Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlsbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi guys

Two weeks ago I bought a used Cinema Display. I've been pretty happy with it so far but today as I was about to watch a movie I spotted an eyesore of epic proportions. I noticed in the bottom right of the display as I was watching it from an angle.

Now before I go screaming at the guy I bought the display from I thought I'd run it by you guys.

The line you see on the picture doesn't really move if I gently touch the display; it seems to be something underneath the glass.

Here's what I've tried:

Using the display with a new MacBook Air 11.6"
Using the display with a new MacBook Pro Retina 15"
Using all available resolutions

I've gently transported the display from seller's house to my own where I installed the display. I've barely touched it since and never in a way that could cause something like this.

sNbZcNW.jpg

EeEA0oo.jpg

What do you think is going on here? And what could have caused it?

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi guys

Two weeks ago I bought a used Cinema Display. I've been pretty happy with it so far but today as I was about to watch a movie I spotted an eyesore of epic proportions. I noticed in the bottom right of the display as I was watching it from an angle.

Now before I go screaming at the guy I bought the display from I thought I'd run it by you guys.

The line you see on the picture doesn't really move if I gently touch the display; it seems to be something underneath the glass.

Here's what I've tried:

I've gently transported the display from seller's house to my own where I installed the display. I've barely touched it since and never in a way that could cause something like this.

Thanks.

I have seen this on an IBM monitor from years ago. Does the display appear physically warped? Hard to tell in the pictures.

Carlsbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thank you for trying :)

Seller is clueless. Whether he is being truthful or not I don't know. I don't have any rights in that regard so I'm not going to hassle him. I have no proof.

I did some more research and found this guy. He had the same problem it seems.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2600858

I'm going to buy a suction cup and remove the glass from the display. Hopefully I might be able to re-attach whatever has come loose. My logic tells me it has to be between the display and the glass, as I'm guessing it's not possible for something to be stuck BEHIND both the glass and the display.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you for trying :)

Seller is clueless. Whether he is being truthful or not I don't know. I don't have any rights in that regard so I'm not going to hassle him. I have no proof.

I did some more research and found this guy. He had the same problem it seems.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2600858

I'm going to buy a suction cup and remove the glass from the display. Hopefully I might be able to re-attach whatever has come loose. My logic tells me it has to be between the display and the glass, as I'm guessing it's not possible for something to be stuck BEHIND both the glass and the display.

If you have a Genius Bar nearby they can tell you and clean it if that's the issue.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I don't. We don't have any of those in Denmark oddly enough. I'm going to try doing something about it myself. My OCD is killing me ;-)

The only reason why I doubt it is debris is because with the IBM it did not have glass but rather just a soft matte screen.

Carlsbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
So I bought a suction cup and removed the glass. Turns out the problem actually is behind the actual display. I've got two options now. One is sending it in for repair, the second is using a dark desktop wallpaper. I've gone with the latter for now, I have a feeling it's going to be expensive getting it repaired (no warranty).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I bought a suction cup and removed the glass. Turns out the problem actually is behind the actual display. I've got two options now. One is sending it in for repair, the second is using a dark desktop wallpaper. I've gone with the latter for now, I have a feeling it's going to be expensive getting it repaired (no warranty).

How much did you pay for the display?

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
could be a loose cable between the screen and the backlight, at least that's what it looks like. if your tech savvy and are feeling cocky, you can find some "screen unbezeling" videos that take the screens apart without damaging them. you might be able to stick the cable back on to where it got loose from... if that's truly the cause for the shadow.

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
I know exactly what's going on here, but the fix may not be simple. The material you see is a flexible gasket between the LCD panel frame and an LCD glass layer. When manufactured a small bit of adhesive secures it to the frame. Over time it dries out due to the heat, works loose and what you see there can happen. If you were able to get the outer glass cover off with suction cups, you might be able to use a spudger to press the gasket back into the frame. If it's in a deeper layer of the LCD, replacement of the panel is likely the only feasible option.

Either way the display will work just fine, but you may see more of this in the future.

Hi guys

Here's what I've tried:

Thanks.

Carlsbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I hate it when people ask a question in a forum, find the answer and forget to update their threads so others can benefit from their research.

This guide fixed my problem. I instantly recognized the issue when I read the following description:

Ah hah! I found the problem!! As the pictures below reveal the rubber stripping surrounding the backlighting assembly in the problem area had worked itself loose - protruding slightly into the viewable area

http://perren.blogspot.dk/2010/09/apple-24-led-cinema-display-teardown.html

So there you go. If you have the same problem the above can most likely fix it for you. What you need is a suction cup and a Torx screwdriver (T10).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I hate it when people ask a question in a forum, find the answer and forget to update their threads so others can benefit from their research.

This guide fixed my problem. I instantly recognized the issue when I read the following description:

http://perren.blogspot.dk/2010/09/apple-24-led-cinema-display-teardown.html

So there you go. If you have the same problem the above can most likely fix it for you. What you need is a suction cup and a Torx screwdriver (T10).

Seems like a bit of an annoying but necessary repair. Glad it worked out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.