Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
I know that the xserve is apparently not at all able to boot windows due to the fact that it lacks a bios emulation-layer. However many have said everywhere of success natively installing windows 8 or 7 via efi and not bios. However, it is only for efi 2.0 macs, so us with efi 1.1 are out in the junkyard. So is it possible to flash the efi 1.1 with 2.0? windows only supports efi 2.0. It also states "efi 1.1 for Itanium Based systems" So is there any efi 1.1 support for non-itanium based macs. Do you need to flash the firmware and not efi with one of say a macbook air 2013-14 that included efi version 2.0? As far as this Windows will work natively on the intel Xserve as long as it doesnt run in CSM layer bios. Linux will work, as it supports efi 1.1, but windows nothing.
Thank you for help.

iphone2GAND3GFAN

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Consider rEFInd. I think it'll work, I can't guarantee it. Let us know what happens.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Yeah I forgot, I think that refit or refind can actually emulate various booting methods, and a thread also said that it will emulate efi 64 bit for 2006- machines with the 32 bit efi. But no thread actually discusses flashing efi 2.0 to older efi 1.1 apples. But here's the catch: Microsoft actually supports native efi 2.0, so a video depicts an air booting windows 8 in 3 seconds because it does not require the long BIOS emulation. Add the pcie based storage and windows starts lightning fast. However, pre 11' macs have efi 1.1, so it is not supported except for apparently Itanium-based pc's running efi 1.1. So how does Windows have support for IA-32,64 in efi 1.1 and i386, 486, 586 and x86-64 are not supported? Because apparently as also said by other thread, the FIRMWARE contains the required BIOS emulation, so firmware is flashable. But how do you do that? To me it does not matter if it needs to emulate bios or if I have to flash the machine to efi 2.0 as long as it actually starts Windows. I will probably run Server 2008 R2 and enable windows 7 looks. And if at the end I do need to flash the firmware, I will probably flash a Mac Pro 2012 model's efi, but no thread mentions efi 1.1 or 2.0. The Air has efi 2.0 as it can boot windows via native efi, and so means it has the efi 2.0 firmware. Does anyone also care to upload an extracted firmware file from a 2013 or 14 macbook air? Thank you.

Greetings,

iPhone2G&3Gfan

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
And if at the end I do need to flash the firmware, I will probably flash a Mac Pro 2012 model's efi, but no thread mentions efi 1.1 or 2.0.

You can't just flash some random firmware update to a given computer as your computer will be rendered useless.
Firmware is specific to hardware, so if you were to somehow figure out how to flash Macbook Air or 2012 Mac Pro firmware to an Xserve, that firmware will not contain code on how to operate the hardware in the Xserve and you will end up with a brick.
If you want to use 64-bit Windows on your Xserve, the best way to do it is by using VMWare ESXi which is supported on those systems, and then virtualizing Windows on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.