Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
i could be dumb lol, im not understanding how the headphones with the lighting cable will charge the phone and vice versa, eventually something has to give and is apple doing away with the headphone jack? also they must have an idea for a two-way lighting cable connector im guessing

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The former. Seeing as how no product has been released to demonstrate how it gets implemented.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
well if the headphones had a battery they could charge the phone. I believe the main reason to hookup headphones via lightning is to increase audio quality.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
It may be that you can do one or the other, charge or use headphones, at a time. I hope this isn't the case.

Another possibility is a pass through on headphone plug for the charging cable similar to the old digital tv adapter.

accessory-apple-digital-av-adapter.jpg

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
You probably dont want me to answer your question...

i beg you

----------

It may be that you can do one or the other, charge or use headphones, at a time. I hope this isn't the case.

Another possibility is a pass through on headphone plug for the charging cable similar to the old digital tv adapter.

exactly what i was thinking, in other words the consumer will have to pay more money for the adaptor, typical apple

larrygornick

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
I'm sorry, I don't know the story here--- Apple is getting rid of headphone jack ports on the next generation?? That's stupid...like when they got rid of the cd drive in the imac. I hated that.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
I'm sorry, I don't know the story here--- Apple is getting rid of headphone jack ports on the next generation?? That's stupid...like when they got rid of the cd drive in the imac. I hated that.

its on the front page under the headphone picture, just saying they will make or have made a light cable for the beats to charge the phone and or be charged by the phone

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
ok so if they're replacing the 3.5mm jack, then will they use 2 lightning ports then? lol. one for charging the phone and one for the headphones? how can the phone charge if you're already using the headphones.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
ok so if they're replacing the 3.5mm jack, then will they use 2 lightning ports then? lol. one for charging the phone and one for the headphones? how can the phone charge if you're already using the headphones.

No one is getting rid of the headphone jack.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
uhm that's what the rumors are implying..

The article says 48 Khz stereo digital output, and that the mic would be a mono digital input. The 3.5mm headphone jack is analog.

So, based on that, no, the 3.5mm plug is not going away - not as long as Apple needs to bundle-in affordable EarPods. The new specification is for headphones/headphone amps that come with digital to analog converters and ultra-high quality audio amps. The gear is already out there, they just need to add the Lightning I/O... A digital mic input seems right for recording/live performance situations.

As far as the charge or be charged thing... They can stash a whoppin' big battery in a set of headphones (relative to the iPhone's). So why not allow for the possibility of the headphones extending iPhone uptime?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Could be that Apple and beats will release wireless digital headphones for the iPhone 6 that just charge via a lightning cable. Doesn't need to be connected directly to the phone at all..

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
This is probably to attract audiophiles to the platform I imagine. While they're a niche market, they do love to spend money to get better specs.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
First, getting rid of the 3.5mm audio jack is a rumor. I thought I would point this out because the OP seems to be expressing it as a certainty.

Second, there are a few scenarios here. The first, and less likely, is one where you cannot have headphones plugged in WHILE charging. That would be a bummer.

The better scenario is having an optional adapter available so that a 3.5mm port or a lightning port audio cable along with a charging cable can be plugged in. This would make the most sense.

Something some folks haven't yet mentioned (or I haven;t seen it mentioned) is for something like a noise cancelling pair of headphones we could do away with external batteries. They could just be powered by the phone via the lightning jack. So I can certainly see use for this. There is also the potential to allow the phone to be thinner (not something I care for much but whatever) and, of course, simply give more room for other hardware.

If this does become a reality, there will be some growing pains and gripes, just like with the lightning port. Cables were initially very expensive and many of use had to go out and replace cables and other accessories that we had accrued over the years in order to use our new idevices. Same would go, to some degree, with headphones. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of many reasons behind the beats aquisition. I actually don't find beats to be as terrible as people claim (sue me, whatever). Then again, my wife got them for almost free as a Best Buy manager, so I might feel different had I dropped three Benjamins on them. I would certainly consider a set of lightning beats, but not being able to use them with any of my other devices might hold me back a bit. The fact that the port is proproetary, at least to my knowledge, would also hold me back, seeing as how that would mean we are unlikely to see it on other non-Apple products.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I bet you lightning will be standard across the board... licensing money here we go :)

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
They better not be heading the Sony way where only their brand products work. It's already irritable we don't have micro sd slots. Not being able to use my current noise cancelling headphones would suck. Keep 3.5mm headphone jack please.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
They better not be heading the Sony way where only their brand products work. It's already irritable we don't have micro sd slots. Not being able to use my current noise cancelling headphones would suck. Keep 3.5mm headphone jack please.

that'll suck if they were to do that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.