Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 Introduces Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Playback, Easy iOS to Mac Screen Capture

iOS 8 introduces a new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature that will allow iOS devices to stream content to the Apple TV without the need for a shared network connection. Currently, an iOS device must be on the same WiFi network as an Apple TV, which can make it a hassle to use AirPlay when away from home.

The new feature is described on Apple's iOS 8 enterprise preview page, as delinking AirPlay from WiFi will make it far easier for people to use AirPlay in classrooms and businesses that may have complicated networks.
Quote:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization's network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you're offline or the organization has a complex network.
With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.

Apple's new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature and the iOS 8/Yosemite video capturing capabilities will be available to the public this fall, following the official launch of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: iOS 8 Introduces Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Playback, Easy iOS to Mac Screen Capture
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
leesmith2
macrumors member

This is a big deal for business customers.
leesmith2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:59 PM   #3
landroverz7
macrumors newbie

Nice, now hurry up Apple and release Apple TV 4 with built in 16GB storage, App store, A8 chip, 802.11ac, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0 port and mkv/avi support. Yes I am dreaming haha
landroverz7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:12 PM   #4
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

AirPlay is one of the most underrated features of iOS. This update makes it even better.
saintforlife is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:14 PM   #5
MacSlut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverz7 View Post
Nice, now hurry up Apple and release Apple TV 4 with built in 16GB storage, App store, A8 chip, 802.11ac, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0 port and mkv/avi support. Yes I am dreaming haha
Apple will never directly support mkv, but hopefully with an app store, that would be filled by 3rd parties.

I was so sad to see no Apple TV announcement at WWDC 2014. I don't see them announcing any 3rd party developer support for the Apple TV unless it's at WWDC, so we've got at least another year to go.

It's so sad after seeing what Amazon has done with the Fire TV.
MacSlut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:16 PM   #6
wikiverse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
AirPlay is one of the most underrated features of iOS. This update makes it even better.
When it works, it's awesome.

Apple need to improve airplay stability if they want more business use.
wikiverse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:19 PM   #7
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

This could be really great for schools that have one-to-one programs for the students or the option for teachers to use iOS devices in the classroom or lecture hall.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:22 PM   #8
cariacou
macrumors regular

... So anyone walking by my house could stream Rebecca Black to my Apple TV ?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:30 PM   #9
timborama
macrumors member

What about peer to peer iOS (iPod to iPad AirPlay streaming)?
timborama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The new feature is described on Apple's iOS 8 enterprise preview page, as delinking AirPlay from WiFi will make it far easier for people to use AirPlay in classrooms and businesses that may have complicated networks.With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.
And with that, my daughter will start posting twice as many "Watch me play" Minecraft videos... (If she had a way to record from the Xbox 360, it would triple.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:49 PM   #11
sik08amg
macrumors regular

So correct me if I'm wrong but can I stream to my tv/atv with no networks even available? If so this is huge for me at work.
sik08amg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik08amg View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong but can I stream to my tv/atv with no networks even available? If so this is huge for me at work.
This is what I'm hoping. But there was a very similar feature a month ago (which didn't actually do that) so I'm not holding my breath.. I want it so I can bring my Apple TV to locations with no wifi and airplay netflix from my unlimited iPhone data plan... This would have come in handy just a few weeks ago... But no, my iPhone can't even feaking use the remote app without being on the same network...
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:57 PM   #13
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
Agreed, i always look out for updates that bump its usefullness, but mostly goes untouched. Some relief here.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What on earth would you do with 16 GB of storage? Store like 3 movies?...

Quote:
mkv/avi support
I can barely get mkv to work in VLC without crashing... On the other hand, iFlicks 2 can convert ~30mins 1080p mkv to m4p in about 2 minutes on a Mac Mini (apparently they frequently already use h264 anyways, so it needs little work), the upshot is that it now works in iTunes/ATV and doesn't crash VLC anymore.

Avi is another whole 'nother can of worms...
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:20 PM   #15
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Interesting.. previously did all traffic go through the Wifi router? If so, then the new approach might help reduce the latency in Airplay mirroring for gaming. Would be good to find out.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:31 PM   #16
grblade
macrumors newbie

My hunch is that this is to reduce lag when gaming with Airplay and has something to do with the game controller announcement.
grblade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:39 PM   #17
carjakester
macrumors 68020

Is it done through bluetooth or what..
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:39 PM   #18
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariacou View Post
... So anyone walking by my house could stream Rebecca Black to my Apple TV ?
Only on Fridays.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:15 AM   #19
daye
macrumors newbie

anyone tried to capture video from an IOS device ?

=================================================
With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.
================================================

I have OS X Yosemite and IOS 8 on phone 4S. when I connect the iPhone 4S to the MAC, it automatically launch Image Capture and get message " No Camera or scanner detected"
daye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 01:23 AM   #20
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiverse View Post
When it works, it's awesome.

Apple need to improve airplay stability if they want more business use.
never had any problems so far... even my diskstation airplays videos to it without problems, even if its not an apple device.
Nozuka is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 01:45 AM   #21
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daye View Post
I have OS X Yosemite and IOS 8 on phone 4S. when I connect the iPhone 4S to the MAC, it automatically launch Image Capture and get message " No Camera or scanner detected"
Probably needs a newer phone than the 4S. (Just a guess, I don't have iOS 8, so I can't test.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjakester View Post
Is it done through bluetooth or what..
No, it uses WiFi - it just makes a direct device-to-device WiFi connection. It likely uses Bluetooth "iBeacons" to discover each other, though.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:15 AM   #22
acuriouslad
macrumors regular

Yosemite too?

Will macs running Yosemite be able to screen share directly too? I presume this would solve a lot of stuttering issues. It would also make it quick and easy for presentations and possibly even make video via airplay screen sharing possible.
256GB SSD
acuriouslad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:48 AM   #23
Sol
macrumors 65832

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
I hope that direct device to Apple TV connections will mean less lag, so that Apple TV gaming can become viable.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:50 AM   #24
Giro413
macrumors newbie

Airplay for Spotify and browsers, please

At the moment I am using Airfoil to stream from Spotify, Youtube, and any other program on my Mac that I want to listen to sound from.
Why don't Apple allow for Airplay streaming from anything else than iTunes? Now that they are changing how Airplay works, why not give us what we really need
Giro413 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:52 AM   #25
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65832

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
AVI is an old and outdated container which no one should use these days. MKV would be nice though.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion