Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Hey guys!

I tried to copy a full OSX 10.10 installation from downloaded app to usb stick, but I couldn't!

I used createinstallmedia and I received the error: /Volumes/osx is not a valid volume mount point.

I'm sure this volume is mounted.

Anyone?

lorcharlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I'm having the same issue also. No matter what kind of USB drive I use, it still gives me an error. I'll try to see if I can use the InstallESD method.

kakemann

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
I've just finished downloading OsX 10.10, but the install.app won't open. I want to either make it open on my mac, or make a bootable usb stick so I can install from there. Any ideas? :)

I have a 2013 MBPr btw.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Same here. This is the command I tried:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app --nointeraction

I get: /Volumes/Untitled is not a valid volume mount point.

Even though it is.

kapela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I'm installing using the downloaded app, without a clear install :confused:

15 minutes to install

MPB 13" Retina Later 2013

kakemann

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Those of you who can not get the install.app to open, did you download from appstore or from another source?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Working on this as we speak, I'll post instructions for those that want/need it in just a few.

Powertoola

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
I little more complex than that but it didn't work anyway. So now I'm sitting with a blank MBA lol.

same here, luckily I have an iMac as well, otherwise i'd be pretty screwed...

----------

looks like its going to have to be a mavericks and then yosemite app store download, can't think of any other solutions

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
same here, luckily I have an iMac as well, otherwise i'd be pretty screwed...

----------

looks like its going to have to be a mavericks and then yosemite app store download, can't think of any other solutions

Yep, I've tried everything in my wheelhouse of knowledge and coming up short.

but I'm not giving up just yet :D

are you creating the USB from Yosemite or Mavericks ?

I know it shouldn't matter but you never know.
Trying from Yosemite here.

Powertoola

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Yep, I've tried everything in my wheelhouse of knowledge and coming up short.

but I'm not giving up just yet :D

are you creating the USB from Yosemite or Mavericks ?

I know it shouldn't matter but you never know.
Trying from Yosemite here.

Mavericks, I have tried Yosemite and nothing I do seems to work, I got as far as loading installation information, giving up on a clean install

aholeinthewor1d

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
yea I am wondering about this. I currently have the Yosemite.dmg but need to know how to get it to a bootable USB drive..so I can do a clean install on a new partition and not touch my mavericks one. anyone know how?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I posted this before in the other main thread.

It is not the same as for mavericks.

After downloading yosemite, if you run this in terminal you will get instructions for making a bootable USB:

/Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

This appears:

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert> --applicationpath <path to InstallAssistant.app> [--force]

Arguments--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.
--applicationpath, A path to copy of the OS installer application to create the bootable media from.
--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath "/Applications/InstallAssistant.app"

This tool must be run as root.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I posted this before in the other main thread:

It is not the same as for mavericks.

Agreed, that method DOES NOT WORK at the moment. I tried that and different variations and came up with nothing.
I'll keep digging tomorrow if I have time, I got my machine back up and running though it took a while.

I created a Yosemite boot Disk, it booted, I opened Disk Utility as I normally do and erase the SSD prior to installing a new OS.
Erase went fine.
Clicked to install OS X, it asked me to agree, yes, which drive to install to, this one.. ok it will be 13 minute.......error something something. restart and try again. NOOOOooooOOOoOoOoOO.

Created a Mavericks boot disk and holing option wouldn't bring the drive up so I had to go the internet recovery route which installed ML which I then upgraded to Yosemite. So I'm good for now.

I was trying to get from point A to point B but decided to go back and visit point W and the whole qrstuv crew before making my way back to B.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The fact that it has changed from the mavericks method does not surprise me that you couldn't get it working. But what perplexes me more is that after installing Yosemite, the recovery partition completly disappeared. The only thing bootable when starting up with the option key is the newly created installation of Yosemite.

We also have to remember that this is not a finished product yet.

The new instructions refer to InstallAssistant.app but I can't seem to find this app anywhere.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Can anyone zip up and upload just the installer portion? Without the InstallESD inside it. I think my MAS download corrupted and screwed it all up for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.