Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I found the StarTech USB1000IP adapter that allows sharing of a USB device over a network through an ethernet connection.

Unfortunately I received it only to find that there is no Mac OS X driver available.

Is anyone aware of any Mac-compatible adapters that will allow someone to share a USB device over the network? I'm trying to place a Dymo postal scale next to my printer. The distance is too far to run a USB cord around the room (to hide the cord). The only way I can think of is to attach it via ethernet to my switch that's at the printer.

Any help would be appreciated!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I found the StarTech USB1000IP adapter that allows sharing of a USB device over a network through an ethernet connection.

Unfortunately I received it only to find that there is no Mac OS X driver available.

Is anyone aware of any Mac-compatible adapters that will allow someone to share a USB device over the network? I'm trying to place a Dymo postal scale next to my printer. The distance is too far to run a USB cord around the room (to hide the cord). The only way I can think of is to attach it via ethernet to my switch that's at the printer.

Any help would be appreciated!

Do you need to extend via IP (i.e. over a live network cable), or just using Cat5 Ethernet cable (dedicated wire for this purpose)?

If you can use dedicated Cat5 this product says it's Mac compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.