Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beatsbydre-250x311.jpg
Last week, Apple confirmed its plans to acquire Beats Electronics and Beats Music in a $3 billion deal that would bring a successful headphone business and a fledgling streaming music service under Apple's umbrella. While many have pointed to Jimmy Iovine as the acquisition target, Apple may also be using the deal to boost its "coolness" factor among younger users, as suggested in a survey by education technology company Chegg (via Re/code).

Chegg asked 10,000 students about their experience with Beats and their knowledge of the Apple-Beats merger. While most of the students surveyed were familiar with the Beats brand, only 15 percent had purchased Beats products and a mere three percent had subscribed to the Beats Music service. More than half of the students (60 percent) were aware of the deal with one quarter claiming the deal will make Apple more "cool" and fifty percent believing the acquisition will increase Apple's popularity among students.
This is largely good, albeit unsurprising, news for Apple, which has long dominated the college market. In most college lecture halls across the country, you'll see rows and rows of MacBooks -- many of which were purchased using Apple's educational discount or in Apple-affiliated campus stores. Still, more and more young people are streaming music using services other than iTunes. Spotify has more than 40 million subscribers, and 40 percent of its American users are between the ages of 18-24.
Beats is often criticized as being a bass-heavy fashion accessory and not a true audiophile product, but sales figures reveal that the typically younger consumers who buy Beats are more interested in appearance than audio quality. According to marketing research company NPD, Beats accounts for 27 percent of the $1.8 billion headphone market and more than half (57 percent) of the premium market for headphones with a starting price tag of $100 or more.

Article Link: Beats Acquisition Boosting Apple's 'Coolness' Factor Among Young Consumers

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
More than half of the students (60 percent) were aware of the deal with one quarter claiming the deal will make Apple more "cool" and fifty percent believing the acquisition will increase Apple's popularity among students.

Must have been high-school students!

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I think this says all you need to know about Apple's space in the marketplace these days.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
fashion statement is more important than quality, this is sometimes true with teenagers who uses iphone or mac because its cool. the difference is apple products is superior then any out there :p

Gob Bluth

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
If Apple just changed their name to Beats altogether, their coolness factor would be off the charts!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
You mean, "naive" consumers.

To each his own, I would never buy beats but I can't deny their success.

The article does bring a good point, people spend most on music purchases / subscription when they are in their teens to twenties, so if Beats is doing well with that age group, why not?

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
For all the people are rolling their eyes at this, it's actually important... When BB was king, every teenager wanted one because they all used BBM. Regardless of how stupid or irrelevant people think Beats is, if the 'cool' factor sticks you can bet that'll translate to teenagers whining to their parents about wanting a new iPhone which will equal sales.

And severs the loyalty factor on regular Apple fans.

The iPod and iPhone are already cool, we don't need to impress 12 year old ex-Blackberry users.

If someone refuses to buy Apple just because they bought Beats then they weren't very loyal to begin with.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
To each his own, I would never buy beats (I have Bose) but I can't deny their success.

The article does bring a good point, people spend most on music purchases / subscription when they are in their teens to twenties, so if Beats is #1 with that category, why not?

Funny thing is, a lot of people who I speak to (and my own personal experience) is that Bose is exactly like Beats in the audio world - overpriced and purchased by name, not actual quality.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I just ordered some AKG's.

I’m after some Sennheiser Momentums.
When I buy, I tend to make a shortlist with my eyes first and see if I can find something on it that meets my specs.
I saw the Momentums and knew that if they sounded good they were mine.

I don’t like the look of a single pair of Beats that I’ve seen but I won’t slate others for their purchases.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Looking at the responses on this, and other Beats threads, it might be easy to see why Apple bought Beats.

It seems the typical Macrumors poster / Mac user really isn't a Beats user/fan. And Apple always wants new users.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apple needed Beats to boost coolness?

moo. cattle.

Let's see Apple makes iPhones, iPads and MacBooks that you see just about everywhere, including in the hands on many many young people. Great design. Stylish. And stuff that works, fairly well at least.

And Beats makes headphones that look somewhat cool and according to every review I have read underperform for the price point. Look up headphone reviews and you can get better equipment for the same price, or the same or better performance for less in other brands. Beats are not know for superior audio quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.