Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I need multiple displays connected to my MBA at work. I don't do video or graphics I just need 3 displays for spreadsheets. With the help of a Elgato thunderbolt hub or Caldigit hub. Is it possible to run 2 additional large monitors from a new MBA 13"? For example could the MBA run a Dell with disport connection and a second monitor using HDMI through a thunderbolt hub? If a MBA can't do it could a MBP? I'm looking for a way to get to big monitors plus the laptop screen without buying two $1000 apple thunderbolt displays and do it with the lightest smallest apple laptop possible. Thanks for the help.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I need multiple displays connected to my MBA at work. I don't do video or graphics I just need 3 displays for spreadsheets. With the help of a Elgato thunderbolt hub or Caldigit hub. Is it possible to run 2 additional large monitors from a new MBA 13"? For example could the MBA run a Dell with disport connection and a second monitor using HDMI through a thunderbolt hub? If a MBA can't do it could a MBP? I'm looking for a way to get to big monitors plus the laptop screen without buying two $1000 apple thunderbolt displays and do it with the lightest smallest apple laptop possible. Thanks for the help.

A new (Mid-2012 and later) MacBook Air can handle two external displays. However one of them would need to be a Thunderbolt Display, as mentioned in the Caldigit FAQ and Elgato Knowledge Base. Both of these (and presumably any other dock with HDMI) use the DisplayPort component of the Thunderbolt interface for their HDMI, and you can't have two DisplayPort or DisplayPort-adapted displays on one Thunderbolt port.

grahamj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
So the MBA can handle two displays, but one will have to be an Apple thunderbolt display and the 2nd can be display port/HDMI? Just want to make sure I have this right before I go buying all the equipment. Thanks for the help.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
So the MBA can handle two displays, but one will have to be an Apple thunderbolt display and the 2nd can be display port/HDMI? Just want to make sure I have this right

According to Apple, that is wrong…

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#20

Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort display to my Apple Thunderbolt Display for computers that support using more than one display?

Mini DisplayPort displays will not function if connected to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display. Displays connected via Mini DisplayPort video adapter or cable to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.