Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:20 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Accessory Makers Ramping Up for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6, Sparking Speculation of September Launch

While rumors have pointed to a late 2014 or early 2015 launch of Apple's rumored 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model, several months later than a 4.7-inch model, Cantor Fiztgerald analyst Brian White points out in a new research note that companies are already beginning to ramp up their production of accessories for the larger device. Based on this observation, White believes the larger-sized iPhone 6 model may in fact debut this fall alongside the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, and his note follows a recent report that Apple has solved its battery issues with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and is planning to manufacture 20 million units by the end of the year.

White bases his prediction on observations he made during his recent tour of Computex, which is being held this week in Taiwan and is Asia's largest technology show.
Quote:
Also at Computex, we noticed that a few vendors had already started work on accessories for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and the pieces were available at the show. Given the lack of data points in recent months around progress with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and growing skepticism in the media around a 2014 launch, we view this as a positive development. Based on today's research, we believe the timing of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 launch appears to be in sync with our expectation around the unveiling (i.e., September) of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.
According to White, manufacturers are also showing a "much broader ramp" of accessories compatible with the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone 6. The 4.7-inch version is widely believed to be launching in September and will headline Apple's fall product lineup, which Apple executive Eddy Cue claims is the best product pipeline he has seen in his 25 years at Apple.

Based on his previous reports, White does not have a particularly solid track record in predicting Apple's plans, and thus his speculation of a simultaneous launch of both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models should be taken with a grain of salt considering other rumors of a gap of up to several months between the two releases. White does, however, frequently tour Asian suppliers and trade shows and is in a position to observe momentum shifts in the supply chain and accessory maker activity.

While the expected overall form factors of the two rumored iPhone 6 models have been circulating for several months, leading to physical mockups from accessory makers and others, actual claimed part leaks for the new devices have remained fairly rare. We've seen a few parts such as an alleged front panel, a display backlight and just last week a rear shell, but typically a number of internal components have leaked by this point in the year and we have yet to see much in that regard.

Article Link: Accessory Makers Ramping Up for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6, Sparking Speculation of September Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:21 AM   #2
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

So they solved a rumored problem for a rumored device so it won't miss its rumored release date.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Sky Blue

I though analysts said it wouldn't be out until 2015

Last edited by balamw; Jun 4, 2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Clean up
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:24 AM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Hopefully this is true, and if indeed it is - we will begin to see a plethora of part leaks in the next couple of months.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
So they solved a rumored problem for a rumored device so it won't miss its rumored release date.
or so the rumour goes ....
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:24 AM   #5
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Regardless of what this guy said, I personally believe they would launch BOTH phones alongside each other. It's either they do both, or the larger phone won't come out until next Fall.

I can't believe they're stuffing everything into the Fall. Still no releases....
newyorksole is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:27 AM   #6
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
Regardless of what this guy said, I personally believe they would launch BOTH phones alongside each other. It's either they do both, or the larger phone won't come out until next Fall.
Of course. It was always going to be this way. There was never going to be a staggered release for iPhone. Such would be a disaster.

Quote:
I can't believe they're stuffing everything into the Fall. Still no releases....
Why? It works out quite well for Apple. You're just sad 'cuz you want it NOW.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:28 AM   #7
driphone
macrumors regular

Siri start the count down
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:31 AM   #8
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

If I see that mockup one more time, I'm deleting my Macrumors account.
dannyyankou is online now   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:32 AM   #9
joelvega125
macrumors regular

Ill be ordering two of these bad boys.
joelvega125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
So they rumoredly solved a rumored problem for a rumored device so it won't miss its rumored release date.

fixed
Nozuka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Shlooky
macrumors member

Quote:

The iPhone 6 will be released this year (obviously) and the iPhone 6 will come in two sizes. So both phones will be announces and released this fall.

Releasing an iPhone 6 next year would not be a good idea. The 6S will be the same sizes but with more enhanced features.
Shlooky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:40 AM   #12
nathreed
macrumors newbie

I love how those mockups are still using random ideas of what iOS 8 would be after iOS 8 has been revealed. Get some new mockups, MacRumors! Or just don't use mockups at all
nathreed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:41 AM   #13
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by driphone View Post
Hey Siri, start the count down
Saved you pressing your home button there....you're welcome!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

4.7 incher here. Cause... size... matters....
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:42 AM   #15
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

All this looking forward to September is making the summer seem tragically short.
barkomatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:42 AM   #16
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Completely agree. If there is a new product category coming, then it will surly warrant an entire presentation just for it? (I'm going on the iPhone and iPad launches here.)

Which means we have a huge iPhone update as well as an iPad update, not to mention any Macs which might be coming.

Perhaps iPads will be delayed until Spring 2015? Or the iWatch/Apple TV will?
thekeyring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:44 AM   #17
patent10021
macrumors 68000

I'm still rocking' the iPhone 4. I'm getting the 5.5 iPhone 6 and it's going to be NUTS!

Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:48 AM   #18
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathreed View Post
I love how those mockups are still using random ideas of what iOS 8 would be after iOS 8 has been revealed. Get some new mockups, MacRumors! Or just don't use mockups at all
AGREE! We need new mockups!

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:49 AM   #19
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
I'm still rocking' the iPhone 4. I'm getting the 5.5 iPhone 6 and it's going to be NUTS!

4S and ready to upgrade, but I have to hold these puppies in my hand, stick one into my pockets etc. to decide.

And please Apple, 128GB gotta be with iOS 8 doing more stuff.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:50 AM   #20
Keerock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
If I see that mockup one more time, I'm deleting my Macrumors account.
Keerock is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:51 AM   #21
Bare
macrumors regular

It must be super cheap to mass produce cases. That's the only explanation for why "case makers" put out all kinds of nonsense so far ahead of actual products. I'm pretty sure there was a case for an iPhone with a big screen ahead of the iPhone 4S announcement.

The obviously inexpensive cost of making these cases makes you wonder why we all pay $40 a piece for cases.
Bare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:54 AM   #22
patent10021
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
4S and ready to upgrade, but I have to hold these puppies in my hand, stick one into my pockets etc. to decide.

And please Apple, 128GB gotta be with iOS 8 doing more stuff.
Why do you have to hold it? It's a done deal. Of course it's going to be big and maybe strange at first but you will buy the 5.5 for sure! Yeah need 128GB since it's going to be a video beast. I think this is a no brainer and there will be 128GB.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:56 AM   #23
BigBeast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Why? It works out quite well for Apple. You're just sad 'cuz you want it NOW.
iDisagree. If Apple doesn't stagger product launches, they lose money in the end, because as much as people love Apple products, the majority of consumers can't afford to buy thousands of dollars worth of product in one or two quarters. It'd be better if they spread product launches over a wider range of time periods, so that people can rationalize their purchases easier.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:59 AM   #24
lilryan10788
macrumors newbie

Improve the camera flash!

No dual LED flash? Or is that just another misleading mockup? The iPhone 5s has a decent flash for those late nights at the club, but they can do better!
lilryan10788 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:01 AM   #25
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Goldilock tried the 4 inch but that was too small, then she tried the 5.5 inch, but that was too big. finally she tried the 4.7 and thought that was just right.

My tiny hands agree. I may go for the 4.7 but the 5.5 is probably not happening.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion