Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Tim Cook and other Apple executives gave us a fast-paced, broad-ranging look at some of the features we can expect with iOS 8, including improvements to Messages, keyboard enhancements in the form of QuickType and access to third-party keyboards, HealthKit, Extensibility, and more.

Along with the features that were demoed on stage, an iOS 8 graphic displayed some additional functions that went largely under the radar, many of which look quite interesting. For example, iOS 8 will apparently display battery usage by app, a handy feature that will let users monitor the battery drain of specific apps, shutting down those that are drawing too much power.

batteryusage.jpg
Image courtesy of Evan Coleman
iPads will gain the ability to take Panoramic photos like the iPhone, while the Camera will gain an instant burst mode, a timer mode, and separate controls for focus and exposure. iBooks will support an auto night mode and the ability to organize books by series, while notifications will include travel time.

A mysterious Tips app, which was first depicted in an early screenshot of iOS 8, is also mentioned, though it is unclear what this app will do. It is possible Tips will provide iOS users with information on lesser known iOS features, serving as a tutorial app for those who want to learn the ins and outs of their devices.

Click to make larger​
An "In Case of Emergency" card will be added to iOS 8, displaying contact information and possibly health-related information as well. Users will be able to use Siri to purchase iTunes content, Notes gains a new rich text editing feature, and RSS feeds are displayed within Shared Links in Safari.

Other mentioned features offering unknown functions include Place cards in other apps and Speak Screen.

Finally, there are also several accessibility improvements coming, including an Alex voice, Braille keyboard, improved zoom, and multi-device support for MFi hearing aids. Guided Access, which limits an iPad or iPhone to opening a single app, will gain time limits, a countdown timer, and Touch ID integration.

These are of course, only a small selection of the hundreds of new features and minor functions that will likely be added to iOS 8 as it is in development. iOS 8 is available to developers immediately, while the public will get access to the new mobile operating system later this year.

Article Link: iOS 8 to Include Battery Usage Per App and Much More

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Add Wifi-calling to the list! Been waiting for this since January as T-mobile is spotty in my area, even with a booster. Can't wait for iOS 8.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
That In Case of Emergency card will be very useful. I always hated not having an ICE contact in my phone. Mostly because if two contacts share a number, one of them usually appears. So I'd have my dad appearing as "ICE" every time he contacted me.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Battery usage per app on a phone should be pretty huge. Can finally track it down to being a problem with iOS verion x.0 and can see it go down in x.1 :eek:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Ice

I'd love the "In Case of Emergency" info to be available from the lock screen.

But even if it isn't, if I'm injured I probably still have at least one of my thumbs (I have both scanned), right?

Gary

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Along with the features that were demoed on stage, an iOS 8 graphic displayed some additional functions that went largely under the radar, many of which look quite interesting. For example, iOS 8 will apparently display battery usage by app, a handy feature that will let users monitor the battery drain of specific apps, shutting down those that are drawing too much power.

Battery usage by app sounds great. It should allow people to identify offending apps instead of blaming the battery.

I remember that a lot of needlessly chatty apps got fixed after being shamed by the "cellular data usage by app" feature in iOS 7.

:cool:

Kleber20

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2013
Full picture in the camera app!

Is the full picture screen feature available again in the call app? :( iOS 7.1 is bad :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Fully integrated browser RSS feeds are back! :)

(And some other stuff happened today probably.)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Add Wifi-calling to the list! Been waiting for this since January as T-mobile is spotty in my area, even with a booster. Can't wait for iOS 8.

Wi-Fi calling is not on the list anyways. Most people can't use it outside of T-Mobile and Sprint. HD voice/VoLTE is what the next step to improve coverage.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
I'd love the "In Case of Emergency" info to be available from the lock screen.

But even if it isn't, if I'm injured I probably still have at least one of my thumbs (I have both scanned), right?

Gary

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
I have had ICE contact in my phone since years, but now when i lock my phone, its more or less useless. Sure they can use my fingerprint, but it really should be usable from the lock screen, thats the whole point really.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Anything on Imessage/SMS auto reply??????????????????

i think i saw this briefly during the enterprise part but i am not sure if its a company dependent feature? didnt really understand that part

edit: nvm seems to be only for enterprise emails

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
These new features in iOS 8 are awesome! I like the QuickReply feature for texting. Hopefully the next keynotes will feature hardware from here on out.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Another Android feature checked off... Will Apple come up with anything original any time soon??

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I just want the ability to see the time if I'm on a phone call and my phone is locked (using a headset of course) without having to unlock the phone.

They need a cancel redial button too!!! If I'm on the phone...using a headset and the call drops...then the caller calls me back and I go to unlock my phone (during the conversation) to check the time....it automatically dials back the dropped call!! While I'm on the phone with that caller! That's so annoying. I'd like the screen to ASK me if I want to redial the caller. Or let me cancel the auto redial

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Wifi-calling? As a part of iOS 8? Isn't that really what Facetime-audio is? Unless you're talking about the wifi-calling of Yosemite which really only redirects the call from the phone to your mac by wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.