Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Razer Unveils 'Junglecat' Gaming Controller with Slide-Out Design, Companion App

Razer has unveiled its Junglecat iOS gaming controller for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, bringing a number of hardware features that attempt to make games easier and more natural to play on a mobile device.

The accessory features a slide-out unibody design that contains a Lightning connected upper enclosure for the iPhone, and boasts console-style controls such as a D-Pad, ABXY face buttons, and shoulder bumpers. The Junglecat includes open access to the iPhone's hardware features including the sleep/wake button, volume buttons, home button, headphone jack, and front/rear cameras.

Razer is also shipping a companion app with the Junglecat, allowing users to remap face buttons and adjust sensitivity on the controller. The app will also include a list of games optimized for controller play, as the app's interface displays both purchased apps and featured games.

It is unknown if Razer's Junglecat is a more final version of the company's "Kazuyo" controller that was leaked earlier this year, however the latter featured a slim hard-shell case design and was rumored to come with full-sized analog sticks. A previous report also indicated that Razer would be shipping a companion app for the Kazuyo as well, perhaps indicating that the company chose a different design for its first iOS controller.

The Razer Junglecat joins a growing market of iOS game controllers, which includes the SteelSeries Stratus, Logitech PowerShell, MOGA Ace Power and Mad Catz's C.T.R.L.i controller. While all current controllers have attempted to impress consumers with unique designs and buttons, it has been reported that Apple's strict guidelines have hampered product quality.

Currently, an increasing number of games are offering iOS 7 controller support, including titles like 2K Drive, Dead Trigger 2, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The number of iOS games supporting controllers is expected to grow as more accessories become available to consumers.

Razer's Junglecat controller will be available in white and black for $99 when it ships this summer.

Article Link: Razer Unveils 'Junglecat' Gaming Controller with Slide-Out Design, Companion App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Gooberton
macrumors regular

Why release this now when everyone is waiting for iphone 6? Couldn't be worse timing of a mediocre product
Gooberton is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:50 AM   #3
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 65816

Someone just release a controller that is wireless. You know, so we don't have to buy new ones every time we buy a new iDevice...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:51 AM   #4
gjvon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberton View Post
Why release this now when everyone is waiting for iphone 6? Couldn't be worse timing of a mediocre product
Mediocre???
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:52 AM   #5
nerdAFK
macrumors member

And it will be obsolete within 3 months
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:54 AM   #6
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Nope. I want Dualshock 4 to connect via bluetooth...
mdridwan47 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601

Worse product name ever.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 02:55 AM   #8
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

I came here to make a couple of points - only to find the first two comments covered them completely.
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:52 AM   #9
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

They forgot to add analog sticks. Fail
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:52 AM   #10
regkilla
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
Nope. I want Dualshock 4 to connect via bluetooth...
You can with Controllers for All.
regkilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:59 AM   #11
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAppleGuy View Post
Someone just release a controller that is wireless. You know, so we don't have to buy new ones every time we buy a new iDevice...
Then you're dealing with batteries and will likely never be certified

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvon View Post
Mediocre???
I haven't tried this but razor makes some of the crappiest overpriced stuff you can find in the PC world
Iconoclysm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:19 AM   #12
Hurda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
I haven't tried this but razor makes some of the crappiest overpriced stuff you can find in the PC world
So they're the "Beats" of input devices?
Hurda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:30 AM   #13
iMacBooked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to iMacBooked Send a message via AIM to iMacBooked Send a message via MSN to iMacBooked Send a message via Yahoo to iMacBooked Send a message via Skype™ to iMacBooked
Lmao, Junglecat! Can't wait till they release the Hyena or the Lynx... Or perhaps the Tarzan for iOS?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:23 AM   #14
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's a plastic case with computer hardware inside. The hardware is already designed, and it should be very easy to re-mold new forms of plastic.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:33 AM   #15
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
How many millions of iPhone 5 units out there?

How many iPhone 6 unit out there?

Do you think once the iPhone 6 comes out, people will stop using the iphone 5 all together?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
Depends on the product, but yeah Razor have been slipping every year. While I liked their older stuff, the new stuff is pffft.
MH01 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 05:51 AM   #16
Alenore
macrumors member

And because the iphone 6 will be released, people should just drop support for the iphone 5 and 5s?
It'd be surprising if they didn't already have plans for a bigger controller.

Now if you don't like Razer, fine. It's like picking between AMD and Nvidia, everyone has their own preference and you won't make people change their mind just with your comment.
My Razer mouse is 6 years old and still works flawlessly, so does my 3 years old keyboard, and controller.

It'd be nice if people could stop being so "OMG THAT SUCKS IT'S EVIL JUST DON'T BUY IT'S CRAP". Nothing is SO bad. Jeez.
Alenore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:21 AM   #17
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by batongxue View Post
And it will be obsolete within 3 months
I guess all tech companies should stop support for anything more than 12 months old. It's obsolete!
dannyyankou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:33 AM   #18
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

New form factor coming for the iPhone.

Hope these guys can keep up with new models!
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:36 AM   #19
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAppleGuy View Post
Even if you make it wireless you still have to put the device in the case which for the iPhone 6 would make this a useless purchase "if" your upgrading. The Android offerings have a universal grip and connect to Bluetooth. This product has a better fit than any Android offering but is less universal. I personally would take a universal game controller because I always use cases with my phones.
cdmoore74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:50 AM   #20
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Even if you make it wireless you still have to put the device in the case which for the iPhone 6 would make this a useless purchase "if" your upgrading. The Android offerings have a universal grip and connect to Bluetooth. This product has a better fit than any Android offering but is less universal. I personally would take a universal game controller because I always use cases with my phones.
I have seen cases that were made for iPad that were wireless like an Xbox 360 controller type layout.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 07:13 AM   #21
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

After the iPad, I actually can't game well on my iPhone anymore because of the tiny screen. I don't think this gaming controller well help me. Maybe some reading glasses and something with less action like hangman.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 07:48 AM   #22
nicroma
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Even if you make it wireless you still have to put the device in the case
Who said anything about a case? A Dualshock 4 or a similar controller would be ideal for people who would like their controller to outlast the form factor of the phone.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 08:04 AM   #23
Dagless
macrumors Core

Looks very PSP Go-ish, which was certainly the most uncomfortable of the PSP series.

Thumb resize.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
I guess all tech companies should stop support for anything more than 12 months old. It's obsolete!
I think for many of us it's a pain considering how quickly iPhones are refreshed. Previously in the games market you'd get 1 device that would last the life of the generation (so 3-10 years). A controller you buy for the PS4 today will be usable on the final PS4 model before the PS5, for example.

This is why I don't buy games or accessories for my iPhone and relegate it to a "I don't have my 3DS or Vita on me, let's play Angry Birds for a few minutes" device.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 08:08 AM   #24
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Is an adjustable clip to hold the phone so hard to make? People knocking out $3 tripod adaptors seem to manage it.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 08:20 AM   #25
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

How comfortable is it to play on these slide out controllers?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion