Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Rises to #5 in This Year's Fortune 500 Rankings

Fortune has just released its annual "Fortune 500" list, which is a high-profile ranking of the largest companies in the United States ranked by revenue. This year, Apple has taken the #5 spot, up from #6 in last year's rankings and from #17 in 2012.

The Apple Store Fifth Avenue in New York City, New York
Quote:
Apple's net sales keep climbing, as the tech giant continues to sell more iPhones and digital content. But the company faces pressure in the smartphone business, as Android phones grow increasingly dominant. Meanwhile, Apple reported an annual drop in net income in fiscal year 2013, a first in more than a decade. Activist investor Carl Icahn last year disclosed a stake in Apple and subsequently pushed for the company to spend billions on share buybacks. In April, the company increased the amount of shares it is authorized to repurchase and raised its quarterly dividend by 8%, and in late May it announced it was acquiring Beats Music and Beats Electronics for $3 billion.
Wal-Mart once again beat out ExxonMobil for this year's #1 ranking, with Chevron and Berkshire Hathaway ranking ahead of Apple's $170.9 billion in revenue. Apple's profit of $37 billion dollars also ranked first among Fortune 500 companies despite falling 11.3% from last year.

Apple announced last week that it would be buying Beats Electronics and the Beats Music streaming service for a total of $3 billion, making it the largest acquisition in company history. Apple is also expected to launch a number of new products this year, including a larger iPhone, new Macs, new versions of OS X and iOS, and an "iWatch" smartwatch.

Article Link: Apple Rises to #5 in This Year's Fortune 500 Rankings
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:45 AM   #2
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Nowhere to go but do—well, up a few places but then dooown.
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:45 AM   #3
mangomind
macrumors 6502

Go Apple!

Last edited by mangomind; Jun 2, 2014 at 07:51 AM.
mangomind is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Dekema2
macrumors regular

I wonder if the NFL is on there with all the revenue it generates
Old Jun 2, 2014, 07:52 AM   #5
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekema2 View Post
NFL generates about $10 billion in revenue
Not even in the same ballpark, er stadium, so to speak

Last edited by MacDawg; Jun 2, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

That's what you get when you charge people $100 to double their storage.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Wow Fortune's new website is awful.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomind View Post
Go Apple!
These lists are as important as who the best quarterback of all times is , and who the sexiest actress is in Hollywood.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Constable Odo
macrumors regular

As soon as Samsung transitions from Android to Tizen, Android is going to quickly lose market share momentum. Hopefully Samsung will be able to get out from under Google and Android's thumb. With Samsung selling so many devices using Android, a shift to Tizen would have to slow Android's rapid growth of smartphone and tablet market share. In another year, we'll see how little influence Android has without Samsung practically carrying it. Samsung is Android's most influential hardware partner. I think Wall Street is going to be in for a rude awakening relatively soon.
Constable Odo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Serban
macrumors 68030

we hope after this year Apple to become Nr 1
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:16 AM   #11
mangomind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
That's what you get when you charge people $100 to double their storage.
That's what you are able to do if you produce amazing products.
mangomind is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:20 AM   #12
mangomind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
As soon as Samsung transitions from Android to Tizen, Android is going to quickly lose market share momentum. Hopefully Samsung will be able to get out from under Google and Android's thumb. With Samsung selling so many devices using Android, a shift to Tizen would have to slow Android's rapid growth of smartphone and tablet market share. In another year, we'll see how little influence Android has without Samsung practically carrying it. Samsung is Android's most influential hardware partner. I think Wall Street is going to be in for a rude awakening relatively soon.
You are right... soon mobile market share will be split between Google Android, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows Mobile, and Samsung Tizen. Every one of these companies produce their own hardware and software.
mangomind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:26 AM   #13
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekema2 View Post
Plus the NFL is a not for profit group - if you can somehow wrap your head around that
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Godzilla71
macrumors 6502

Way to go Apple! Take that you doom saying analysts!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:31 AM   #15
sprezz
macrumors member

wasn't apple once #1, or was that just market cap with the high stock price 3 years ago?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:32 AM   #16
iMacBooked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to iMacBooked Send a message via AIM to iMacBooked Send a message via MSN to iMacBooked Send a message via Yahoo to iMacBooked Send a message via Skype™ to iMacBooked
Good job
Old Jun 2, 2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
These lists are as important as who the best quarterback of all times is , and who the sexiest actress is in Hollywood.
The difference is I don't have stocks in the sexiest actress in Hollywood.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:01 AM   #18
Keane16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Ha, well said.

Every year Apple faces pressures and threats and a nice chunk of commentators (professional and armchair) say they're doomed.

But as a company/business they're doing just fine. And have been for a number of years.

I'm happy from a shareholder and customer viewpoint.

Looking forward to WWDC.
Keane16 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:08 AM   #19
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Considering their limited product selection compared to the others, its quite amazing they are so high.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:09 AM   #20
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
What is wrong with the FORTUNE website?? I can't see any of the lists...something is wrong with the site, or it won't display properly on my browser (Safari)

Anybody else having the same problem viewing the FORTUNE list on their site?

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:10 AM   #21
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Maybe Apple is "only" #5 in terms of sales, but it is far and away #1 as for profit and recurring profitability.

Notably this is on a very narrow list of SKU's for inventory, even lower than the oil company, because despite lots of volume in a few SKU's, the sheer range is vast as compared to Apple. Also the inventory and transport cost for Apple inventory is lower.

The comparison of business models to get to the goal is the real story here.

There's no comparison among the top five for environmental impact or overhead to achieve goal.

Rocketman
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:29 AM   #22
reevans
macrumors newbie

They Always Value REVENUE

These professional pundits always seem to think that the most important metric is revenue or market share or anything else but profit. As I understand, any company in business is only interested in working hard and well enough to MAKE A PROFIT. Apple is doing the best possible job of making a profit while also making great products and services. People love them like no other company on earth and still that isn't good enough for these pundits. Anything to bring down greatness.
reevans is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Usually not a long term investment consideration, although hats of to some evergreens:-)

I bet Apple is better of counting their cash than their standing for bragging rights on some list.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:37 AM   #24
MacVista
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Plus the NFL is a not for profit group - if you can somehow wrap your head around that
Easy: "Not for paying taxes" group.
MacVista is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevans View Post
These professional pundits always seem to think that the most important metric is revenue or market share or anything else but profit. As I understand, any company in business is only interested in working hard and well enough to MAKE A PROFIT. Apple is doing the best possible job of making a profit while also making great products and services. People love them like no other company on earth and still that isn't good enough for these pundits. Anything to bring down greatness.
Human nature, elevate somebody beyond reason and then rip them down to make yourself feel good.

Strange concept.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion