Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hi there,

I need to open an application in a specific language, one that is different from the one my OS is set in.

• Manually going to the preferences and changing the language back and forth is not an option, as I might be opening and closing this language multiple times, very frequently.
  • It's not an Apple application so I'm not sure of the 'defaults write' method via terminal (as I don't know what the language preference would be named).

Has anyone accomplished this or know how to accomplish this?

P.S. I'm running Mavericks.

Cheers

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi there,

I need to open an application in a specific language, one that is different from the one my OS is set in.

• Manually going to the preferences and changing the language back and forth is not an option, as I might be opening and closing this language multiple times, very frequently.
  • It's not an Apple application so I'm not sure of the 'defaults write' method via terminal (as I don't know what the language preference would be named).

Has anyone accomplished this or know how to accomplish this?

P.S. I'm running Mavericks.

Cheers

I wrote an OSX application with localization for half a dozen languages. I've never tried switching languages in my app other than switching the entire OS. I would think a terminal command containing "defaults write" is just a terminal workaround for doing the same thing changing the Language setting in System Preferences. I have noticed that if I switch language, it only affects apps I launch after making the change. Then I can switch it back when I'm done.

I googled for this and found some help here. So apparently there are ways of doing this outside of System Preferences. I'll use one of these methods the next time I need to test my own app. Thanks for bringing this up!

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
Automator

How about writing an AppleScript or automater script/application that changes the language in the system prefs, launches the app and resets the language in system prefs?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I wrote an OSX application with localization for half a dozen languages. I've never tried switching languages in my app other than switching the entire OS. I would think a terminal command containing "defaults write" is just a terminal workaround for doing the same thing changing the Language setting in System Preferences. I have noticed that if I switch language, it only affects apps I launch after making the change. Then I can switch it back when I'm done.

I googled for this and found some help here. So apparently there are ways of doing this outside of System Preferences. I'll use one of these methods the next time I need to test my own app. Thanks for bringing this up!

Thanks for the info. I was aware of 3rd party applications to do the trick but I'd prefer not to use 3rd party applications if I don't absolutely have to.

How about writing an AppleScript or automater script/application that changes the language in the system prefs, launches the app and resets the language in system prefs?

This is actually a good 'hack'. I wonder if there would be any implications with this, however (of changing the system language back and forth multiple times, possibly frequently).

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thanks for the info. I was aware of 3rd party applications to do the trick but I'd prefer not to use 3rd party applications if I don't absolutely have to.

This is actually a good 'hack'. I wonder if there would be any implications with this, however (of changing the system language back and forth multiple times, possibly frequently).

Having done it countless time in the testing of my app, I would say there are no implications involved. As for avoiding third party apps, not so fast. Many of them are simply nicely packaged Applescripts. If you're nervous, install only from the app store or if you're not quite as nervous install only from registered developers. My app falls in the latter category and can run with "allow apps from registered developers" in System Preferences.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
When I was testing localizations, I made a new user and changed its language preference. Then I'd quick-switch to that user, et voilá.

This has the side-effect of maintaining a completely separate set of preferences for that user. For me at the time, that was an advantage. It may be a disadvantage for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.