Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Judging by the new Photos app in Yosemite, iphoto is a dead man walking. It's the best way to further simplfy managing photos for the average iOS user. But I suppose you'd still need iphoto for making slide shows and books. But it's had a nice run.

Last edited:

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
They definitely did not refer to the new app as iPhoto, but am wondering if it will have the same function just an upgraded name

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm thinking that Aperture takes over for iPhoto. There's definitely no need for three photo apps, but definitely a need for something more advanced than Photos.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
They definitely did not refer to the new app as iPhoto, but am wondering if it will have the same function just an upgraded name
I wasn't sensing any changes in terms of basic functionality, although I'm concerned about the degree of integration with iCloud. I don't currently have iPhoto installed because I want to organise my raw/xmp/jpg files myself, but I've a horrible suspicion that photos.app is going to be a prerequisite for just about any transfer/sync of images between devices.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I only use iPhoto for my iDevices... Which it works well for that.

For RAW/DSLR work I use Lightroom. So am not too concerned.

egis

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
I wasn't sensing any changes in terms of basic functionality, although I'm concerned about the degree of integration with iCloud. I don't currently have iPhoto installed because I want to organise my raw/xmp/jpg files myself, but I've a horrible suspicion that photos.app is going to be a prerequisite for just about any transfer/sync of images between devices.

Apple is staking out its turf in the iphoneography market. They are not blind to the fact that courses are springing up like daisys to capture consumer use and hundreds of millions of iphones were sold last year. The stats from the point and shoot market and dslr market say that too. The trick for Apple will all be in rate of adoption of 10.10 and reaction to new iCloud pricing and how they want to include real camera users in this new paradigm. There will be room for us real camera users, because there are too many legacy mac/ios hardware users and the route for web sharing outside of icloud, photo books, and other tail end uses were not discussed, and there are way too many mac users who have cameras and video hdw to be just left hanging. Just because they did not include this category of user does not mean they will not be included going forward. Yes, all in all what was presented in the WWDC keynote was, while sketchy at best, most disruptive, but there is more to be defined by Apple about the full product offering. This story is not over...yet.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
iPhoto died (see: was removed from my MBP) the week after I installed Lightroom 4. Hasn't been missed either.

Not that I used it (was using Aperture prior to Lightroom), but watching it get worse after every update was getting painful.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
So if Photos replaces iPhoto (OK by me) does Apple add in "plugins" to Photos to give more advanced capability and create the new Aperture?

The photography story from Apple is anything but clear at the moment.

alltheolddudes

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
On its last gasp...

iPhoto v7.1.5 [part of iLife 08] was the last useful iteration of this software. I still use it everyday on my Snow Leopard MBP 15 to manage 15,000 photos. Works a treat - very snappy performance - and imports all the latest Nikon Raw nef files too. Aperture has never impressed me... which is I guess why they had to strip the functionality out of iPhoto.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So if Photos replaces iPhoto (OK by me) does Apple add in "plugins" to Photos to give more advanced capability and create the new Aperture?

The photography story from Apple is anything but clear at the moment.

Stop right there. You're completley missing the point of the Photos app for Mac. There will be no plug ins. It'll simply be a timeline/Shared iCloud/albums view with some basic editing features. This is iPhoto dumbed down. Way down.

I''m still curious on what they will do with iPhoto. Of course, being Apple, they leave us photographers hanging. This is the reason I push Adobe to people. Apple is simply to vague or won't say anything. Something as simple as iPhoto development will continue or Aperture will be out this fall, but we can't even get that. At least with Adobe, I know exactly where they stand at all times and I can make decisions accordingly.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
Stop right there. You're completley missing the point of the Photos app for Mac. There will be no plug ins. It'll simply be a timeline/Shared iCloud/albums view with some basic editing features. This is iPhoto dumbed down. Way down.

I''m still curious on what they will do with iPhoto. Of course, being Apple, they leave us photographers hanging. This is the reason I push Adobe to people. Apple is simply to vague or won't say anything. Something as simple as iPhoto development will continue or Aperture will be out this fall, but we can't even get that. At least with Adobe, I know exactly where they stand at all times and I can make decisions accordingly.

How do you know there will be no plugins? :confused: Craig showed how it would work with third-party plugins on iOS. It would have been great if he could have done the same on the Mac. There are discussions going around that Apple may have an API for plugins to edit non-destructively. What he demoed wasn't iPhoto dumbed down but cloud-hosted photos in a new interface that won't be ready for 6 months at best.

Basically, it seems that both Aperture and iPhoto are dead, and Photos will be something new, cloud-hosted. If it uses Apple's excellent DAM and provides the option to use plugins non-destructively, it will be very interesting.

We know you're firmly in the Lightroom camp but none of us know for sure what Photos may bring. At least now, we know that sometime early next year, we'll definitely know whether professional photography at Apple is dead or not.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't think iPhoto is dead, but I have always felt it was quite slow and bloated for what most people want to use it for - quickly viewing, managing and sharing their photos on a PC. Maybe we will see it gain more functionality, now that it has been decoupled from being a mere "photo viewer".

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Honestly, i think Apple realised this and went back to the drawing board...

iBloat was just getting bigger and slower with more issues created than solved. They had the chance to start again now with 10.10, it was a no brainer....and I'm glad they are doing it.

Taking the i away represents a new beginning.

The question is now, Aperture 4 later this year or Lightroom 5 now...

hm.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Extensibility will allow programmers to write apps that can access and be accessed by Photos. We used to call them plug-ins, but they avoided the term.

All of the automated sliders demoed for editing had drop down levels of control that looked like they were manually adjustable. The Secret Word I wanted to hear (but didn't) was RAW support.

Dale

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

Personally I would not care if iPhoto disappears. No need. I have LR and Aperture.

I guess we have to wait for the fall launch of Yosemite and 8 to get a complete story of how consumer and pro photography are to work in the new ecosystem.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I suspect your are right. They are building software for the masses and pretty much will ignore the few percent who still use something other than a cell phone to take pictures.

What I need is a good DAM that handles all media types. I want stills, video and audio in ONE library that I can search and I want that library to be DISTRIBUTED across several storage devices and computers and I want it to be MULTIUSER.

I doubt Apple will do this. Who will?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Personally I would not care if iPhoto disappears. No need. I have LR and Aperture.

I guess we have to wait for the fall launch of Yosemite and 8 to get a complete story of how consumer and pro photography are to work in the new ecosystem.

Photos for Mac won't be out until 2015, not at Yosemite launch. FYI.

Last edited:

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2010
Extensibility will allow programmers to write apps that can access and be accessed by Photos. We used to call them plug-ins, but they avoided the term.

All of the automated sliders demoed for editing had drop down levels of control that looked like they were manually adjustable. The Secret Word I wanted to hear (but didn't) was RAW support.

Dale

I'm pretty sure Raw will be accepted.
From MacRumors transcript: "11:20 am All photos and videos, original format and resolution.".
I understand original format as meaning all the Raw formats supported by iPhoto/Aperture.

I also agree about the drop down levels of control. The one thing I didn't see was brushes, but if they offer pro features, they'll include some level of selective retouching.

----------

Just some sessions at WWDC this year:

- Photos Framework Lab

Learn how your apps can manage the Photo library and get details about writing photo editing extensions from the Apple engineers. Bring your code and your questions.

- Advances in Core Image

Core Image lets you create amazing effects in your camera and image editing apps. Learn about the advances in Core Image for iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. Get introduced to writing custom image processing filters for iOS and see how they can be used in Photos extensions. Walk through the enhancements for working with large images, and get details about the newest filters and detectors.

As I've said before, I think it would be wise for those on the fence to wait and see what Apple comes up with...

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It would make sense that Apple is working on a brand new Photos framework that will be the basis of Photos and Aperture X, just like the new iMovie and FCP X, which also share common code between the Mac and iOS versions.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I guess we'll never know really. Google still has Picasa even though it's obvious they are pushing people towards Google+ Photos (strange name). They've even integrated Snapseed into G+ so am I suppose to delete Snapseed now?
I wish Google would just kill it and break out G+ Photos into a separate app.

All these devs trying to do photos is confusing. Exactly why I stick with my folder based system.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
::snip::
Basically, it seems that both Aperture and iPhoto are dead, and Photos will be something new, cloud-hosted. If it uses Apple's excellent DAM and provides the option to use plugins non-destructively, it will be very interesting. ::snip::

I'm not sure why Aperture would be dead - both Aperture and iPhoto currently integrate with iCloud, no reason to think the dualism of local/cloud storage couldn't continue. My theory is that iPhoto users will be migrated to Aperture. There are other possibilities.

But if we were to extend the iPhoto/Aperture is dead logic to the rest of Apple's software offerings... who really needs Pages, isn't TextEdit enough? Who needs FCP, isn't iMovie enough? Would closed-systems Apple ditch its "serious" apps and let platform-independent Microsoft, Adobe, and Google pick up the crumbs? Hardly.

Every time something happens on the consumer side (is it "dumbing-down," or "user friendliness?"), pros and serious amateurs consider it a sign that Apple is abandoning the pros. For the most part, that hasn't been the way it's worked. The last "abandonment" I can recall is pro server hardware, and that was quite a few years ago. We still have the traditional line-up of pro applications, we have a brand-new Mac Pro design, MacBook Pro...

Apple has more than one constituency, and it's true that the numbers skew heavily in favor of the masses. Sure, if something had to go, it'd be the smaller niches. The question is whether anything has to go, especially when Apple is as profitable as it is. As long as there's a reasonable justification (trickle-down of high-end R&D, maintaining a pool of "key influencers," etc.), it fits into the profitability equation.

There are few better endorsements than, "This is what the pros use." You can see it in all of Apple's ads - pros doing really cool things alongside amateurs doing stuff that's nearly as cool. Pro usage is "aspirational" for the masses. Canon and Nikon have been using this approach for decades. Still, both Canon and Nikon make their real money on p&s and "serious amateur" gear. Do we worry that the latest Canon p&s is a harbinger of doom?

All Apple is doing is adding a new bottom rung to its ladder. They have no need to remove the top rung of the ladder to make that happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.