Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1
wingsky
macrumors member

iBook G4 won't load aqua

Hi All,

First post here, but excuse me jumping in at the deep end

I came home from work this morning and tried booting up my iBook. Everything went fine, the grey apple with the spinning wheel, followed by the blue screen and OS X logo and status bar saying "loading".

After this you usually get the obligatory default wallpaper followed by a login screen (in my case) however today it just hang at a blank, pale blue screen. It did this for about 40 seconds before going to the console, asking for a login.

I've tried entering it as root, followed by my password, and my short username, but both don't seem to work.

Do you guys have any idea what has caused this? Actually, I don't really care :P I'm just interested in getting my 'book working without losing the data on the HDD.

Apologies for any grammar/spelling mistakes, I'm just a little bit worried and in a rush

Thanks for your help, if you can!
wingsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Try booting from your OS X CD/DVD by holding down "C" when you restart. From there, try repairing your startup disk with Disk Utility.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:45 PM   #3
jacobj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsky
Hi All,

First post here, but excuse me jumping in at the deep end

I came home from work this morning and tried booting up my iBook. Everything went fine, the grey apple with the spinning wheel, followed by the blue screen and OS X logo and status bar saying "loading".

After this you usually get the obligatory default wallpaper followed by a login screen (in my case) however today it just hang at a blank, pale blue screen. It did this for about 40 seconds before going to the console, asking for a login.

I've tried entering it as root, followed by my password, and my short username, but both don't seem to work.

Do you guys have any idea what has caused this? Actually, I don't really care :P I'm just interested in getting my 'book working without losing the data on the HDD.

Apologies for any grammar/spelling mistakes, I'm just a little bit worried and in a rush

Thanks for your help, if you can!

The same thing happened to me last weekend. I couldn't even access the net to ask the question.

My way of fixing it was. I booted from an OSX CD (or DVD) installed OSX on my external drive, moved over all the stuff on my HD and then restored my laptop HD from my external.. it seemed to work...

is that an option?

Edit: I have been on these forums a bit since I ordered my MBP.. I usually just read and do not contribute.. I have noticed that several of the issues people have I have also had.. the funny thing is that I forgive my mac everything and seem to forget my troubles
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
wingsky
macrumors member

I've tried holding C, also CMD-SHIFT-C at startup but it keeps going to the loading OS X splash and to the blue screen. After that the blank blue screen, mouse pointer working, followed by that spinning wheel logo thing (the one you get while on the grey apple screen) and to the Darwin/BSD console logon screen.

Keyboard definitely works, the caps & numlock lights still light up when i press them.

I accidentaly put my iMac dvd in there, instead of the iBook, and I'm not sure how to get it out now

The things you do in a crisis, eh?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:59 PM   #5
wingsky
macrumors member

UPDATE:

While looking on the other pages of this forum for some help, a message came up on the console screen:

localhost mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 01808E00 lo0/4 ti 224.0.0.251:5353 skt 9 error -1 errno65 (No route to host) 4240137177

Sounds like my iBook is trying to connect to an IP, could this be part of the problem?

EDIT: I've managed to eject my iMac boot DVD through open firmware, and got into the setup menu using the iBook DVD. I ran disk utility and it said that the volume Bit Map needs reparing, which I am currently in the process of. Hopefully this will fix things. What could have caused this problem? Hard disk failure?

Last edited by wingsky; Jan 17, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 02:37 PM   #6
m-dogg
macrumors 65816

wingsky - any update on this? Were you able to fix it (without losing any data)? I ran into a similar problem last night but didn't have any other computer at home to help me research online.

Tonight I'm bringing home my work laptop to try and help me troubleshoot online while I try and fix it.
m-dogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs