Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:45 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Fleksy Offers Beta Preview as Keyboard Makers Look Forward to iOS 8

Keyboard developer Fleksy today announced that the company has its iOS keyboard alternative running on iOS 8. Apple revealed earlier this week during its WWDC 2014 keynote that iOS 8 will support the system wide implementation of these third-party keyboards.

An alternative to a traditional keyboard, Fleksy boasts improved typing speeds through the use of automated word suggestions and a sophisticated autocorrect engine that corrects errors on the fly. It also incorporates a gesture system that lets users complete common tasks like inserting spaces and punctuation through swipes.

Fleksy tweeted a screenshot of its keyboard on iOS 8, along with an invitation for users to register for a preview of its iOS 8 keyboard app. iPhone and iPad owners running a beta version of iOS 8 on their devices can sign up for a preview on Fleksy's website. The company will notify customers via email when the public beta program goes live.

Fleksy won't be the only third-party keyboard available to consumers when iOS 8 launches later this year. Both Swiftkey and popular Android keyboard Swype confirmed they plan to launch iOS 8-compatible versions of their keyboard apps.
Quote:
"We're delighted Apple has decided to embrace the importance of opening its platform to third party keyboards.
We first brought a taste of our technology to iOS in January this year with the launch of the free note-taking app SwiftKey Note. Are we going to build SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS 8? Of course we are. We've already started, writes Swiftkey founders Ben Medlock and Jon Reynolds."
Both Switfkey and Fleksy already offer versions of their keyboards for iPhone and iPad owners, but their functionality is limited due to iOS constraints that prohibit their system-wide installation. iOS 8 will remove this restriction, making it possible for all keyboard makers, including iOS newcomer Swype, to bring their keyboards to Apple's mobile platform. The beta version of iOS 8 is available now to developers, with a public release expected this fall.

Article Link: Fleksy Offers Beta Preview as Keyboard Makers Look Forward to iOS 8
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
dweezle3
macrumors regular

Can't wait for Yose to port HipJot/NinType (this) to use as a system wide keyboard.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:49 AM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezle3 View Post
Can't wait for Yose to port HipJot/NinType (this) to use as a system wide keyboard.
From my experience, it's terrible compared to Swiftkey.
3bs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Burger Thing
macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Good move by Apple to open up iOS and allow Developers deeper access into the system. iOS 8 is the biggest leap forward IMHO. We shall see some great Apps in the future and a significantly improved user experience.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

I'm pretty excited to get to try out these keyboards finally!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #6
sransari
macrumors 6502

Omg custom KB has been on android for years!!!!!

Except one minor detail...on an iphone, the custom KB won't conflict with other operations of the phone and be one of the many reasons your android is a buggy, laggy, useless piece, despite the supposedly superior hardware (since we all know clock speed and RAM size are the only hardware benchmarks).
sransari is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:52 AM   #7
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Anyone know how Fleksy compares to Swype?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:52 AM   #8
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Boom. Swype will be on my iPhone as soon as its possible. Really miss swype typing.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:52 AM   #9
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezle3 View Post
Yeah, Hipjot is a great little app. Love the keyboard, but I don't like the fact that there's no iPad version and there is also no automatic backup of your data to either iCloud or Dropbox.

Right now I'm learning to how be efficient with Fleksy. I have a few other apps that I use with the Fleksy keyboard.
sk1wbw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:53 AM   #10
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Isn't it great to see this type of cross pollination between iOS and Android
diddl14 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:55 AM   #11
ionjohn
macrumors 65816

I needz 'dis, I wantz dis'.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Tux Kapono
macrumors member

What about this...

Quote:
Apple has said that security is a top priority for the company in finally allowing third-party keyboards on iOS. Before installing a keyboard in iOS 8, users are warned with the following:

"Full access allows the developer to transmit anything you type, including things you have previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...n-apples-ios-8
Tux Kapono is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:58 AM   #13
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Can anyone explain how Apple plans to implement this? Will 3rd party keyboards be available for download in the App store and once a user does download them, they'll be added to the keyboards section of general settings from where the user can just tap the globe icon of the standard keyboard to change to the preferred keyboard?

That sounds a bit confusing while reading too!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:01 PM   #14
outphase
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux Kapono View Post
What about this...
That's when a keyboard wants to communicate to the outside world. You're given the prompt before it can happen.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:02 PM   #15
bushido
macrumors 603

they should also add lower and capital letters on the keyboard. i have it on my jailbroken iPhone and it makes it a lot easier to see what you are actually in right now
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
dweezle3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
From my experience, it's terrible compared to Swiftkey.
Really? Wow. I'm getting around 100wpm with it, maybe I'll have to try SwiftKey...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #17
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

And the only way of getting it is going and getting an app? So there are going to be millions of apps with just 1 keyboard in it?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
"Full access allows the developer to transmit anything you type, including things you have previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address."
I don't see why the keyboard plug-in has to have "full access" in the first place. It's a possible security risk, the option shouldn't even be available in the first place. Keyboard plug-in should mean no communication and no storage.
Yvan256 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post

Except one minor detail...on an iphone, the custom KB won't conflict with other operations of the phone and be one of the many reasons your android is a buggy, laggy, useless piece, despite the supposedly superior hardware (since we all know clock speed and RAM size are the only hardware benchmarks).
...I have never ever had a problem with a custom keyboard on Android and not even sure I've heard of that happening lol. There might be a lot wrong with Android but I don't think that's even in the top ten.
Hastings101 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:12 PM   #20
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post

What are you even referring to?
raazman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:14 PM   #21
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddl14 View Post
Isn't it great to see this type of cross pollination between iOS and Android
Yeah, except that Android didn't invent these keyboards, they just enabled the ability to use different keyboards.

----------

You don't have to have iOS 8 to use custom keyboards. If you have Fleksy installed, it will install its own keyboard on the apps that support it. Such as Tweetings 2, Write, FNotes, and lots of others.
sk1wbw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:15 PM   #22
goaliemn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
I don't see why the keyboard plug-in has to have "full access" in the first place. It's a possible security risk, the option shouldn't even be available in the first place. Keyboard plug-in should mean no communication and no storage.
On android devices, some keyboards will give you the option to log into and read your tweets/gmail to build a custom dictionary, plus some allow you to download different language dictionaries.

The one way I see around that is not allow the dictionary build, which wouldn't be that big of a deal, and then allow additional dictionaries via in-app purchases, or instead of having one keyboard in the app store, then download the language, have multiple keyboards in the app store with each one having its own language.
goaliemn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:15 PM   #23
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
And the only way of getting it is going and getting an app? So there are going to be millions of apps with just 1 keyboard in it?
That was the old way of using custom keyboards on iOS.

iOS 8 allows you to install new keyboards direct from the App Store.
Xenc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:18 PM   #24
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Signed up, can't WAIT. Even though I AM actually already using Fleksy within apps.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:20 PM   #25
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

So far the word predictions just slow me down as I try to switch back and forth between the two inputs. Its faster to just keep typing, no matter how big the word is.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion