Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 to Include Support for System Wide Third-Party Keyboards

Apple today announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference that iOS 8 will support system wide third-party keyboards.

The company showed something that appeared to resemble the popular-gesture based keyboard Swype running on iOS 8, as software chief Craig Federighi noted that keyboards have the most restrictive sandbox to ensure user privacy and safety.

To this point, third-party keyboards such as SwiftKey Note and Flesky have launched for iOS, although their integration has been limited to note-taking in a separate app and allowing app developers to incorporate their keyboard, respectively. With this announcement, it is likely that both keyboards will launch for iOS with full integration at some point in the future.

Support for third-party keyboards will be included with iOS 8, with the new mobile operating system expected to launch this fall.

Article Link: iOS 8 to Include Support for System Wide Third-Party Keyboards
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

In my best Mr. Burns voice "Excellent! ".
ChrisTX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:49 PM   #3
F123D
macrumors 68040

About time!
F123D is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
bushido
macrumors 601

i wonder how that will work thought. devs can offer a keyboard in the appstore and it somehow gets deeper access into ios to make it work anywhere? or will apple pick some keyboard by devs and allow them as an option built into ios8
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:58 PM   #5
kwokaaron
macrumors regular

Never saw this coming!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:59 PM   #6
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

It is an extension, looks like they will be available via the AppStore.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:02 PM   #7
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i wonder how that will work thought. devs can offer a keyboard in the appstore and it somehow gets deeper access into ios to make it work anywhere? or will apple pick some keyboard by devs and allow them as an option built into ios8
It uses the extension APIs to replace the default UI while remaining sandboxed without network connectivity (unless the user allows it). They will probably be offered in the App Store.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #8
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Come on! Extensions is MASSIVE - interaction between apps is here! This is SO much more than just third party keyboards!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Loyalty4Life
macrumors regular

Simply awesome.
Loyalty4Life is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'd imagine it would have serious limitations with regards to data storing and uploading (if even possible).

There's one thing for certain, we are definitely going to need some more App Store categories.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Z8beema
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple today announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference that iOS 8 will support system wide third-party keyboards.

The company showed something that appeared to resemble the popular-gesture based keyboard Swype running on iOS 8, as software chief Craig Federighi noted that keyboards have the most restrictive sandbox to ensure user privacy and safety.

To this point, third-party keyboards such as SwiftKey Note and Flesky have launched for iOS, although their integration has been limited to note-taking in a separate app and allowing app developers to incorporate their keyboard, respectively. With this announcement, it is likely that both keyboards will launch for iOS with full integration at some point in the future.

Support for third-party keyboards will be included with iOS 8, with the new mobile operating system expected to launch this fall.

Article Link: iOS 8 to Include Support for System Wide Third-Party Keyboards
This along with connectivity are by far my two favorite parts of everything that happened today
Z8beema is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:06 PM   #12
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
It uses the extension APIs to replace the default UI while remaining sandboxed without network connectivity (unless the user allows it). They will probably be offered in the App Store.
wonder why they dont allow the same extension API to let dev put "widgets" in the notification center
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:13 PM   #13
CrzyP
macrumors member

This is welcome news! Two things I miss from Android. Bigger screens and swipe keyboards! Looks like I'll have both this fall. I'm happy
CrzyP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:22 PM   #14
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

This is fantastic news!
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:23 PM   #15
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to see an Astrophotography keyboard (and mode). Makes nighttime use so much easier. In general I don't need anything but the default but it is nice to have the option.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:23 PM   #16
carjakester
macrumors 68000

Many of my reasons for jailbreaking were dismissed by apple today, if i can get a nice black keyboard, bloard isnt needed.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Snowy_River
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
Quote:
wonder why they dont allow the same extension API to let dev put "widgets" in the notification center
Uh... They do...
Snowy_River is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:28 PM   #18
nooaah
macrumors 65816

Bye jailbreak
nooaah is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:28 PM   #19
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

Swype is coming!

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:30 PM   #20
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

The first third party keyboard I want, is one that actually changes the letter case on the keys depending on shift mode... just like every other software keyboard on the planet.

It's always been insane that, especially after mocking physical keyboards, Apple's own soft keyboard acts like a physical one by staying in uppercase.

(Plus I've lately had to explain to new iPad users why they're not typing what they think. Especially when iOS goes into auto-uppercase at the beginning of a sentence. That's can be very confusing to new iOS users, because while it's nice when you get used to it, it's unexpected, and they try to hit Shift which actually puts in back into lowercase mode.)
kdarling is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:37 PM   #21
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
The first third party keyboard I want, is one that actually changes the letter case on the keys depending on shift mode... just like every other software keyboard on the planet.

It's always been insane that, especially after mocking physical keyboards, Apple's own soft keyboard acts like a physical one by staying in uppercase.

(Plus I've lately had to explain to new iPad users why they're not typing what they think. Especially when iOS goes into auto-uppercase at the beginning of a sentence. That's can be very confusing to new iOS users, because while it's nice when you get used to it, it's unexpected, and they try to hit Shift which actually puts in back into lowercase mode.)
The worst is when you leave on autocapitalize and you intend to type a key which normally requires you press the shift key (?) but instead it presses the non-shifted variety (.)... so instead you have to press it twice...except not too quickly or it turns into caps lock and still doesn't type the character you wanted.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:44 PM   #22
mrjr101
macrumors member

So to throw Android out of the water in regards to keyboards and to avoid future litigations Apple added QuickType as a new feauture and let developers have at it with Android about infringing on the Swype feature. Hahaha I love Apple.
mrjr101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:47 PM   #23
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy_River View Post
Uh... They do...
oh they do? thats awesome ... i had to secretly watch it earlier so i missed some of it
Old Jun 2, 2014, 03:00 PM   #24
Sirious
macrumors 6502

This is great. I can't wait to love my phone more than I already do.
Sirious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 03:21 PM   #25
ggibson913
macrumors regular

Yes but the difference is google likely won't sure apple over swype.
ggibson913 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion