of the entire logic board. iFixit lists the following part: Mid 2010 MBP 15" AirPort Card.

You can either take it to Apple and get them to fix it - out of warranty it will probably cost ~$150 or you can do it yourself by tracking down one of those cards.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Sounds like either the antenna connections have come loose or your airport card is on the way out. Thankfully it is a separate board from the logic board so it doesn't require the replacement of the entire logic board. iFixit lists the following part: Mid 2010 MBP 15" AirPort Card.

You can either take it to Apple and get them to fix it - out of warranty it will probably cost ~$150 or you can do it yourself by tracking down one of those cards.

I'll verify the connections and I may buy a new Airport card...

Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.