Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I have a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7 right now, and it is connected via Wifi, and a Mac Pro 1,1 running OSX 10.9.2 which does not have a Wifi adapter installed on it. What I'd like to do is share the internet connection from my Macbook Pro with my Mac Pro via ethernet. They are both connected with a wired ethernet hub, along with my Xbox. I went to System Preferences -> Sharing and enabled internet sharing on both devices using the appropriate methods of connection. Nothing is working so far. I've searched google, but I only find articles about creating a wifi hotspot, which isn't what I need.

Lastly, I'm using a neighbour's wifi signal, so I can't connect to the router directly, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. Any ideas? Thanks.

Shogun.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sharing should be enabled only on the MacBook Pro, using the steps listed here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3853

In this case you'd choose Airport (or Wifi) for the "Share your connection from", and select Ethernet for "To computers using"

The Mac Pro should not have sharing enabled, it's simply a client on the network that the MacBook Pro is creating.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Tried it, still not working.

My Macbook says it's connected (Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 169.254.71.202.), but the Mac Pro says Self-Assigned IP (Ethernet 1 has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet) and the IP reads as 169.254.24.63.

What does this mean? Sorry, I suck at this networking stuff.

Shogun.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Tried it, still not working.

My Macbook says it's connected (Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 169.254.71.202.), but the Mac Pro says Self-Assigned IP (Ethernet 1 has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet) and the IP reads as 169.254.24.63.

What does this mean? Sorry, I suck at this networking stuff.

Shogun.

That is a self addressed IP so it couldn't pick up an IP.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Any solution for this?

Turn off sharing on every device and reboot to make sure you start fresh. Check the WiFi connection on the MBP and make sure it's connected to the router and working. You should have an IP address on your neighbor's LAN. We assume you have permission to do this.

Then go to System Preferences->Sharing and turn on Internet sharing. Select the WiFi connection as the share from and the Ethernet port as the share to. That should do it. I've only done it the other way where I had a ethernet port in a hotel and wanted to share the connection with an iDevice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.