Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iWatch Component Production Said to Start Gearing Up This Month, September Launch Speculated

Production of components for Apple's iWatch is reportedly starting later this month, leading to speculation by Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White that the device will see a launch as soon as September alongside the iPhone 6.
Quote:
With the theme around wearable technology at Computex this year, our research has uncovered more data points as it relates to Apple's "iWatch." Our meeting with a tech supply chain company highlighted that initial production of certain "iWatch" components is scheduled to begin later this month and there are plans for a sharp acceleration into fall.

Given the trajectory of this ramp and our experience analyzing other product ramps at Apple, we expect the "iWatch" to be unveiled with the iPhone 6 in September. Since our research suggests the first iteration of the "iWatch" is more of a companion device, and thus requires a connection to an iPhone, we believe unveiling the two new devices at the same time makes sense.
White believes the iWatch will be available at several pricing increments much like the iPhone and the iPad, indicating that prices could start at $199 to $229 to compete with other smart watches currently on the market.

iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand
Several other rumors have pointed towards a fall launch for the iWatch, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicting a third quarter launch, which has also been echoed by various Asian news sources including the Economic Daily News and Digitimes. Apple is also likely aiming for a fall launch for its 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which could see the two devices unveiled together.

Little physical information has surfaced on the iWatch thus far, but supply chain rumors have suggested the device will come in two separate sizes (1.3 inches and 1.5-1.7 inches) to accommodate different sized wrists. It is also said to include a multitude of biometric sensors to measure various health metrics and it is also expected to interface with the new Health app in iOS 8.

White also believes that the 5.5-inch iPhone, which was rumored to be delayed due to production issues, could launch alongside the 4.7-inch iPhone and the iWatch. He released a report detailing his reasons yesterday and today confirms that research is "uncovering more evidence that the 5.5- inch iPhone 6 will launch this fall."

Having previously predicted seemingly outlandish products such as the "iRing" able to control an Apple television set, Brian White does not have a particularly solid track record when it comes to predicting Apple's plans, but with multiple rumors converging on a fall release date for both the iWatch and the two versions of the iPhone, it is possible we will see all three products before the end of the year.

Article Link: iWatch Component Production Said to Start Gearing Up This Month, September Launch Speculated
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Sky Blue

Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV
Sky Blue is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:45 PM   #3
grimmace
macrumors regular

Say No to the bracelet above.
iPad Air
grimmace is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

An...iWatch? What? Why haven't I heard about this before???
Xenomorph is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV
That seems pretty damn accurate to me
mattopotamus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM   #6
avonord
macrumors member

iOS8 is not shipping until this fall. Of course the new iDevices will be following the same time line.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:48 PM   #7
maplingstorie
macrumors regular

don't forget 4k Cinema Displays!!!
maplingstorie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:51 PM   #8
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
Absolutely YES
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:53 PM   #9
leesmith2
macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iWatch get its own event. It's a whole new product line.
leesmith2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Supacon
macrumors member

I'll eat an arbitrary article of clothing if Apple calls whatever this is 'iWatch'. More likely iWear or something comparably cheesy. But I think Apple's days of naming major new products something starting with 'i' are over.
Supacon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:58 PM   #11
nezr
macrumors newbie

Where is Mr Blurrycam ?
nezr is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:03 PM   #12
mohdamerul
macrumors member

no leaks? it's made in usa, that's why.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:07 PM   #13
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

MR could take a lesson from Brian White, who consistently refers to the "iWatch" in quotes, presumably knowing full well that the chances Apple will actually use this name for their wearable tech are close to nil.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:08 PM   #14
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohdamerul View Post
no leaks? it's made in usa, that's why.
If it's made in the USA, it's likely that they'll get one off the production line in a month.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:08 PM   #15
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
Totally agree. As a man, can't see myself wearing something like that. Even though it's just a mock up, I can't see beyond this:
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:12 PM   #16
famoussasjohn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith2 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the iWatch get its own event. It's a whole new product line.
Or a possible "One more thing..." moment, or whatever Cook goes with, if at all.
famoussasjohn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:13 PM   #17
Radio
In Time-Out

Nobody wants an iWatch

Everyone will look silly using the same watch.

Only nerds like people wearing google glass in public will use it

Tech gear must be attractive

Human nature doesn't like a watch that everyone has people.

Apple must know this hence many iterations

They aren't there yet IMO
Radio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:15 PM   #18
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacon View Post
I'll eat an arbitrary article of clothing if Apple calls whatever this is 'iWatch'. More likely iWear or something comparably cheesy. But I think Apple's days of naming major new products something starting with 'i' are over.
I expect they will stick with the i-Product naming convention, but I totally agree that "iWatch" is very unlikely to be the name they use. This name was entirely a creation of the rumor industry, and it makes no sense as anything more than a placeholder for a product that essentially nobody outside of Apple knows anything about. I thought it was kind of ironic for MR to be calling out Brian White for his less than stellar "track record" in predicting Apple products, since by putting the name in quotes, he seems to be getting at least this one thing right, and it's one that MR never has.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:16 PM   #19
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Aug/Sept for the events rather than Sept/Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Nobody wants an iWatch

I want a watch if it does useful things. Am I nobody? People don't mind using the same phone - this will be a similar thing. It can be attractive without being highly unique, and people will want to wear them.
chrisbru is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:20 PM   #20
ZildjianLudwig
macrumors newbie

Has anyone discussed how this design keeps from spinning endlessly on the wrist? Or do we believe that a gyroscope always keeps the focus "up?" (And in that case, what if you're lying down? Do we need a switch to lock orientation?)

Also, most of us aren't going to want a plastic-y bangle hitting our desks as we type all day long.

This design can't be right.
ZildjianLudwig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Aug/Sept for the events rather than Sept/Oct.

I want a watch if it does useful things. Am I nobody? People don't mind using the same phone - this will be a similar thing. It can be attractive without being highly unique, and people will want to wear them.
We'll see

If I get an iWatch you can't get one

It would be really tacky if we are both wearing them ; same color size etc
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:23 PM   #22
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

They'll need to do a big marketing push by having celebrities be "spotted" wearing them (unfortunately). Most people follow the herd and will only buy one if it seems socially acceptable/cool. Apple has an uphill battle here, it is by no means a guaranteed home run. A phone sits in your pocket, a watch sits on your wrist for everyone to gawk at...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:23 PM   #23
dauby88
macrumors member

Quote:
Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV
The only issue here is that iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite need to release at the same time. The iCloud features are dependent on each other, and you need both for the collaboration features.
dauby88 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:24 PM   #24
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
I expect they will stick with the i-Product naming convention, but I totally agree that "iWatch" is very unlikely to be the name they use. This name was entirely a creation of the rumor industry, and it makes no sense as anything more than a placeholder for a product that essentially nobody outside of Apple knows anything about. I thought it was kind of ironic for MR to be calling out Brian White for his less than stellar "track record" in predicting Apple products, since by putting the name in quotes, he seems to be getting at least this one thing right, and it's one that MR never has.
You guys do realize that Apple already registered the name iWatch in several countries already. So I think at this point a done deal it's going to be called iWatch. Other wise why to through all the trouble to register the name.

Then again they could be doing that to throw everyone off lol
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:25 PM   #25
joshdammit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Nobody wants an iWatch

How come you aren't posting any pictures of it, since apparently you've seen it and are able to make these claims?

Also, you're right, they aren't there yet. They will (presumably) be there this fall. Say what you will about Apple, but it's hard to deny they have a certain talent in making us want something regular people otherwise wouldn't have considered before.
joshdammit is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion