Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Quick question about dual SSDs in my Late-09 mini server:
(not used as a server; it's my primary desktop)

I currently have ONE 120GB OCZ Agility 3 in my mini server and want to add a second drive to running as a striped RAID. Should I buy another identical drive or would any 120GB SSD be OK? Would there be any advantage to going with another Agility 3 or would I not notice any difference? Keep in mind that my mini is limited to SATA II. The reason I ask is because I can get a NEW SSD for what I'd pay for a USED Agility 3. This is a last ditch give-the-old-mini-a-boost before replacement idea...

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone goes on the "oooh, don't rely on striped RAID - it's not safe" rant, my DATA all lives on a mirrored RAID firewire drive AND is backed up twice (Time Machine and an off-site cloned copy of my most important photos and documents). The striped RAID SSDs would be only for OSX and apps. :)

Last edited:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
It's not critical to have identical drives, but if they are the same price I would get identical ones. More recent drives won't see any improvement on a SATA II interface. If one is slightly different in size you will only have the smaller amount available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.