Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm a fan.

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen I can see myself going back from the Nexus 4 simply cause iOS 8 seems to remedy problems I had with it(not all of course) and I have paid for a lot of apps on the App store so I would rather not lose them.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm a fan.

If the next iPhone has a bigger screen I can see myself going back from the Nexus 4 simply cause iOS 8 seems to remedy problems I had with it(not all of course) and I have paid for a lot of apps on the App store so I would rather not lose them.

I like what I saw on the software side ALOT. I was expecting a bunch of crappy services I would never use like passbook.

Instead Apple showed me a slew of real functionality improving features.

I am very attached to my S5 though. The Apple hardware would have to be really compelling and my S5 does a few things I want to keep, so Apple still has a bit to prove.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I thought it looked great.

I still need a bigger screen though. Sometimes I use my wife's phone and that keyboard is so small for these meat hooks.

I have a Note 3 right now so just a notch down would be perfect.

I am either getting the next iPhone or whatever flagship WP that comes out for ATT is at this point.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

I still need a bigger screen though. Sometimes I use my wife's phone and that keyboard is so small for these meat hooks.

I am either getting the next iPhone or whatever flagship WP that comes out for ATT is at this point.

I feel ya. The bigger screen now will be the icing on the cake.

----------

I like what I saw on the software side ALOT. I was expecting a bunch of crappy services I would never use like passbook.

Instead Apple showed me a slew of real functionality improving features.

I am very attached to my S5 though. The Apple hardware would have to be really compelling and my S5 does a few things I want to keep, so Apple still has a bit to prove.

I'm just happy with the third party keyboards. Can't wait to see if Google will provide their keyboard because I would PAY for that.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
A couple features I've wanted like quick reply to text messages & third party keyboards but still missing to many features for me to switch back. Maybe iOS 10..

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
"We're delighted Apple has decided to embrace the importance of opening its platform to third party keyboards. For more than four years, SwiftKey has pioneered faster, easier typing on touchscreens, leading the industry with next-word prediction and smarter autocorrection. Our technology features on more than 200 million devices to date and we can't wait to reach more. We first brought a taste of our technology to iOS in January this year with the launch of the free note-taking app SwiftKey Note. Are we going to build SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS8? Of course we are. We've already started."

From Swiftkey.

:D

----------

A couple features I've wanted like quick reply to text messages & third party keyboards but still missing to many features for me to switch back. Maybe iOS 10..

Fair enough. I may just have different need from you and Apple seemed to have closed the gap for.me.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a fan.

It will have a bigger screen and looks like iOS 8 just copied some things from 3-4 years ago from Android but it still is lacking. They copied Health from Samsung, lol....ironic.

The third party keyboard allowance is way overdue, the sharing is lame....its only for a family on iTunes that your Dad or whoever is the main guy will pay for. That will go over well.

Multitasking still isnt addressed.

Its a step in the right direction but lets face it, they will always be playing catchup with only a yearly release.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's good but I expected it to be.. Will if make ms return to Apple? Certainly not based on software.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Although I was disappointed with no new hardware announcements I must say I was fairly impressed with the polish they are putting on iOS. I'm tempted to consider an iphone again, but man I wish I could get one with a stylus, I find the stylus such a useful tool for every day use.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
As I'm already using an iPhone for my daily driver and quite happy with it, even with its limitations, I'm very happy with many of the new functionality introduced with iOS. As a predominantly Apple-centric household, I'm really excited about the OS X - iOS sharing functionality, as well as the prospects of better sharing between apps.

It's still go a ways to go but great amount of progress made today.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
It will have a bigger screen and looks like iOS 8 just copied some things from 3-4 years ago from Android but it still is lacking. They copied Health from Samsung, lol....ironic.

The third party keyboard allowance is way overdue, the sharing is lame....its only for a family on iTunes that your Dad or whoever is the main guy will pay for. That will go over well.

Its a step in the right direction but lets face it, they will always be playing catchup with only a yearly release.
If iOS 8 was in development for a year how could they have copied the S health from the S5?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

That's where I am also. Samsung really pissed me off with their locked bootloader, it's impossible to root a Note 3 on KitKat. Android also pisses me off in little ways every day and at times I miss iOS, but the small screen on my 5s was just unusable. I'm holding out hope that a surface windows phone comes out with a stylus, or I may just have to accept no stylus and get an ip6.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
no thanks, looks even more stale than ios 7. I thought it would at least have multi window.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If iOS 8 was in development for a year how could they have copied the S health from the S5?

S-Heath has been out longer than a year....then add in the time it was in development too.....

----------

no thanks, looks even more stale than ios 7. I thought it would at least have multi window.

yeah....I saw some good things......but not enough to bring me back. But as the phone junkie that I am....I will probably try a 5 inch iPhone. But some of the prompts in Yosemite...like when a call it coming in or a text is coming in on the iphone.....to be prompted all the time on my MBP would be annoying. I supposed that can be turned off.....

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
S-Heath has been out longer than a year....then add in the time it was in development too.....

----------

yeah....I saw some good things......but not enough to bring me back. But as the phone junkie that I am....I will probably try a 5 inch iPhone. But some of the prompts in Yosemite...like when a call it coming in or a text is coming in on the iphone.....to be prompted all the time on my MBP would be annoying. I supposed that can be turned off.....

At this point, im more interested in the direction the Windows phones are going than iOS. If they could speed those up faster than a yearly update (the OS) then they could make some great progress because Apple is just falling further behind with an annual update.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

How is the family sharing 'lame'? This has been a shortcoming of the Apple ecosystem for a long time and considering a great deal of Apple's customers are members of families ;), having some flexibility in this area is great. Up to now, if you wanted to share apps/purchases, all devices needed to be logged into a single Apple ID. Same problem with Photostream--if my wife and I don't use the same iCloud account, we cannot both use the Photostream from iPhoto on our Mac.

How is sharing implemented on other ecosystems and what makes it better? This is a serious question because I'm not aware of an option like this in Android or Windows Phone. Same goes for sharing through any third party apps that I've used (Dropbox, Flickr, Picasa/Google+ or whatever their photo repository is now called, etc).

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
They have definitely moved in the right direction.

I do find it very rich that a company that prides it's protecting it's "innovations" and suing everyone and their dog is copying so much from Google/Samsung.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How is the family sharing 'lame'? This has been a shortcoming of the Apple ecosystem for a long time and considering a great deal of Apple's customers are members of families ;), having some flexibility in this area is great. Up to now, if you wanted to share apps/purchases, all devices needed to be logged into a single Apple ID. Same problem with Photostream--if my wife and I don't use the same iCloud account, we cannot both use the Photostream from iPhoto on our Mac.

How is sharing implemented on other ecosystems and what makes it better? This is a serious question because I'm not aware of an option like this in Android or Windows Phone. Same goes for sharing through any third party apps that I've used (Dropbox, Flickr, Picasa/Google+ or whatever their photo repository is now called, etc).

Won't Dropbox do that for you? Will IOS let Dropbox sync all of your pictures to Dropbox....then sync it back down to every device that has the client installed? It is cross platform too.....

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm a fan.

As expected, Apple copied Android features into ios8. And that's a good thing. Now, waiting to see the size of the iPhone 6. If it is roughly the size of the Moto X, I'm going to be tempted to get one, especially if I don't see a Lumia 930 come to AT&T!

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I wasn't really interested in iOS 8 because I was planning on switching to an Android phone for a change, but I'll probably stick with the iPhone just because I can get my all my text messages, imessages, and calls on my computer now. That's so damn convenient.

One thing I wish iOS 8 had was default apps... I mean come on. I'm glad they're allowing 3rd party keyboards and becoming a little more open though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
S Health came out first and they had a variation of it in the GS4 with the fitness tracker. It just got improved in the GS5.

S-Heath has been out longer than a year....then add in the time it was in development too

And companies like Nike and FitBit were doing it well before Samsung and Apple. Why anyone cares who came out with what feature first is beyond me. Who care who did it first? I just want functionality that works. First very rarely means best in this industry.

What's the mantra in this subforum, 'why wouldn't anyone not want options?' People praise how an app like MightyText allows them to get their SMS on their computer when their phone isn't at hand or how an LED notification light on their phone is great to let them know they have notifications without having to turn on their phone yet Apple is getting criticized today for adding some options/functionality to their ecosystem. Pot, meeting kettle...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

If im reading it right, its almost the same thing. You all have to use a family iTunes account and the one with the name on it pays for everything. Its cool that you can share amongst the computers in the house but you still cant share everything like you can on Android. And i dont mean just apps and such. You can share nearly everything on Android.

Also what if you and your Wife get divorced for example....wont she lose all her apps and whatnot if you take her off your family account...depending on who has the account? Somebody is going to get screwed there, lol.

You can also sync everything on any computer using using Google Drive. I have it on my Nexus 5, my Windows Vista PC and my Yoga 11S Windows 8.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I wasn't really interested in iOS 8 because I was planning on switching to an Android phone for a change, but I'll probably stick with the iPhone just because I can get my all my text messages, imessages, and calls on my computer now. That's so damn convenient.

One thing I wish iOS 8 had was default apps... I mean come on. I'm glad they're allowing 3rd party keyboards and becoming a little more open though.

You can already. Airdroid.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Hmmm nothing really exciting, the cath up game goes on...
Apple is getting more and more a copycat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.